News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NJ - 295/76/42 Construction Projects

Started by jeffandnicole, January 23, 2013, 09:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on September 23, 2014, 10:30:56 PM
Has the advertising for bids for the Missing Movesproject been pushed back to 2017-18?  That would be a two year delay.

Per NJDOT's 5 Year Capital Plan, it shows a little construction money in FY16, although most of the money is allocated in FYs 17-19.  http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/capital/tcp15/sec6/njdot5year.pdf

(Note: NJDOT fiscal year runs from either July thru June, or from October thru September.  For example, FY16 would be from July, 2015 thru June, 2016).

jeffandnicole

In what I believe is a rare instance of NJDOT using orange construction signage on a BGS, they are trying hard to inform people that at the short lane split around 168 that all lanes are thru lanes. They covered up the 1 Mile & 3/4 mile distances to get the message across...

Roadrunner75

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 03, 2014, 09:08:22 PM
In what I believe is a rare instance of NJDOT using orange construction signage on a BGS, they are trying hard to inform people that at the short lane split around 168 that all lanes are thru lanes. They covered up the 1 Mile & 3/4 mile distances to get the message across...
I don't blame them.  But no matter how hard they try people will still cut each other off at the split to get in the "right" lane.  I drive through two short construction splits on the GSP every day just south of exit 98, and see people constantly barrel over to the other lane at the last second while I'm shouting to myself "Idiot!  They all go to the same place!".  (wish I had my old CB with the PA speaker...)

Zeffy

The idiocy I saw when I was driving down to Camden a few months back was ridiculous. People were cutting everyone off because they thought they were going to end up where they didn't want to be. This is a good move by NJDOT, if people actually bother to read it.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

SteveG1988

I drove through it in a semi, it is intersting to say the least to see it so changed in such a short period of time (been 2 years since i was able to drive through it, due to the car accident, and even then i rarely went south of camden on the western side of NJ)
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on October 03, 2014, 09:28:20 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 03, 2014, 09:08:22 PM
I don't blame them.  But no matter how hard they try people will still cut each other off at the split to get in the "right" lane.  I drive through two short construction splits on the GSP every day just south of exit 98, and see people constantly barrel over to the other lane at the last second while I'm shouting to myself "Idiot!  They all go to the same place!".  (wish I had my old CB with the PA speaker...)

Quote from: Zeffy on October 03, 2014, 09:34:28 PM
The idiocy I saw when I was driving down to Camden a few months back was ridiculous. People were cutting everyone off because they thought they were going to end up where they didn't want to be. This is a good move by NJDOT, if people actually bother to read it.

Since this traffic pattern and signage only started on Thursday, what you actually drove thru is absolutely normal for the area.  Start with a high speed roadway, add in low speed curves, left side exits, signage that doesn't provide the full details ("Left" and "Right" leaves out the middle lane), motorists that insist on staying in the wrong lane until the last minute and a 2nd interchange a 1/2 mile north of the main interchange (NJ 168), and there's a lot of quick chaotic merging that goes on.  Normally, it operates fine (as long as you are immune to all of this).  Add in a construction project where there's lane shifts, traffic pattern changes, stuff here one day and gone the next, stuff that wasn't there yesterday and now appears, then it just adds to the chaotic nature. 

As far as this specific lane split goes, yep, I've already seen the last second lane jumps.  On the Southbound side, it probably doesn't add too much to the congestion, because the congestion runs thru this area and continues into the interchange.  On the Northbound side though, it does appear to be contributing to increased delays.  Hopefully they do whatever they need to do in this stretch of roadway quickly to bring it back to normal conditions.

Interestingly enough, they're not even bothering to mill and fill in the rumble strip where the lanes divide.  So when you are shifted left or right into the shoulder, you drive right over the rumble strip.  This may actually slow traffic down even more - not a whole lot, but when you're used to the rumble strip to indicate you're leaving the travel lanes, it may be a little jarring for some to be in their proper lane, and still go over the rumble strip!

South of the interchange area on 295, there's another similar split.  The ramp lane from the 76 East to 295 South ramp is forced to stay left; the left lane of 295 coming up from Aljo Curve stays left also, and the right lane is split off to the right. Granted, traffic volumes are lighter here, but there's been no real issue of traffic congesting in this area.  Also interesting is that a 65 mph sign is posted in this area - it was covered when construction started, but sometime over last winter or spring the plastic fell off, and they've made no attempts to recover the sign!

J Route Z

I really hope they won't have to reconstruct the Route 168 bridge over 295..again. This should not interfere with the project, though it seems like it is in the project limits.

jeffandnicole

It's the northern point of the construction zone.  The overpass itself won't be touched.

danlb_2000

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 04, 2014, 11:06:03 AM

Since this traffic pattern and signage only started on Thursday, what you actually drove thru is absolutely normal for the area.  Start with a high speed roadway, add in low speed curves, left side exits, signage that doesn't provide the full details ("Left" and "Right" leaves out the middle lane), motorists that insist on staying in the wrong lane until the last minute and a 2nd interchange a 1/2 mile north of the main interchange (NJ 168), and there's a lot of quick chaotic merging that goes on.  Normally, it operates fine (as long as you are immune to all of this).  Add in a construction project where there's lane shifts, traffic pattern changes, stuff here one day and gone the next, stuff that wasn't there yesterday and now appears, then it just adds to the chaotic nature. 

As far as this specific lane split goes, yep, I've already seen the last second lane jumps.  On the Southbound side, it probably doesn't add too much to the congestion, because the congestion runs thru this area and continues into the interchange.  On the Northbound side though, it does appear to be contributing to increased delays.  Hopefully they do whatever they need to do in this stretch of roadway quickly to bring it back to normal conditions.

Interestingly enough, they're not even bothering to mill and fill in the rumble strip where the lanes divide.  So when you are shifted left or right into the shoulder, you drive right over the rumble strip.  This may actually slow traffic down even more - not a whole lot, but when you're used to the rumble strip to indicate you're leaving the travel lanes, it may be a little jarring for some to be in their proper lane, and still go over the rumble strip!

South of the interchange area on 295, there's another similar split.  The ramp lane from the 76 East to 295 South ramp is forced to stay left; the left lane of 295 coming up from Aljo Curve stays left also, and the right lane is split off to the right. Granted, traffic volumes are lighter here, but there's been no real issue of traffic congesting in this area.  Also interesting is that a 65 mph sign is posted in this area - it was covered when construction started, but sometime over last winter or spring the plastic fell off, and they've made no attempts to recover the sign!

They actually removed the rumble strips over the weekend. Glad they did, that was annoying.

One thing I have been curious about, there are small sections of Jersey barriers blocking the shoulders on 295 on either side of the road well north of Blackhorse pike. There doesn't seem to be anything behind them and they are doing any work up there. Can't figure out why they are there.

jeffandnicole

They actually removed the rumble strips over the weekend. Glad they did, that was annoying.

Now that you mentioned it, I didn't notice them today!

Updated...they removed them - on the SB side of the roadway. On the Northbound side, the left shoulder rumble strip remains.  They did place a 'Rough Pavement' sign before it though!

jeffandnicole

Since I apparently hit 'modify' rather than quote', I took out my response to this question:

QuoteOne thing I have been curious about, there are small sections of Jersey barriers blocking the shoulders on 295 on either side of the road well north of Blackhorse pike. There doesn't seem to be anything behind them and they are doing any work up there. Can't figure out why they are there.

Those barriers are for installing overhead signs for the advanced BGS signage: 2 Miles Ahead, 1 Mile Ahead, and 1/2 Mile Ahead.  Some of 168's signage will move to those overhead structures as well.

Not sure if this is a standard or not, but it does appear that no new overhead BGSs will be on existing overpasses: All will be on their own support structures over the roadway, many times just before an overpass. 

As you can see, they don't appear to be in any rush to complete the work behind those barriers.  Other than the barrier blocking some of the 168 decel lane, at least it doesn't impact the travel lanes.

Some of the new structures and signage are already up on Rt. 42 North approaching I-295; on 295 North & 76 East, most of the underground work has been completed for the structures as well.

danlb_2000

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 08, 2014, 08:50:14 AM
Since I apparently hit 'modify' rather than quote', I took out my response to this question:

QuoteOne thing I have been curious about, there are small sections of Jersey barriers blocking the shoulders on 295 on either side of the road well north of Blackhorse pike. There doesn't seem to be anything behind them and they are doing any work up there. Can't figure out why they are there.

Those barriers are for installing overhead signs for the advanced BGS signage: 2 Miles Ahead, 1 Mile Ahead, and 1/2 Mile Ahead.  Some of 168's signage will move to those overhead structures as well.

Not sure if this is a standard or not, but it does appear that no new overhead BGSs will be on existing overpasses: All will be on their own support structures over the roadway, many times just before an overpass. 

As you can see, they don't appear to be in any rush to complete the work behind those barriers.  Other than the barrier blocking some of the 168 decel lane, at least it doesn't impact the travel lanes.

Some of the new structures and signage are already up on Rt. 42 North approaching I-295; on 295 North & 76 East, most of the underground work has been completed for the structures as well.

Ok, that explains it. I also noticed a new sign structure going up just before the Creek Road overpass on 295 N. Any reason for putting these on independent structures instead of on the bridges?

lepidopteran

Quote from: danlb_2000 on October 08, 2014, 03:09:19 PM
I also noticed a new sign structure going up just before the Creek Road overpass on 295 N. Any reason for putting these on independent structures instead of on the bridges?
There's been a tendency lately all around to put BGSs on their own gantries, rather than mount them to a bridge.  Not completely sure why; some say it's about adding extra weight to the bridge, but isn't the weight of a BGS but a fly speck compared to the 53-foot tractor-trailers most overpasses are designed to carry?  Perhaps the sign's aerodynamic effect on the bridge during high winds might be an issue.

jeffandnicole

A few pics of the local streets around the interchange:

The new traffic light at the intersection of Edgewood Ave approaching Creek Rd (Exit 14 on Rt. 42 North).  The barrels are for an unrelated project - a new Wawa will be built at this intersection.  You can see the back of the traffic light for the 2 driveways opposite this intersection...and the back of a huge "No Turn On Red" sign!  (That must be nice to look at every day from your front window.  And does it really have to be *that* big???)

The traffic light on Creek Rd. at Harding Ave; mostly serving traffic to/from Rt. 42 South.  (Side note...at this intersection or the next intersection is supposed to be a Weed Factory Medical Marijuana Dispensary.)

The 295 Overpass over Essex Ave. 

The gap between the new 295 NB Overpass and the older 295 SB overpass as seen from Essex Ave.

This is the work going on to the right of the 295 North lanes off of Essex Ave (if you're on 295 North, you're approaching 76).  The dirt they are building up will be the ramp for traffic going from 295 North to 76 West.

The Bell Rd Overpass.  The bridge itself is completed from what I can tell.  The only thing left is to complete the asphalt paving on either side of the overpass.  I would say within a month's time, the bridge will be back to handling normal two-way traffic.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 25, 2014, 10:00:26 PM
The new traffic light at the intersection of Edgewood Ave approaching Creek Rd (Exit 14 on Rt. 42 North).  The barrels are for an unrelated project - a new Wawa will be built at this intersection.  You can see the back of the traffic light for the 2 driveways opposite this intersection...and the back of a huge "No Turn On Red" sign!  (That must be nice to look at every day from your front window.  And does it really have to be *that* big???)
That's pretty funny - almost as if that was the end result of an argument someone at NJDOT/County/contractor had with the homeowner over the work.  "Let's see how you like a big sign facing your bay window!"  Even if technically warranted, there is probably a better way to handle that.  I'd take it down in a week if I was the homeowner.

Is the new Wawa supposed to take up the remainder of the block north of the State Police station (its current lot and the gas station north of it)?

jeffandnicole

That's wouldn't surprise me if the homeowners had issues. I would be removing it too.

Yes: the original Wawa & the Lukoil were both knocked down. Unlike most of Wawa's projects, this one has been very slow. Could've been ground fuel/oil issues though that had to be taken care of first.

jeffandnicole

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/new_jersey/20141030_The_oldest_house_no_one_knew_about.html

Based on the reaction in my carpool, the house that no one knew about is mostly true: This house, hidden from view of the interchange because of the trees that were there, suddenly appeared as if the owners had a full-frontal view of the massive project.  However, it's actually located in the back of a cemetery and its only use may have been for storage.  While suddenly some people want to save it, according to the article and the comments it sounds like it's barely standing on its own.

danlb_2000

The article also says "Diocese of Camden, which is currently in litigation with the DOT over the I-295/I-76/Route 42 interchange overhaul". Any idea what this is about?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: danlb_2000 on November 04, 2014, 06:07:28 PM
The article also says "Diocese of Camden, which is currently in litigation with the DOT over the I-295/I-76/Route 42 interchange overhaul". Any idea what this is about?

The Diocese own the cemetery. The dispute centers around the land NJDOT needed to take: land that the cemetery may have used in the future, so we're not talking about where actual graves are located. NJDOT said the land is worth $1 million or so; the Diocese claims it's worth about $6 million. Courts have sided with the state. Diocese is appealing.

At least I believe what the fight is about. I'll try to look up some info on it tomorrow.

jeffandnicole

A few updates...

Here's the Creek Rd Overpass and Pedestrian bridge. 

Starting here: Creek Rd is to the right; the Ped overpass is to the left.  You can see the rebar for the bridge piers in the middle.  Rt. 42 South is in the foreground. The new bridge will be wider and longer than the original, which was 2 lanes wide.  The new overpass will be 3 lanes wide (for a left turn channel from Creek Rd to Rt. 42 South) and will probably feature more shoulder room and pedestrian room.  It will also provide much greater clearance over Rt. 42.

Closeup of the piers:

Closeup of the Rt. 42 South side, where you can see how extended the overpass will be.  The ramp from I-295 South to Rt. 42 South will be meeting with Rt. 42 here.  The highway will be 6 lanes wide: Rt. 42's 4 lanes, along with the ramp's 2 lanes. The far right lane will be the exit lane for Creek Rd.

Looking across the future Creek Rd overpass area.  Rt. 42 North is closest to us.  The overpass on this side will be lengthened as well.  The limits on this overpass will encroach on the 2nd pic's property by a good 10 feet or so, although I would imagine some of this will be sidewalk.

jeffandnicole

Walkway leading to the overpass on the Rt. 42 South side.

The Creek Rd Ped Overpass, crossing from Rt. 42 South to Rt. 42 North.

Walkway leading to the Ped Overpass on the Rt. 42 North side:

The Creek Rd Ped Overpass, crossing from Rt. 42 North to Rt. 42 South.

jeffandnicole

The Bell Road overpass is now fully open.  Here's looking at it from the 295 North side:

Here's looking at it from the I-295 South side.

Slightly closer: 

This is from the NJDOT website: The photo simulation of what the overpass would appear as from this perspective.  (Note there's no sunglare!!):

danlb_2000

Good photos! I keep meaning to go out on the temporary pedestrian walkway to get some picture.

I noticed the other day that they are getting ready to start setting the steel for the new 295N ramp. Some very big pieces of steel where staged along 42N and a crane was in place by where the new ramp will be.

danlb_2000

Here is a picture of the steel beams waiting to be installed for the new 295 N ramp. I assume they will be setting a cross piece between the two concrete columns, then these pieces of steel will run from there back to the end of the new ramp.

Roadrunner75

Nice photos.  I'm kind of surprised NJDOT went through the trouble of doing a rendering of what the Bell Road overpass would look like from that perspective - kind of a minor element and not that much different than before for drivers on the bridge.  I'm hoping to get down that way soon to take a look at the progress.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.