News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Back from the grave

Started by Zeffy, February 26, 2019, 01:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

Wow, I have been gone from here longer than I thought. I won't bore you with all the details, but the short version is I was preoccupied with work, then planning to move, and finally my car which led to a long period of inactivity. I also got involved with other communities and this one faded from my mind.

Now that I live in a different state and drive quite a bit more, I missed discussing topics related to roads in my area. Somehow, my iPhone remembered my login details and well, I checked the forums out for the first time since April of 2017, and am ready to start being a bit more active.

Looking at the online list I see quite a few people whose names are ringing bells, so that's good to see - was wondering if anyone had moved on, but lots of people I remember.

Anyways, I'm on break so I don't have time to respond until I get home, but just wanted to let you know I'm alive. Feels like it's been so long, and it kinda has. Old enough to have my old car as a PFP. Here's my new one, and lots of my preoccupation was learning how to drive the lil monster as it's a stick shift, and I had no clue how to drive one prior to buying. Well, I'm a lot better off now, and exploring new roads in this thing is a whole new level of exciting... as long as there isn't traffic.  :sombrero:

Looking forward to connecting with many of you guys again!
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

formulanone

Welcome back!

(Just realized you bought a Type-R, congrats on the purchase and the insurance must be nuts on that car for your age.)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Zeffy on February 26, 2019, 01:26:30 PM
Wow, I have been gone from here longer than I thought. I won’t bore you with all the details, but the short version is I was preoccupied with work, then planning to move, and finally my car which led to a long period of inactivity. I also got involved with other communities and this one faded from my mind.

Now that I live in a different state and drive quite a bit more, I missed discussing topics related to roads in my area. Somehow, my iPhone remembered my login details and well, I checked the forums out for the first time since April of 2017, and am ready to start being a bit more active.

Looking at the online list I see quite a few people whose names are ringing bells, so that’s good to see - was wondering if anyone had moved on, but lots of people I remember.

Anyways, I’m on break so I don’t have time to respond until I get home, but just wanted to let you know I’m alive. Feels like it’s been so long, and it kinda has. Old enough to have my old car as a PFP. Here’s my new one, and lots of my preoccupation was learning how to drive the lil monster as it’s a stick shift, and I had no clue how to drive one prior to buying. Well, I’m a lot better off now, and exploring new roads in this thing is a whole new level of exciting... as long as there isn’t traffic.  :sombrero:

Looking forward to connecting with many of you guys again!

A friend of mine bought a stick in her 40's, after never driving one before.  And she drives in congested traffic quite often!  Sounds like you'll stall out on occasion, but within days (or hours), you'll pick up it up without a problem!

hotdogPi

Which state do you live in now? Your profile still says Hillsborough, New Jersey.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

jakeroot

Welcome back!!

Since you left, the number of user-made highway signs has dropped off pretty dramatically. I barely make them anymore, though few are asking for them anymore either! The road-related illustrations board is a damn ghost-town now.

Roadgeekteen

Wow, that's I name that I haven't heard in a long time! Welcome back!
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Zeffy

Quote from: formulanone on February 26, 2019, 01:31:06 PM
Welcome back!

(Just realized you bought a Type-R, congrats on the purchase and the insurance must be nuts on that car for your age.)

I thought insurance would be nuts too... USAA happens to classify this as if it were a regular Civic, so the impact was literally like $40-70 more a year.

QuoteA friend of mine bought a stick in her 40's, after never driving one before.  And she drives in congested traffic quite often!  Sounds like you'll stall out on occasion, but within days (or hours), you'll pick up it up without a problem!

I've actually had my baby for almost an entire year now - less than a month away from the one year anniversary of picking her up. The ride back from the dealership was comical, and by that I mean tragic. Stalled 7 times. Not fun. It also didn't help the weather was not cooperative (mid March snow) so it kept me from driving it which didn't help with honing my skills. Took me about 2-3 months before I was really comfortable with starting off and not stalling. Those issues are gone now, and only thing I need to work on is smoothing out some of the upshifts.

QuoteWhich state do you live in now? Your profile still says Hillsborough, New Jersey.

I jumped across the Delaware River into Pennsylvania.

QuoteSince you left, the number of user-made highway signs has dropped off pretty dramatically. I barely make them anymore, though few are asking for them anymore either! The road-related illustrations board is a damn ghost-town now.

Oof, I haven't made signs in a LONG time. The template I used to host got killed when my Dropbox got closed, although I still have everything from when I used to contribute here. Maybe I can stage a revival.  :)

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

MantyMadTown

I joined the forum after you left, so I don't think you've ever seen me before.

Welcome back!

Forget the I-41 haters

noelbotevera

Welcome back! You've probably seen my name floating around a few times.

Kinda shocked that they make manuals into the present day, but I can't complain. To be fair, I'd probably consider one as my first car for the sake of cutting costs.

txstateends

Guess I'll add the missed-you-while-you-were-away to the list, great to see you back Zeffy.  I would ask how you're doing, but it sounds like your driveway is doing *very well* of late   ;-)
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

kevinb1994

Welcome back! I managed to become active more than a year after you left.

Zeffy

Quote from: txstateends on February 26, 2019, 07:09:08 PM
Guess I'll add the missed-you-while-you-were-away to the list, great to see you back Zeffy.  I would ask how you're doing, but it sounds like your driveway is doing *very well* of late   ;-)

Heh, the car looks like (and performs like) it should cost a lot, but actually, it's pretty affordable. While I'm young I gotta take those chances, and I'm so happy I did.

Quote from: noelbotevera on February 26, 2019, 07:07:29 PM
Welcome back! You've probably seen my name floating around a few times.

Kinda shocked that they make manuals into the present day, but I can't complain. To be fair, I'd probably consider one as my first car for the sake of cutting costs.

I remember you, I now live in your state.  :poke: Manuals are really becoming a lot less available, which is sad, but the simplicity of a manual transmission does equate to saving some cash, even though almost any automatic will destroy a manual in pretty much any category (except driver engangement  :biggrin:).

adventurernumber1

Welcome back to the forum!  :wave:

I am glad to see you are enjoying your new car (which looks great!), and I hope you are doing well.  :thumbsup:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Takumi

Welcome back. What's the Type R like to live with on a daily basis? I kinda looked at getting one last year but ended up with an AWD TL instead.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Zeffy

It's very livable. The seats are comfy, there's plenty of cargo space since it's a hatchback, ample power for passing on the highway, and a lot of people love to see it which is always nice to see. Clutch is fairly light, in traffic after a while it may be a bit tiring but in flowing traffic it's very good. It auto rev matches on downshifts so beginners like myself don't have to worry about it, which is bad because I'm reliant on it now.

If anything, one of the bigger negatives is that it rides on 20 inch rims with low profile tires  and every pothole becomes a clenching moment. It also comes with summer tires, which I have swapped out for all season tires to make it through winter, and once the weather goes back to being warm I will go back to summers.

Overall though, as a daily driver, this thing is awesome.

riiga

Welcome back!

You've been missed, as jakeroot said
Quote from: jakeroot on February 26, 2019, 02:12:20 PM
Since you left, the number of user-made highway signs has dropped off pretty dramatically. I barely make them anymore, though few are asking for them anymore either! The road-related illustrations board is a damn ghost-town now.

Takumi

Quote from: Zeffy on February 27, 2019, 08:26:58 AM
It’s very livable. The seats are comfy, there’s plenty of cargo space since it’s a hatchback, ample power for passing on the highway, and a lot of people love to see it which is always nice to see. Clutch is fairly light, in traffic after a while it may be a bit tiring but in flowing traffic it’s very good. It auto rev matches on downshifts so beginners like myself don’t have to worry about it, which is bad because I’m reliant on it now.

If anything, one of the bigger negatives is that it rides on 20 inch rims with low profile tires  and every pothole becomes a clenching moment. It also comes with summer tires, which I have swapped out for all season tires to make it through winter, and once the weather goes back to being warm I will go back to summers.

Overall though, as a daily driver, this thing is awesome.
Good to know. I just wasn’t a fan of the red parts of the interior. Had they made a black option, I might have gone ahead with it. I’m looking to pick up a 2019 RDX in a few years, and if I opt for the A-spec there is a black interior option along with the red.

If you’re actually inclined to go with a different wheel that’s still OEM, the 19s from the new NSX look good on the CTR and aren’t quite as rubber-band-ish.

The only other OEM Honda/Acura wheels I know of that have the same bolt pattern are the ones on my generation of TL.

(My actual car pictured, also on 19s. There are 17s and 18s available as well.)

Don't @ me. Seriously.

jakeroot

Takumi

Quote from: jakeroot on February 27, 2019, 10:26:26 PM
Quote from: Takumi on February 27, 2019, 09:59:16 PM
I'm looking to pick up a 2019 RDX in a few years

Wow, that completely swayed me in the other direction!

Don't @ me. Seriously.

jakeroot

Quote from: Takumi on February 27, 2019, 10:46:44 PM
Wow, that completely swayed me in the other direction!

nahh that'll be you when you get car-sick trying to operate the new head unit

Takumi

It's a bit weird, yeah, but at least they didn't integrate the speedometer cluster and head unit into one giant monstrosity that looks like two tablets fused together like Mercedes did with the new A-class.

And don't even get me started on the Lincoln Continental's doors.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

jakeroot

^^
If it was better integrated, holy shit it would be cool, though it does look weird with that stuck-on look. At least there's like 47 different ways to control it (voice, thumbs, other fingers, touch?, etc).

My current favorite is probably either the new Touareg infotainment system (which we don't get), or the newer BMW systems (which are finally all digital). If the Atlas had the new Touareg interior--and a better engine--I'd be sold.

I don't know who Lincoln designed those doors for. What're they gonna sell, like 12 of them?

Takumi

Quote from: jakeroot on February 28, 2019, 01:18:22 AM
^^
If it was better integrated, holy shit it would be cool, though it does look weird with that stuck-on look. At least there's like 47 different ways to control it (voice, thumbs, other fingers, touch?, etc).

My current favorite is probably either the new Touareg infotainment system (which we don't get), or the newer BMW systems (which are finally all digital). If the Atlas had the new Touareg interior--and a better engine--I'd be sold.
I like those. Anything that looks stuck on like too many manufacturers are doing just looks tacky and cheap. Mercedes used to be better than that. Were I shopping for a new luxury sedan, I'd probably go for a Lexus GS350 even though it's about to go out of production. I've always liked how the GS has looked over the years, and I thought the interior or the current gen was just right. The IS is pretty similar, but I felt the seats were a little too soft and the small price difference just doesn't make sense to me.

I don't know who Lincoln designed those doors for. What're they gonna sell, like 12 of them?
Yeah, the interior just sucks for a flagship car. This wasn't even the suicide door model, which I think there were only 100 or so made.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Zeffy

The RDX is one of Acura's best vehicles since the TSX/TL days (not counting the NSX as it's a super car). That infotainment is wonky but it appears that an over the air patch made it slightly more usable. It has a slightly less rowdy version of the Type R engine, and this engine is a gem.

I thought about swapping wheels out for 19s or 18s but I love the look of the OEM ones a lot. I run 245/35/20 tires on the OEM which is technically oversized but there's no rubbing at all so no harm done. The NSX wheels are nice but man are they pricey for a set of 4.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Zeffy on February 26, 2019, 06:13:19 PMI jumped across the Delaware River into Pennsylvania.

You set yourself up for that one.  :)

Welcome back BTW.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.