National Boards > Road Enthusiasts Meetings

Possible Natchez, MS meet in March 2022??

(1/8) > >>

cjk374:
I have been tossing around an idea in my head for awhile now. I would like to host a road meet in the Natchez, MS & Ferriday/Vidalia, LA area in March 2022. March seemed to work well for my Shreveport meet in 2018 (weather-wise), so that will be my target time frame. So if you were to come to Natchez, what would there be worth looking at?

* The twin spans of US 84/425 crossing the Mississippi River. One is much older than the other.
* A very old mechanical drawbridge that carries the northbound lanes of US 425/LA 15 over the Tensas River at the Concordia/Catahoula Parish line. (so far, 2 parishes to clinch!)
* The termini of US 98, US 425, US 65, and the Natchez Trace Parkway.
* The old toll booth area on the MS side to cross the MS River bridge (now a parking loop with informational plaques).
* Possibly visit the nation's 2nd largest Indian mound?
* I'll go explore to try to find more road-related things to see.
Natchez is also loaded with antebellum homes now converted in Bed & Breakfasts, and others are open for tours, if you are looking for something else to experience while visiting. I will need to make more scouting trips to see what else there is to see or not see. But my main question is this: Who would be interested enough to come down here for this? I'm hoping by this time next year there are no more "shit lists" involving other states and quarantining...or anything else related to this virus crap. HOWEVER....if the virus continues to be a problem by the time 2022 rolls around, I may postpone this idea until 2023.

So.....who's interested?  :hmmm:  :popcorn:

froggie:

--- Quote ---The termini of US 98
--- End quote ---

...which would require a very boring hour-long roundtrip drive along 84...

I'd stick to Natchez and avoid lengthy sidetrips.

One thing not on your list:  the prevalence of city-owned, side-mounted signals in downtown Natchez.  Side-mounted signals are a rarity in Mississippi.

cjk374:

--- Quote from: froggie on March 03, 2021, 05:35:07 PM ---
--- Quote ---The termini of US 98
--- End quote ---

...which would require a very boring hour-long roundtrip drive along 84...

I'd stick to Natchez and avoid lengthy sidetrips.
--- End quote ---

I thought the US 98 terminus was where US 84/US 425 met the US 61/US 98 concurrency end? At least that's what the signage shows:

https://www.google.com/maps/@31.5297447,-91.3872213,3a,75y,67.31h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2FwuLxhrySV8ADRBw7sY0g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

--- Quote ---One thing not on your list:  the prevalence of city-owned, side-mounted signals in downtown Natchez.  Side-mounted signals are a rarity in Mississippi.

--- End quote ---

I am not really a signal person. I had no idea about these. Thanks for the information.

okroads:
I am definitely interested.

cl94:
Count me as interested. Hopefully, I'll be both working in industry and living a little closer, which would make a trip down a bit more feasible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version