News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Louisiana meet--March 17 & 18, 2018

Started by cjk374, October 19, 2017, 09:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

My attendance here is "questionable" at this time due to a series of events, but I'm still hoping I can make it. Depends entirely on my ability to get the following Monday off.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on January 17, 2018, 10:55:15 AM
I posted in the thread I started about US 79, but it looks like this is now off the table for me. My recent gout battle has cost me all my leave time, and I won't have enough built back up to make the trip. I don't think I can get home by Monday afternoon, because I want to clinch US 11 in Alabama and Tennessee on the way home.

Sick day?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

A.J. Bertin

My time-off request from work has been approved, and I've already got one of my hotel reservations made. I'll be leaving Grand Rapids MI on Thursday morning and driving to Sikeston MO for the night. Friday I'll drive from Sikeston to Shreveport. Spending Friday night and Saturday night in Shreveport... then doing part of the drive home Sunday and the rest of the drive home on Monday. Sunday night on my way home I'll probably be staying around St. Louis.

I'm really looking forward to this trip. I'll finally get to drive through more of Arkansas than just the I-55 corridor in the NE part of that state. I'm obviously taking one route down and a different route back to maximize my new counties and highway mileage. :)
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

Quote from: US71 on January 17, 2018, 12:50:12 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on January 17, 2018, 10:55:15 AM
I posted in the thread I started about US 79, but it looks like this is now off the table for me. My recent gout battle has cost me all my leave time, and I won't have enough built back up to make the trip. I don't think I can get home by Monday afternoon, because I want to clinch US 11 in Alabama and Tennessee on the way home.

Sick day?

No, I actually use those for when I'm really sick or have a doctor's appointment.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jpi

Steph and I are still set, we are primarly taking interstates to and from Shreveport. Running I-40 west to I-30 west and spending Friday night in Texarkana and maybe check out I-369 Saturday morning before heading to Shreveport on the new I-49. Staying in Shreveport Saturday night then running I-20 east back into Mississippi then maybe take US 45 north all the way to southern middle TN, either way I am still looking at new Parrishes and maybe a new county or two in Texas
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

cjk374

Quote from: jpi on January 17, 2018, 06:35:05 PM
.... either way I am still looking at new Parrishes and maybe a new county or two in Texas

Funny you mention a county or 2. The way I have my meet planned and routed so far, we will enter Cass & Marion counties in TX, plus Miller county in AR.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

jpi

Cool! The Texas counties I need, as for AR I already have the entire state clinched.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Brandon

I'll be there as well.  I know I'm going down I-55, US-67, I-30 to I-49, but the way back up is undecided as of yet.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

US71

I'll decide which way I'm going when I get to Texarkana, but 99 percent likely I'll take 71 to Texarkana ;)

Anyone coming down 71, get your gas, snacks, rest stops at Texarkana. Nearly all the gas stations along 71 between Fouke, AR and Shreveport have closed in the last couple years.

cl94

If I end up going, I'll be taking a weird route involving US 301, I-85, I-20, I-65, US 72, I-40, AR 309, US 71, Talimena Scenic Drive, US 271, US 82, and I-49 down to Shreveport. Will be a 4-day road/hiking trip down. Back will be I-49 > I-10 > I-12 > I-10 > I-95 > US 13 > DE 1 > I-95 > NJ 17 > I-87 or similar (fast, but new mileage, the CBBT, and the FL high point). Why the weird routes? Allows me to hit 6 state high points, drive Talimena Scenic Drive, and visit OK and TX for the first time (yes, I know TX is on the meet, but I want to get a little further into the state).
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

US71

Quote from: cl94 on January 19, 2018, 11:39:54 AM
If I end up going, I'll be taking a weird route involving US 301, I-85, I-20, I-65, US 72, I-40, AR 309, US 71, Talimena Scenic Drive, US 271, US 82, and I-49 down to Shreveport. Will be a 4-day road/hiking trip down. Back will be I-49 > I-10 > I-12 > I-10 > I-95 > US 13 > DE 1 > I-95 > NJ 17 > I-87 or similar (fast, but new mileage, the CBBT, and the FL high point). Why the weird routes? Allows me to hit 6 state high points, drive Talimena Scenic Drive, and visit OK and TX for the first time (yes, I know TX is on the meet, but I want to get a little further into the state).

On 271, check out the Kiamichi River Bridge north of Antlers. It won't be there much longer :(

jpi

Quote from: Brandon on January 19, 2018, 10:23:31 AM
I'll be there as well.  I know I'm going down I-55, US-67, I-30 to I-49, but the way back up is undecided as of yet.
When do you think you will be coming through I-30 to I-49? Steph and I plan on doing 40-840-40-440-30 on Friday then 49 south to Shreveport Saturday morning.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Brandon

Quote from: jpi on January 19, 2018, 05:44:38 PM

When do you think you will be coming through I-30 to I-49? Steph and I plan on doing 40-840-40-440-30 on Friday then 49 south to Shreveport Saturday morning.

I should be in Little Rock around 2-2:30 pm, and Texarkana around 5 pm on Friday afternoon.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

cl94

Quote from: US71 on January 19, 2018, 12:07:39 PM
Quote from: cl94 on January 19, 2018, 11:39:54 AM

On 271, check out the Kiamichi River Bridge north of Antlers. It won't be there much longer :(

Boo. That looks like one of the classic Oklahoma bridges, too.

jpi

Quote from: Brandon on January 19, 2018, 05:46:08 PM

I should be in Little Rock around 2-2:30 pm, and Texarkana around 5 pm on Friday afternoon.
Cool! We may end up crossing paths, will keep this in mind.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

US71

I sent a private message to My Land of Misery/Gene VanDusseldorp to see if he was interested, but he hasn't responded yet.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: jpi on January 19, 2018, 07:05:54 PM
Quote from: Brandon on January 19, 2018, 05:46:08 PM

Cool! We may end up crossing paths, will keep this in mind.

I wonder what time I'll be passing through Texarkana. Friday morning I'll be starting my drive in Sikeston MO. Taking I-55 south to I-40 west to I-30 west and then I-49 south. If you guys meet up, maybe I can join you if the timing is right for me. :)
-A.J. from Michigan

US71

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on January 20, 2018, 12:12:23 PM

I wonder what time I'll be passing through Texarkana. Friday morning I'll be starting my drive in Sikeston MO. Taking I-55 south to I-40 west to I-30 west and then I-49 south. If you guys meet up, maybe I can join you if the timing is right for me. :)

Lots of construction along I-40 west of I-55 (widening bridges) so allow extra time.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: US71 on January 20, 2018, 12:17:45 PM
Lots of construction along I-40 west of I-55 (widening bridges) so allow extra time.

Thanks for the tip!
-A.J. from Michigan

cl94

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on January 21, 2018, 02:45:52 PM

Thanks for the tip!

Second that. Guess I won't schedule a tour of Little Rock Central High School then.

US 81

My work schedule for March will be out sometime in Feb. I have requested to have that Saturday off - fingers crossed.

US71

Quote from: cl94 on January 21, 2018, 02:51:20 PM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on January 21, 2018, 02:45:52 PM

Thanks for the tip!

Second that. Guess I won't schedule a tour of Little Rock Central High School then.

If you're scheduling in advance, it might be tricky. If you're just stopping along the way, you might still have time if traffic isn't too bad.

cl94

I'm making this happen. Longest distance I will have traveled for a meet and by far longest road trip I will have taken to that date. Of course, I'll be taking a longer trip 5 months later.  :-D

Anyway, bring on the Cajun food, BBQ, and Waffle House!

Brandon

Quote from: cl94 on January 26, 2018, 12:22:57 PM
I'm making this happen. Longest distance I will have traveled for a meet and by far longest road trip I will have taken to that date. Of course, I'll be taking a longer trip 5 months later.  :-D

Anyway, bring on the Cajun food, BBQ, and Waffle House!

Woot!  It'll be nice to see you there.  :sombrero:

cjk374

It'll be nice to see all of y'all here!  :nod:  :)
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.