Regional Boards > Northeast

NJ - 295/76/42 Construction Projects

<< < (118/120) > >>

jeffandnicole:

--- Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 26, 2021, 01:47:13 PM ---Part of the Missing Moves project: The new Creek Road overpass will open the weekend.

A bit unusual for this project will be the full weekend closure of Creek Road, in order to expedite the transition.

https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/uploads/comm/news/details/comm_np_20210826_103436_CreekRoadtobeclosedthisweekendasMissingMovesprojectadvancesinCamdenCounty.pdf

--- End quote ---

Delayed from its original construction date by 2 weeks due to weather, they were met with incredibly nice weather this past weekend. While the closure timeline provided them to have the switch-over complete by 5am Monday, it was open sometime Saturday afternoon or evening.

Coming from the Brooklawn area (US 130), motorist are met with what appears to be an incredibly steep hill to meet the new bridge.  In my rough estimation, the new overpass is at least 6 feet higher than the previous bridge, partially because the former bridge was too low for modern clearance standards, plus the new bridge also has to accommodate the 42 North to 295 South ramp which is still on a downslope under the overpass.

jeffandnicole:
In a letter from NJDOT to local politicians, the root cause of the collapse still hasn't been fully determined, but they have a good idea what happened.

https://www.inquirer.com/transportation/interstates-295-76-route-42-interchange-south-jersey-retaining-wall-collapse-20211019.html

ekt8750:
The beams for the flyover ramp from NB NJ42 to SB I-295 are going up. I would expect an overnight shutdown of 42 soon sometime after the holidays to erect the beams over the roadway.

famartin:

--- Quote from: ekt8750 on December 20, 2021, 10:27:56 AM ---The beams for the flyover ramp from NB NJ42 to SB I-295 are going up. I would expect an overnight shutdown of 42 soon sometime after the holidays to erect the beams over the roadway.

--- End quote ---

Cool.

I feel like this topic title should be edited slightly to include that project, since they are sort of interrelated. (Direct connection technically is just the thru lanes for I-295 ("direct connection")). Maybe something along the line of "295/76/42 interchange projects"

jeffandnicole:

--- Quote from: ekt8750 on December 20, 2021, 10:27:56 AM ---The beams for the flyover ramp from NB NJ42 to SB I-295 are going up. I would expect an overnight shutdown of 42 soon sometime after the holidays to erect the beams over the roadway.

--- End quote ---

Got a ways to go before that can happen - they haven't built the bridge pier in the median to support the beams going over 42.

It should be noted that NJDOT generally avoids full overnight closures, as the resulting traffic generally would go thru residential areas (even on state routes). They generally will do traffic stoppages of 20 minutes or so to allow time to place the beam in place. While that beam is secured and the next beam is prepared, traffic can flow thru the work site.

The work they've done recently is impressive though. Along with the bridge beams put in place alongside 42 North, the ramps to/from Benigno Blvd are getting their base pavement layers paved. "Traffic Light Ahead" signage with flashy yellow warning lights, solar powered, have been installed for the 42 North to Benigno Blvd ramp.

I believe the plan is to have these ramps open, then shift traffic to the right to allow the contractor to set up a work zone in the median to construct that missing pier to complete the overpass ramp.

--- Quote from: famartin on December 20, 2021, 10:29:47 AM ---I feel like this topic title should be edited slightly to include that project, since they are sort of interrelated. (Direct connection technically is just the thru lanes for I-295 ("direct connection")). Maybe something along the line of "295/76/42 interchange projects"

--- End quote ---

Let me see what I can do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version