News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Roadtrip advice

Started by yand, March 19, 2020, 02:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Even the places with "shelter in place" restrictions allow for being outside and away from home if the six-foot spacing recommendations are observed. You can still go for a jog or a hike.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bandit957

Quote from: yand on March 23, 2020, 12:12:02 PM
ok so between my last post and now, many localities have issued shelter in place orders, and Massachusetts has issued a stay at home advisory. Massachusetts itself has not banned travel, but many places have banned travel unrelated to essential business.

I have another trip planned for sometime this week, this time to clinch I-80 from the PA/OH border to its eastern terminus. It involves 2 stops at rest stops in CT and 1 stop at the loves at the OH side of the PA/OH border.

So from what I can gather:
OH has a stay at home order for residents
PA does not have hard restrictions
NY has the "pause" order and New Yorkers must stay at home
CT does not have hard restrictions
MA does not have hard restrictions

It seems that non-essential travel is prohibited for local residents, which means it shouldn't apply to me right?  :confused:

There's really no reason why auto travel by someone traveling alone would be prohibited. Anything that's over 6 feet away from other people should be safe.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

yand

Quote from: bandit957 on March 23, 2020, 12:14:39 PM
Quote from: yand on March 23, 2020, 12:12:02 PM
ok so between my last post and now, many localities have issued shelter in place orders, and Massachusetts has issued a stay at home advisory. Massachusetts itself has not banned travel, but many places have banned travel unrelated to essential business.

I have another trip planned for sometime this week, this time to clinch I-80 from the PA/OH border to its eastern terminus. It involves 2 stops at rest stops in CT and 1 stop at the loves at the OH side of the PA/OH border.

So from what I can gather:
OH has a stay at home order for residents
PA does not have hard restrictions
NY has the "pause" order and New Yorkers must stay at home
CT does not have hard restrictions
MA does not have hard restrictions

It seems that non-essential travel is prohibited for local residents, which means it shouldn't apply to me right?  :confused:

There's really no reason why auto travel by someone traveling alone would be prohibited. Anything that's over 6 feet away from other people should be safe.

That would be common sense I think, but I'm hoping for something a bit more solid to cover my bases, legally speaking.

The part that trips me up is while "going for a walk" is considered an essential purpose, there's nothing specifically mentioning the kind of non-essential but low risk long distance travel that I'm doing

for example in the OH stay at home order faq:
https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/covid-19/home/stay-at-home-information/stay-at-home-order-frequently-asked-questions
"It does NOT prohibit essential activities like going to the grocery store, receiving medical care, or taking your pet for a walk."
It also says "Residents can return home from out of state and can leave the state." but under the condition "Planes and any other form of travel should only be used for essential purposes."
I make videos for Full Length Interstates. FullLengthInterstates.com redirects to my channel at youtube.com/FullLengthInterstates

GaryV

Michigan is going dark Tues 12:01 am.

Rothman

You can still go and shop in NY.

I think a lot of people have the misperception that they'll be locked inside their houses altogether.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jemacedo9

"Most Restrictive" is no longer "Non-Essential Businesses Closed." 
Most Restrictive is now "Shelter-in-Place" orders, such as Delaware and now parts of PA and maybe Ohio (I didn't read their order). 
The distinction between "Non-Essential Businesses Closed" and "Shelter-in-Place' isn't totally clear to me, but there is a difference.  Certain PA counties went from the former to the latter effective tomorrow morning.

But some states like NJ are at least discussing curfews.

jemacedo9

Quote from: yand on March 23, 2020, 12:34:58 PM

The part that trips me up is while "going for a walk" is considered an essential purpose, there's nothing specifically mentioning the kind of non-essential but low risk long distance travel that I'm doing

So if you travel through suburban NYC, which is exploding with cases, and you accidentally pick up the virus, and you are asymptomatic for three days while you return west, and you accidentally spread the virus westward...then what?  That's what this is trying to prevent.

The shelter-in-place orders are allowing local outdoor socially-distant exercise because that will limit your chances of spreading things.  For me, that means as far as I can go without having to use a restroom.  Which is maybe a 3 hour round trip if I am hydrating properly.

ozarkman417

If you will be visiting a green state, you should check the restrictions in the municipality or county you will be visiting. When it says Least Restrictive, that is on a state basis, but that may not be true on a local basis. For example, Kansas City and St. Louis have more strict restrictions than the rest of MO, and for good reason.

AsphaltPlanet

Just remember what the purpose of all of these restrictions are.

There is a highly contagious respiratory virus that is currently affecting our population.  It is so highly contagious that we have basically shut down our economy to try and halt it's progress.

On Saturday almost 800 people in Italy died from it -- most of those fatalities happening in a fairly confined geographical area.

Whatever anyone decides to do over the next few weeks, keep all of that in mind.

We didn't shut down our economy for needless spread of the disease by negligent behavior, so whatever you do, be smart about it.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

hbelkins

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on March 23, 2020, 10:49:31 PM
On Saturday almost 800 people in Italy died from it -- most of those fatalities happening in a fairly confined geographical area.

Saw multiple news reports the last couple of days that Italy is also recording every death by someone who has the virus as being killed by the virus.

Pneumonia? COPD? Heart attack? You died of the virus.

That certainly inflates the numbers.

I went to my primary care doctor last week for something totally unrelated and asked him his frank opinion. He said he thought much of the panic was overblown. He noted several factors in Italy's alarming numbers: a more elderly population, a healthcare system that's substandard when compared to ours, much greater interaction with China, and a few other things. He wasn't overly concerned about it overwhelming the American health care system and noted (keep in mind that this was last week) that the off-label use of the malaria drug was showing promise in treating the virus.

On trips, I often stop for restroom breaks at fast-food restaurants. Most of them have closed their lobbies, even to carry-out service (although many sit-down places are still allowing people to come in and carry out their orders). Convenience stores will for the most part be open, but in general their restrooms aren't as tidy as restaurants. I'd rather stop at McDonald's than Speedway.

bandit957

Public restrooms always have pee everywhere.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: hbelkins on March 24, 2020, 01:35:45 PM
Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on March 23, 2020, 10:49:31 PM

Saw multiple news reports the last couple of days that Italy is also recording every death by someone who has the virus as being killed by the virus.

The virus itself isn't usually what kills people.  People usually die from bacterial pneumonia as a side effect from virus.  So, yeah, how they are reporting deaths kind of makes sense.  I don't ever remember seeing the military mobilized to transport the dead on the news.  Do you?  That seems like something I'd remember seeing.

I am sure there is always some differing opinions in the medical field, but it seems as though most public health officials across the continent (and world?) don't agree with your physician.

Italy has a fine health care system.  I'm sure there are strengths and weaknesses in their system like there are in most locations, but I'm sure you could look to some inner city hospitals in America and find some serious flaws there as well.

There have been some pretty serious known risks with the malaria drug for over a month now too:
https://nationalpost.com/news/world/covid-19-drug-touted-by-trump-and-musk-has-one-problem-two-grams-can-kill-a-human

(The National Post is a right leaning newspaper in Canada).
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

AsphaltPlanet

And by the way,

Life expectancy in Italy is 82.54 years.  In the US it's 78.69 years.

The infant mortality rate in Italy is 2.6 deaths per 1000 live births.  In the US it's 5.8 deaths per 1000 live births.

So, I don't think it's fair or accurate to say that Italy has a substandard healthcare system compared to that of the US.  If anything, these important metrics seem to indicate that the US has a substandard health care system to Italy.

webny99

He noted several factors in Italy's alarming numbers: a more elderly population, a healthcare system that's substandard when compared to ours, much greater interaction with China, and a few other things.

Much greater interaction with each other, I might add.

ftballfan

Quote from: webny99 on March 24, 2020, 08:47:08 PM
He noted several factors in Italy's alarming numbers: a more elderly population, a healthcare system that's substandard when compared to ours, much greater interaction with China, and a few other things.

Much greater interaction with each other, I might add.
Italy also has a fairly dense population (60+ million people in an area the size of Arizona). I think I saw somewhere that 99% of COVID-19 deaths in Italy had at least one underlying condition (with a good chunk of those having multiple underlying conditions). I also saw that Italy has fewer hospital and ICU beds per capita than most other European countries.

D-Dey65

Quote from: bandit957 on March 20, 2020, 10:56:23 AM
Quote from: jemacedo9 on March 20, 2020, 08:33:24 AM
And YES...I have heard of violence against Asians.

This makes me so damn mad.

As long as America tolerates hate crimes of any sort, maybe America doesn't deserve to come back from the pandemic.
You know, I understand your sentiment. But I really hope those of us who don't will prevail.

As for any road trips, I'm currently holding off on them. But I really wish Trump was right about this ending by Easter, because I feel like jumping in my car and taking a day trip as soon as this ends!

hbelkins

Quote from: D-Dey65 on March 27, 2020, 10:10:45 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on March 20, 2020, 10:56:23 AM
Quote from: jemacedo9 on March 20, 2020, 08:33:24 AM
And YES...I have heard of violence against Asians.

This makes me so damn mad.

As long as America tolerates hate crimes of any sort, maybe America doesn't deserve to come back from the pandemic.
You know, I understand your sentiment. But I really hope those of us who don't will prevail.

As for any road trips, I'm currently holding off on them. But I really wish Trump was right about this ending by Easter, because I feel like jumping in my car and taking a day trip as soon as this ends!

Kentucky's official "what you can and can't do" guidelines list "going for a drive" as an OK activity. I worked outside my place today and there was a steady stream of motorcycles passing by.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.