News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Greetings from Memphis!

Started by TrevorB, April 08, 2014, 05:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrevorB

Hey everyone,
My name is Trevor, I'm 15 years old, and I live just outside of Memphis, TN (technically in Southaven, MS). I always had a thing for road signage when I was a young kid...but never really a huge interest in the roads themselves. That has changed since I've been following the I-69/I-269 construction progress. I've been a lurker here for a while...but just recently registered.

I don't know all of the terminology just yet, so you'll have to excuse me. Hopefully I can learn some stuff here!

hotdogPi

Common terminology:

BGS = Big Green Sign
Usually "freeway" is used for what people call a highway/freeway/expressway
SPUI = Single Point Urban Interchange (a type of interchange)
I-238 is an Interstate in California that is misnumbered because there is no I-38
Clearview is a font that many people hate
Arialveticverstesk = Arial, Helvetica, Univers, or Grotesk fonts, on a sign
Series D (or another letter) means how wide the font is
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

TrevorB

Thanks! I had come across some of those before and had no clue what they were.

Zeffy

Greetings from New Jersey!  :biggrin:  I actually joined just to share my signs and discuss others as well, but now I'm interested in pretty much everything in the area around me.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

getemngo

Welcome to the forums! If you're new to the community, you might want to check out Roadfan's FAQ. Even though parts of it are outdated, it has a long section about terminology. :)
~ Sam from Michigan

Zeffy

Quote from: getemngo on April 08, 2014, 06:35:29 PM
Welcome to the forums! If you're new to the community, you might want to check out Roadfan's FAQ. Even though parts of it are outdated, it has a long section about terminology. :)

I've never seen this before. Why didn't I know about this when I first joined? Sad face.

Also,

QuoteA: The short explaination is the "NIMBY factor". Residents of the Princeton and New Brunswick, NJ, areas managed to kill a section of I-95 through their towns in the early 1980s; the NJ Turnpike also opposed it as it would provide an alternate to the toll road. There has been a gap ever since. On the NJ Turnpike, the I-95 signs disappear. There is a plan to build an interchange connecting the existing I-95 with the PA Turnpike northeast of Philadelphia, where they currently cross but do not have an interchange. The new routing would follow the PA Turnpike connector from the NJ Turnpike across the Delaware River to the new interchange, where it would resume its old route. This interchange should be complete around 2008. More information is available at http://www.njfreeways.com/Interstate_95_Gap.html , http://www.nycroads.com/roads/I-95_NJ/ , and http://www.paturnpike.com/i95/ . This will complete the gap between New York City and Philadelphia, but will not provide easy access to I-287 from Philadelphia for bypassing New York City as original I-95 would have.

Hahahahahahahaha no. Try 2018 at the EARLIEST.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Alex

froggie

Welcome to the forum.  Former Mississippi resident here (7 years between Meridian, the Gulf Coast, and Picayune).

QuoteBGS = Big Green Sign

Proper terminology = guide sign, or guide signage.

national highway 1

Welcome Trevor! I'm also another teenage roadgeek from Sydney! Hope you learn a lot from our forum about roads!
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

US71

Quote from: froggie on April 09, 2014, 09:39:36 AM
Welcome to the forum.  Former Mississippi resident here (7 years between Meridian, the Gulf Coast, and Picayune).

I often say "overhead signs"  ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

Quote from: US71 on April 28, 2014, 09:30:09 AM
Quote from: froggie on April 09, 2014, 09:39:36 AM

I often say "overhead signs"  ;)

A surprising number of KYTC engineers use the term "panel signs."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bugo

I'm from Arkansas so I've been to Memphis a bunch of times.  The roads there are very interesting.  I especially like the stretch of Union that is signed US 64-70-72-79.

froggie

QuoteI often say "overhead signs"

Fair enough, but they're not always mounted overhead...:o)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.