News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NJ - 295/76/42 Construction Projects

Started by jeffandnicole, January 23, 2013, 09:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

odditude

Quote from: danlb_2000 on May 19, 2017, 07:19:33 PM
Here is a picture of the damage to the wall..
the image link is broken for me.

danlb_2000

bzakharin

I noticed that the overheads spanning both I-76 East and I-295 South (https://goo.gl/qTRtjY and both signs at https://goo.gl/HcQoXS) are gone. Instead, both *left* exits now have an LGS on the *right* of the roadway with just a shield and a left arrow at the exit point (the left side of both the roadways still has the standard Exit LGS too) . The separate 1/2 mile advance sign for NJ 42 on I-295 is still there. Not sure what the reason for this change is.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on June 26, 2017, 09:51:18 AM
I noticed that the overheads spanning both I-76 East and I-295 South (https://goo.gl/qTRtjY and both signs at https://goo.gl/HcQoXS) are gone. Instead, both *left* exits now have an LGS on the *right* of the roadway with just a shield and a left arrow at the exit point (the left side of both the roadways still has the standard Exit LGS too) . The separate 1/2 mile advance sign for NJ 42 on I-295 is still there. Not sure what the reason for this change is.

They're going to be tearing up and moving the road around throughout the next year or two.  Basically, the sign supports off to the right shoulder are in the way.  In fact, one of the temporary signs had to get removed the other day because even that was in the way. 

Eventually, 295 South next to 42 will split, once the temporary overpass for Browning Road is installed and the existing overpassed is demolished.

The still-existing 1/2 mile ahead overhead sign is out of the way for now.

danlb_2000

The new ramp from 76 West to 295 North opened this morning. The biggest change that comes with this is that the two lanes from the ramp, merge with the two right lanes of 295 very close to the Black Horse Pike exit. I have a feeling this is going to cause a lot of problems with people coming from 76 and trying to cross over to get to the Black Horse Pike exit. It wasn't to bad this morning, but traffic coming off of 42 was lighter then usual due to the accident.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: danlb_2000 on August 01, 2017, 07:03:30 AM
The new ramp from 76 West to 295 North opened this morning. The biggest change that comes with this is that the two lanes from the ramp, merge with the two right lanes of 295 very close to the Black Horse Pike exit. I have a feeling this is going to cause a lot of problems with people coming from 76 and trying to cross over to get to the Black Horse Pike exit. It wasn't to bad this morning, but traffic coming off of 42 was lighter then usual due to the accident.

Seeing it was open on the traffic cam, I took a different route to take the new ramp.  It'll be bad both ways - traffic from Rt. 42/295 effectively has one lane near the Rt. 168 exit.

Now that the old ramp from 76E to 295N is closed, they should hopefully, reasonably quickly, construct another temporary road for 295 North that'll merge into the new ramp there, allowing for a better lane configuration.

Once that's done, then the roads will be out of the way for them to start constructing the mainline 295 overpass north/east of 42/76.

danlb_2000

Chris19001

Quote from: danlb_2000 on August 04, 2017, 10:46:52 AM
I put up a blog post with picture of the new ramp.
http://i295directconnection.blogspot.com/#!/2017/08/76-west-to-295-north-ramp.html
I must be getting old..  Why would the ramp going from 76 West fly over the road to go to 295North?  Are you approaching from 76East instead of West, or are the directions flipped on the Jersey side after the WW Bridge?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Chris19001 on August 04, 2017, 12:46:59 PM
http://i295directconnection.blogspot.com/#!/2017/08/76-west-to-295-north-ramp.html
I must be getting old..  Why would the ramp going from 76 West fly over the road to go to 295North?  Are you approaching from 76East instead of West, or are the directions flipped on the Jersey side after the WW Bridge?

He meant 76 East to 295 North.

danlb_2000

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 04, 2017, 01:24:34 PM

Thanks, I have corrected the blog post.

I also checked the plans and they are going to shift the ramp from 42 over so it merges with the other ramp earlier as you suggested. I saw this morning that they have already started to demo the bridge that went over the original 42 to 295 ramp.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: danlb_2000 on August 04, 2017, 02:07:24 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 04, 2017, 01:24:34 PM

Thanks, I have corrected the blog post.

I also checked the plans and they are going to shift the ramp from 42 over so it merges with the other ramp earlier as you suggested. I saw this morning that they have already started to demo the bridge that went over the original 42 to 295 ramp.

Yeah they didn't take long.  I didn't notice anything Tuesday (the first day the new bridge was opened), but by Wednesday the old bridge had already started being ripped down!

I'm wondering when they're going to finally get that sign gantry up over the SB lanes.  It looked like there may have been a problem with the original concrete pour at the foundation as some of the concrete had been removed.  That's all fixed now, so I imagine they just need some time overnight to put up the supports, then the gantry.

danlb_2000

bzakharin

It looks like they re-striped the I-295 Southbound lanes approaching the I-76 exit such that a fourth lane is added on the right and the left two lanes exit to I-76, which means there is now only one thru lane of 295 through that area in both directions. Not sure why they feel the need to do this since simply striping the lanes differently could easily provide two thru lanes in both directions at the expense of narrowing I-76 exit/entrance traffic to one lane briefly.

danlb_2000

Here is a good picture of the demolition of the old 76 East to 295 North ramp, taken from the Browning Road overpass.

More pictures here:

http://i295directconnection.blogspot.com/2017/09/september-2017.html

jeffandnicole

It's amazing the work they are doing just for a *temporary* bridge for Browning Road!

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 03, 2017, 10:07:51 AM
It's amazing the work they are doing just for a *temporary* bridge for Browning Road!
Bridges gotta span.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alps on September 03, 2017, 12:41:07 PM
Bridges gotta span.

Past temporary bridges (ie: Creek Road) used temporary measures.  This one is going all-out, spending what appears to be upwards of $10 million building what are normally permanent features of a bridge, for a bridge that'll last for all of 3 years.

danlb_2000

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 04, 2017, 11:24:09 AM
Quote from: Alps on September 03, 2017, 12:41:07 PM
Bridges gotta span.

Past temporary bridges (ie: Creek Road) used temporary measures.  This one is going all-out, spending what appears to be upwards of $10 million building what are normally permanent features of a bridge, for a bridge that'll last for all of 3 years.

It's interesting that we have now seen three different approaches to overpass rebuilding in this project, one way at a time using a traffic light on Bell Road, squeezing in a lane in each direction by using a temporary pedestrian bridge on Creek, and now building a complete temporary bridge for Browning.

bzakharin

It almost seems like they're expecting for funding to be cut off in the middle of this project

jeffandnicole

A VMS sign on 295 this morning announced a new traffic pattern starting Sept 16.  I will assume this is to move 295 North onto the new, temporary alignment that'll connect it with the 76E to 295N ramp just off that ramp's new overpass.

If so, there's quite a bit of work to be done in the next 5 or so days.  I believe there's a small area that doesn't even have any pavement yet!

danlb_2000

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 11, 2017, 11:11:51 AM
A VMS sign on 295 this morning announced a new traffic pattern starting Sept 16.  I will assume this is to move 295 North onto the new, temporary alignment that'll connect it with the 76E to 295N ramp just off that ramp's new overpass.

If so, there's quite a bit of work to be done in the next 5 or so days.  I believe there's a small area that doesn't even have any pavement yet!

Yeah, I noticed that sign the other day. I agree there doesn't seem to be enough time to have that new ramp ready, but I can't think of anything else it could be at this point.

danlb_2000

They were paving yesterday and today so it looks like this will be ready by then. Looks like it will be one lane from 42 merging with two lanes from 76.

danlb_2000

Quote from: danlb_2000 on September 13, 2017, 04:26:22 PM

They were paving yesterday and today so it looks like this will be ready by then. Looks like it will be one lane from 42 merging with two lanes from 76.

Looks like I was wrong about the one lane part, they did the striping today and there are three lanes on the new ramp. I assume this will merge down to 4 lanes before it gets to Black Horse Pike when one of those lanes will be the exit lane.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: danlb_2000 on September 14, 2017, 04:23:30 PM
Quote from: danlb_2000 on September 13, 2017, 04:26:22 PM

Looks like I was wrong about the one lane part, they did the striping today and there are three lanes on the new ramp. I assume this will merge down to 4 lanes before it gets to Black Horse Pike when one of those lanes will be the exit lane.

Just saw that myself. I also saw on the plans that this temporary roadway - 5 lanes wide - will also have a traffic light at one point. I tried asking about it at the latest public meeting, pointing it out on the display, and the engineer there had no clue. He BS'ed me an answer which I lived with because I knew I wasn't going to get an actual reason.

jeffandnicole

The new-new 295 North lanes were opened this morning.  Other than the tendency to want to turn a few hundred feet sooner, they were fine.  The lanes have a seemingly sharp curve, but at the 45 mph limit the car easily handled them (it's worth noting that the construction speed limit continues to be 10 mph *faster* than the original lanes). 

It meets up with the 76E to 295N ramp quickly, and maintains 5 lanes for a considerable distance before narrowing to 4 lanes, before the right lane becomes the exit only lane for Exit 28.  I'm not even sure if the final design in this area is even 5 lanes wide...I forget if the 2 lane ramps merge into 1 lane before or after they meet up with the 295 mainline.

In other news, the new traffic pattern on 295 South between Rt. 168 and Exit 26 remains a clusterfuck.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.