Previous topic - Next topic

mightyace

My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Voyager

What do they use now?
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

mightyace

IIRC The article said that the coin lane was being replaced with an EZ-Pass only lane.  I think there are still attended lanes, at least at the mainline plazas.  Plus, all cash tolls are now multiples of $1 since a Feb. 1 toll increase.

Plus, over 50% of the travelers use EZ-Pass.  (Since there is a 50-60% discount for EZ-Pass, I can see why.)  Only 10% were using the coin lanes.

This is just what I read as I've never been on the Maine Turnpike.  I welcome any corrections from anyone who actually has been there.

mightyace

yakra

MDOT will be raising speed limits on much of the state's interstate system, between Portland and Old Town:

http://www.pressherald.com/news/Speed_limt_on_much_of_Maine_Turnpike__I-295_ro_rise_to_70_mph.html
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

KEVIN_224

Here's another story about the speed limit increase, from WCSH-TV (NBC) channel 6 of Portland:

http://www.wcsh6.com/story/news/local/augusta-waterville/2014/05/27/speed-limits-increased/9633159/

Pilgrimway

Quote from: yakra on May 27, 2014, 02:44:20 PM
MDOT will be raising speed limits on much of the state's interstate system, between Portland and Old Town:

http://www.pressherald.com/news/Speed_limt_on_much_of_Maine_Turnpike__I-295_ro_rise_to_70_mph.html

That's been done.  I drove to Bangor this weekend and a lot of I95 is at 70 mph now, especially north of Portland.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Pilgrimway on June 15, 2014, 02:03:46 PM
Quote from: yakra on May 27, 2014, 02:44:20 PM

That's been done.  I drove to Bangor this weekend and a lot of I95 is at 70 mph now, especially north of Portland.

They're moving the change further south.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

SectorZ

I was up there the first week of June, and by then everything had been bumped up 5 MPH (sans Maine Tpke and I-95 north of Old Town where it's already 75). By everything, that would be all the stuff I was on, I-295, I-395, I-95 around Bangor, and US 1 in Bath/Brunswick.

yakra

I believe bits of 395 were bumped by 10 MPH.
295 retained its 55 & 50 MPH zones from its southern terminus thru Portland; only the 65 MPH zones were increased.
I was a little surprised to see 70 MPH start that far south; I would have retained 65 until Exit 31 in Topsham.
The Scarborough Connector is now also posted for 60 MPH. On the first day of the new limit, I got stuck behind a bozo doing 35 in the 60 zone. Yeesh.

I believe the changeover happened May 27, *maybe* May 26.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

KEVIN_224

http://www.wcsh6.com/story/news/local/2014/08/11/dot-turnpike-speed-limits-70-mph/13884393/

A chunk of the Maine Turnpike was raised to 70 MPH on Monday, August 11th.

(Jackie Ward in the black and green for the video...she is sweet!)

The Nature Boy

It'll be interesting to see if NH follows suit after evaluating the safety of this in Maine.

Ian

The drive up to Orono just became that much easier!  :clap:
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

1995hoo

Do I recall correctly that the Maine legislature passed a statute allowing speed limits of up to 75 on any segment of Interstate, such that it's just a case of the authorities deciding not to post anything above 70 except on the segment already posted at 75? Just curious–I haven't been to Maine in a few years and have no basis for commenting on whether or where 75 might be reasonable and I just want to refresh my own recollection on what exactly they allowed.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

KEVIN_224

75 MPH would only work on the stretch north out of Bangor, heading up to Houlton and the New Brunswick border. The main reason for the lower speed limit north of Mile Marker 44 up to Falmouth is due to traffic through the west end of Portland and the fact that much of that section is only two lanes on each side. (Exit 44 at Mile Marker 44 is for I-295 North, which takes you through South Portland and then into downtown Portland.) When they widened the Maine Turnpike a few years ago, the northern end of the project was at Exit 44.

1995hoo

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on August 11, 2014, 01:10:49 PM
75 MPH would only work on the stretch north out of Bangor, heading up to Houlton and the New Brunswick border. The main reason for the lower speed limit north of Mile Marker 44 up to Falmouth is due to traffic through the west end of Portland and the fact that much of that section is only two lanes on each side. (Exit 44 at Mile Marker 44 is for I-295 North, which takes you through South Portland and then into downtown Portland.) When they widened the Maine Turnpike a few years ago, the northern end of the project was at Exit 44.

Sure, but that wasn't really my question. What I was trying to confirm is whether the legislature indeed allowed 75, regardless of whether it's posted or would work on a given segment.

I can picture Exit 44. "mtantillo" of this forum called it the Tourist Exit because it's so easy for traffic leaving the Turnpike to avoid the toll there by going to Exit 45 instead.

vdeane

Quote from: The Nature Boy on August 11, 2014, 12:28:59 PM
It'll be interesting to see if NH follows suit after evaluating the safety of this in Maine.
You mean like this?  Or like this?

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 11, 2014, 01:56:23 PM
I can picture Exit 44. "mtantillo" of this forum called it the Tourist Exit because it's so easy for traffic leaving the Turnpike to avoid the toll there by going to Exit 45 instead.
Also the "roadgeeks who need to clinch I-295" exit.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hotdogPi

Quote from: vdeane on August 11, 2014, 06:07:59 PM

I think that can be done by going in the other direction.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

yakra

Quote from: 1 on August 11, 2014, 06:13:28 PM
Correct.

mtantillo

Or the local commuter exit. If you are a local commuter with a Maine-issued E-ZPass, your tolls are distance-based. So it is sometimes a nickel cheaper to exit at 295 than at Maine Mall. But for non-locals with any out of state E-ZPass or no E-ZPass, you are throwing your money down the drain by using that exit.

1995hoo

As yakra said, that's correct, and when you're going southbound there's no advantage to bypassing the I-295 toll plaza at that interchange because you'd also pay if you entered via the Maine Mall route. I did precisely all this last time I was there going to and from Nova Scotia–exited at Exit 45 on the way up, entered via Exit 44 on the way home. I'm not all that big on worrying about avoiding tolls, but to me the toll when you exit via Exit 44 comes across as a middle-finger gesture to out-of-staters who can be assumed not to know how easy it is to avoid it. (The Delaware Turnpike toll feels like one too, though to me it feels less so because it takes longer to bypass it than it does to bypass the one in Maine.)

shadyjay

Quote from: The Nature Boy on August 11, 2014, 12:28:59 PM
You mean like this?  Or like this?

I interpreted that message as being in reference to raising the speed limit on I-95. 

Personally, I think VT needs to jump on the "higher speed limit" bandwagon.  Personally, I think I-91 north of St J could go to 75, with most of the rest of the state being bumped up to 70 mph (60 mph through Burlington and White River Jct). 

Alps

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on August 11, 2014, 01:10:49 PM
75 MPH would only work on the stretch north out of Bangor, heading up to Houlton and the New Brunswick border. The main reason for the lower speed limit north of Mile Marker 44 up to Falmouth is due to traffic through the west end of Portland and the fact that much of that section is only two lanes on each side.
Traffic is not a reason to lower a speed limit. Higher frequency of interchanges, obstructed sight distance (sound walls or buildings), or more curvature (vertical or horizontal) are valid.

Duke87

Quote from: mtantillo on August 11, 2014, 07:18:39 PM
Or the local commuter exit. If you are a local commuter with a Maine-issued E-ZPass, your tolls are distance-based. So it is sometimes a nickel cheaper to exit at 295 than at Maine Mall.

How does that work, though? How can they determine where you exited if you leave at a ramp with no toll?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

vdeane

They have gantries going across the direction without the toll plaza.  Maine is one of those states that likes to be a jerk to out of state motorists.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.