News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Greetings!

Started by jhuntin1, January 07, 2014, 10:39:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhuntin1

Hi, everyone. I'm Jeff, a longtime AARoads and Interstate-Guide visitor who for some reason just now noticed that there were forums. After spending a few minutes reading last night, I knew I wanted to register so I can add my thoughts and answers.

I've been a roadgeek for as long as I can remember, well over 30 years. I remember starting at age 7 I used to keep a notebook in my parents' car and copy the highway signs of every road we traveled on. We lived in North Dakota at the time, and none of my Indian heads looked the same. We moved to Indiana when I was 9, so at least the state routes got easier. I've lived in 8 states and have traveled extensively through the Midwest and Southeast. I currently live in metro Indianapolis area.

I've dabbled in my perfect imaginary world of how I would reroute highways, resign routes, and rebuild interchanges (I think my plan for the I-465/I-65 interchange on the south side of Indianapolis is better than what INDOT is doing, but would be a lot more expensive). I keep a set of AAA regional maps that I've highlighted all the roads I've driven on and been a passenger on. The best part of playing SimCity to me has always been the highway system I can design. I've spent more time on Kurumi's SignMaker app than I want to think about. I look forward to participating with you all!

Zeffy

Welcome!  :) 
Quote from: jhuntin1 on January 07, 2014, 10:39:31 AM
The best part of playing SimCity to me has always been the highway system I can design. I've spent more time on Kurumi's SignMaker app than I want to think about. I look forward to participating with you all!

Yep, that's what I use it for too - well that and to fill my 'citygeek' part of me as well.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

sammi

Welcome to the forum!

I've spent more time on Kurumi's SignMaker app than I want to think about.

We all probably have. :P I used to love SignMaker, until I uninstalled Java. Then I started making my own signs.

1995hoo

Welcome to the forum.

.... I keep a set of AAA regional maps that I've highlighted all the roads I've driven on and been a passenger on. ....

I have a Rand McNally atlas for the same purpose, though I suppose I ought to get an updated version. If you haven't already discovered it, a lot of folks here use the Clinched Highway Mapping website, which serves a similar purpose to what you describe. It will take you forever to compile your initial data, but once you do that updates are simple. Keeping the maps around and continuing to highlight them isn't a bad idea, though. Among other reasons, sometimes a road will be removed from the CHM database (for example, the A344 is now closed between the Stonehenge car park and the A303 and it has been deleted from the CHM database, but of course those of us who drove on that segment prior to its closure would still count it as something we travelled and would want to keep track of it somehow. Also, not all roads are in the database (a close-to-home example for me: most Virginia primary state highways), and you'll want some way to track those.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

FLRoads

Glad you decided to join the forum! And thank you for being a long-time visitor to AARoads and Interstate Guide, we appreciate it!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.