News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Wacky Modification to Football Scoring

Started by vtk, October 19, 2013, 09:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtk

So I've been thinking about a way to modify football scoring.  It shouldn't change outcomes too wildly, but it places a little more importance on stamina and possibly changing strategy for the second half, while making ties at the end of 4 quarters less likely.

The first half is scored as normal, except the point values are multiplied by 10. Point After Touchdown and Two-Point Conversion might need new names, as they're now worth 10 and 20 points respectively.

Point values for scoring events in the second half are increased slightly, based on what happened in the first half:  Every first-half TD scored by either team increases the value of a second-half FG by 1.  Every first-half FG scored by either team increases the value of a second-half TD by 1.  Every first half PAT scored by either team increases the value of a second-half 2PC by 1.  Every first-half 2PC scored by either team increases the value of a second-half PAT by one.  Every first-half safety scored by either team increases the values of second-half FGs and TDs by 1.

In the less likely but still possible event that the 4th quarter ends with a tied score, some manner of overtime will be used.  The specifics of that are beyond the scope of this proposal.

My mom thinks this change would be wildly unpopular.  She also doesn't like The Chase in NASCAR, or the double/triple points in Family Feud.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

hotdogPi

First, divide all points by 10, so the first half is normal, and in the second half, there is a decimal.

Also, what happens if the first half is scoreless?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

vtk

Quote from: 1 on October 19, 2013, 09:39:09 PM
First, divide all points by 10, so the first half is normal, and in the second half, there is a decimal.

Also, what happens if the first half is scoreless?

I figured fans would cope better with triple-digit scores than fractional points.

If the first half is scoreless, then the second half point values are unchanged from what they would have been in the first half.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Scott5114

I can't speak for what this would do for football as I don't know a lot about the particulars of the game, but your mom's right about the triple-point round in Family Feud–it makes all the preceding rounds pointless since 300 points wins the game and the triple point round usually has a shade under 300 points in and of itself–so unless you lose every round and then win the triple round, winning the triple round clinches the game for you.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.