The NFL is tough on people who wear a specific headphone

Started by bing101, October 11, 2014, 09:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/sports/2949519-181/story.html

the 49ers Colin Kaepernick has been fined for $10k for using headphones not issued by the NFL

Zeffy

Maybe he's secretly promoting Beats by getting fined. I mean think about it - it completely promotes it because of course the media reports it. I bet Dre laughs at those $10k fines because of all the recognition his Beats headphones are getting in the media.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Brandon

This is why the NFL is nuts.  He wore them after the game.  As far as I'm concerned, it's his own private business, and the NFL, aka No Fun League, can fuck off.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Billy F 1988

Quote from: Brandon on October 11, 2014, 10:15:19 PM
This is why the NFL is nuts.  He wore them after the game.  As far as I'm concerned, it's his own private business, and the NFL, aka No Fun League, can fuck off.

Billy Fortner has fined the NFL $100,000 for being a bunch of retarded assholes who can't tell left from right. Conduct detrimental to the organization.  :bigass:

*stick that up the pipe, Roger Goodell!*
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

bing101

Quote from: Brandon on October 11, 2014, 10:15:19 PM

The Crazy Part is that the NFL does not understand how to handle the Big Scandals that's been at play here. Too distracted with the little stuff here.

Pete from Boston

The NFL makes its money by selling a tightly regulated false reality.  This reality also ignores brain injury and criminal behavior, which are like unsanctioned headphones in that they disrupt the illusion of control. 

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Zeffy on October 11, 2014, 09:18:33 PM
Maybe he's secretly promoting Beats by getting fined. I mean think about it - it completely promotes it because of course the media reports it. I bet Dre laughs at those $10k fines because of all the recognition his Beats headphones are getting in the media.

QuoteSan Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick said Thursday that he has been fined $10,000 by the NFL for the pink "Beats by Dre" brand name headphones he wore around his neck after Sunday's game.

I think he's not so secretly promoting them.  After all, the NFL didn't report the fine to the media.  Kaepernick did that himself.  It's very clear he wanted to get fined...and was probably ticked the NFL didn't publically announce it.  I'm sure Beats will gladly pay the fine on his behalf for the free advertising he brought to the brand.

TheKnightoftheInterstate

Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 15, 2014, 12:21:29 PM
The NFL makes its money by selling a tightly regulated false reality.  This reality also ignores brain injury and criminal behavior, which are like unsanctioned headphones in that they disrupt the illusion of control.

I wonder how many players back in the day played with head injuries of their own will. The players did create a culture of playing through pain. It is not all on the back of the NFL. 
I-99= From Cumberland to Corning if life was fair

I-95 disappearance and reappearance in NJ is the greatest trick since Houdini

Irony: When a road geek doesn't know how to drive

Let's Go Bucs!

These boots had to see California
and an Arizona morning where God paints the sky
-Eric Church

Pete from Boston

Quote from: TheKnightoftheInterstate on October 15, 2014, 12:55:24 PM

I wonder how many players back in the day played with head injuries of their own will. The players did create a culture of playing through pain. It is not all on the back of the NFL.

When you work for someone that promotes a culture that promotes debilitating injury–particularly an it willfully works to keep quiet about–that someone is liable, no ifs, ands, or buts.

We're not talking about bad knees here, we're talking rapidly accelerated end-of-life conditions players could not have been aware of. 

In any other business, if your workers willfully put themselves in harm's way to do your work, it is on you to either stop them or get new workers.

It's on the back of the NFL, for sure.

TheKnightoftheInterstate

Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 15, 2014, 01:41:57 PM
Quote from: TheKnightoftheInterstate on October 15, 2014, 12:55:24 PM

When you work for someone that promotes a culture that promotes debilitating injury–particularly an it willfully works to keep quiet about–that someone is liable, no ifs, ands, or buts.

We're not talking about bad knees here, we're talking rapidly accelerated end-of-life conditions players could not have been aware of. 

In any other business, if your workers willfully put themselves in harm's way to do your work, it is on you to either stop them or get new workers.

It's on the back of the NFL, for sure.

The NFL promotes head injuries in their advertisements?

If my workers want to take stupid risks, I advise them not to and if they continued to choose the wrong path, that is on them, not me.

And if the players didn't know the risks, how would the NFL know the risks back in the older days?

The NFL doesn't need to legally compensate all of those players. They should donate some funds out of the goodness of their hearts, but they shouldn't be legally forced to pay.
I-99= From Cumberland to Corning if life was fair

I-95 disappearance and reappearance in NJ is the greatest trick since Houdini

Irony: When a road geek doesn't know how to drive

Let's Go Bucs!

These boots had to see California
and an Arizona morning where God paints the sky
-Eric Church

mgk920

As for the subject of the OP, IMHO, this is no different then, for example, Coke firing a route delivery driver for being caught drinking a Pepsi.  The NFL has a sponsorship deal with competitor Bose.

Mike

Pete from Boston

Advertisements?  Huh?

There is at least twenty-year pattern at this point of the NFL not only ignoring the evidence, but aggressively trying to discredit it. 

If you let workers injure themselves doing your business when you know they are likely to (and allow them to continue), you had better prepare for a lawsuit when they get hurt or killed.  Your business, your liability.

Moreover, and perhaps most importantly, the NFL did not say "play at your own risk," nor did it say "do not play through these head injuries because they will drastically shorten your functional life." Instead, when presented with evidence, they declined to act on it, which is negligent, and tried to keep it quiet, which borders on criminal.

Meanwhile, it's busy defending headphone sponsorships.

roadman

Frankly, the whole "Official (insert anything here) of the (insert the name of any professional sports team here)" concept is ludicrous, especially when the item in question is totally unrelated to sports.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Pete from Boston

Tom Landry, Hank Stram, and Vince Lombardi would be fined in today's NFL for thinking for themselves wearing a suit on the sidelines and not official NFL-licensed team-logo apparel. 

triplemultiplex

Gotta protect the only people the NFL really cares about; advertisers!
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Pete from Boston

Billy F 1988

That explains in my own terms what the NFL stands for:

Nautrally For Losers! :biggrin:
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.