News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NJ - 295/76/42 Construction Projects

Started by jeffandnicole, January 23, 2013, 09:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

famartin

At this rate I'm wondering if missing moves will be finished before the direct connection...

danlb_2000

Quote from: Zeffy on March 26, 2021, 07:32:03 PM

:banghead: In that case, we might see it done by 2030 if we're lucky...

What a mess.

At the moment project is being held up by the Browning Road overpass replacement which will take at least a year once they resume work on it, so that gives them plenty of time to repair the collapse and not have it impact the schedule.

I do wonder how much they will have to tare down to do that repair.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: famartin on March 26, 2021, 08:42:30 PM
At this rate I'm wondering if missing moves will be finished before the direct connection...

Well, it was supposed to be anyway.  The Missing Moves project should be completed in late 2023.

This week, they've been putting up the steel supports for the new Creek Road overpass.

famartin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 26, 2021, 11:16:17 PM

Well, it was supposed to be anyway.  The Missing Moves project should be completed in late 2023.

This week, they've been putting up the steel supports for the new Creek Road overpass.

Yeah, now, but as I'm sure you are aware, I don't think that was the original idea. Oh well...

jeffandnicole

Quote from: famartin on March 26, 2021, 11:21:43 PM

Yeah, now, but as I'm sure you are aware, I don't think that was the original idea. Oh well...

The long ago history...the feds said that NJ had to complete the missing moves first to take pressure off the interchange. 

When it was determined the amount of traffic wasn't going to be statistically all that much, that requirement was eliminated.

Then, it became which delayed project would start and end first...

The Direct Connection went from a 5 year project, to an 8 year project (2021), to a 11 year project (2024), to a 14 year project (2027).  Give or take a year.

The Missing Moves just kept getting pushed back in non-construction phases.  It finally went out to bid in 2019, started in 2020, with a due date of late 2023 or early 2024.  From observations, that project appears to be at or ahead of schedule.  The most significant part of that job that seems to need some more work are the takeoff ramps from both 295 North and 42 North.

So, depending which timeline you want to look at, originally the missing moves should've been completed first.  After that wasn't necessary, it was simply 2 completely distinct projects that didn't really interfere with each other, other than a few signage issues.  And when you want to consider that factor, there was also a NJ 47 overpass replacement project over 295 intertwined with everything, which at one point created a situation where 3 advanced "Road Work" project signage consistently overlapped each other.

famartin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 26, 2021, 11:33:26 PM

The long ago history...the feds said that NJ had to complete the missing moves first to take pressure off the interchange.

Interesting, I never knew that.  :thumbsup:

tolbs17

Quote from: Zeffy on March 26, 2021, 07:32:03 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 26, 2021, 07:14:51 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on March 26, 2021, 05:15:53 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on March 26, 2021, 10:56:51 AM
https://6abc.com/10448444/?ex_cid=TA_WPVI_FB&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0u6TM5OU-S9J6Ij2M0tEPz5mLapUNON8GyuOYQ7DPmoC7fLe5ocpLj-TM

Well it's happened already.  After years of building this whole thing has to happened.

QuoteThe wall is part of a nearly $1 billion road project called Direct Connection that will one day link several major highways with the goal of reducing traffic.

Right now The Direct Connection project is set to be completed by the fall of 2024.

Well, now I'm going to guess it'll be 2028 before it might be completed, knowing the rate of work that gets done in the state when it comes to roads.

2024 was the old date.  The most recent construction timeline was 2027!

:banghead: In that case, we might see it done by 2030 if we're lucky...

What a mess.
Which is almost 20 years for just a fucking road project.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: famartin on March 27, 2021, 12:59:43 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 26, 2021, 11:33:26 PM

Interesting, I never knew that.  :thumbsup:

Yeah. That was probably in the late 90s, early 2000s when that was mentioned. I wish I had something in writing about that, but probably don't.

There is also a period of time when it was discussed about signing ways to get to Route 42 South from 295 North. Ultimately, none of them panned out or were implemented.

roadman65

I remember in the early 80s a TO NJ 42 shield was posted at NJ 168. Whether that was to have motorists U Turn back to I-295 south or just follow Route 168 south to it, I do not know. I was a youngster and my parents were driving at the time to follow up on.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

I was involved in a design project in the mid-2000s that would have incorporated the Missing Moves with a development on the south side of them, potentially with local access ramps and with significant improvements to Creek Rd. I believe there are still plans to develop the landfill but nothing concrete and it was decided that instead of adapting the Missing Moves ramps to maximize development space, they'll build the ramps now and the developer can do as they please later. (It was the economic downturn around the late 2000s that killed that plan.)

danlb_2000

That's assuming missing moves doesn't run into a problems....

A few weeks ago they had put up a prefab support column in the median between 295 North and South, last week I noticed it tipped over, and on Saturday noticed it was gone. Not sure what happened there.

Alps

Quote from: danlb_2000 on March 28, 2021, 09:45:50 AM

A few weeks ago they had put up a prefab support column in the median between 295 North and South, last week I noticed it tipped over, and on Saturday noticed it was gone. Not sure what happened there.
my guess is they removed it because it tipped over

famartin

Quote from: Alps on March 29, 2021, 06:29:50 PM

...which, as he suggests, is mildly alarming with regard to potential additional delays.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: famartin on March 29, 2021, 07:11:56 PM
Quote from: Alps on March 29, 2021, 06:29:50 PM

...which, as he suggests, is mildly alarming with regard to potential additional delays.

This project still had 2.5 years to go, so I don't think this single support should cause a major delay...unless there's a major issue to be resolved.  I never saw it in its tipped over phase, and there's no debris in the area that indicates it came crashing down.  Other work continues nearby.

jeffandnicole

While part of a Facebook meme joke, there's a good aerial shot in this, which shows about 1/4 of the width of the full roadway was damaged.  The NB lanes and median barrier appear to be unaffected, with the collapse occurring about at the midway point of the southbound pavement.  https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10223671225982180&set=a.2065863599696

Per this article, https://www.nj.com/news/2021/03/repairs-continue-on-collapsed-i-295-retaining-wall-cause-still-not-known.html , they are reinforcing the "slope and buttress the wall by adding rip rap, which are large stones, and asphalt millings".  It was revealed though that the previous day prior to the collapse, cracks in the asphalt were noticed.

In this article, https://www.courierpostonline.com/story/news/2021/03/29/295-lane-closure-bellmawr-direct-connection-retaining-wall-collapse/7052741002/ , some politicians want a public meeting with NJDOT to discuss this issue. 

jeffandnicole

NJDOT will be hosting a zoom meeting Wed 4/7/21 at 7pm to discuss the project, especially the collapsed wall. Register in advance... https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_9Up7kgMKTlazpt1o5gv9uQ?fbclid=IwAR0-RHT_4rVKE1GnjS-7KMt0aGubyYR8fGQzK8x2H-bIS1-h7Vx2W-IuErs

jeffandnicole

The online "town hall" type meeting was held last night.  After starting 10 minutes late then another 10 minutes spent with various elected officials complimenting and promoting each other for no particular reason, they got down to business discussing the interchange with NJDOT's commissioner. 

As expected, she didn't offer a reason or cost as to the collapse, which was expected (at least by me) being the collapse happened about 2 weeks ago.  They are currently taking down the wall, and will use an independent forensic engineer to figure out where the problem lies.  She revealed that there was another issue about 2 years ago that was caught early on and fixed in this general area. 

In the online zoom meeting, they posted a picture of cracks in the asphalt found the day before the collapse.  While this had been mentioned previously, it was the first time I've seen a picture of them.  It was stated that they had intended to start discussing what the cause of the cracks were from, but didn't believe it was going to result in the overnight collapse that occurred.  When the pic was taken, there was at least one contractor's car and other construction material in the area that eventually collapsed, which does hint that they didn't expect what eventually occurred less than 18 hours later.

They'll continue to dismantle the wall until they get to a safe point where the soil is secure.  They also didn't have an estimate as to when they'll reopen the closed lane on 295. 

It's estimated they'll have a much better idea as to the exact cause in about 20 - 30 days. 

Also mentioned is that the Browning Road temporary overpass should finally see work start up again in May or June.   And the separate Missing Moves project is running ahead of schedule.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 08, 2021, 02:05:35 PM
The online "town hall" type meeting was held last night.  After starting 10 minutes late then another 10 minutes spent with various elected officials complimenting and promoting each other for no particular reason, they got down to business discussing the interchange with NJDOT's commissioner. 

As expected, she didn't offer a reason or cost as to the collapse, which was expected (at least by me) being the collapse happened about 2 weeks ago.  They are currently taking down the wall, and will use an independent forensic engineer to figure out where the problem lies.  She revealed that there was another issue about 2 years ago that was caught early on and fixed in this general area. 

In the online zoom meeting, they posted a picture of cracks in the asphalt found the day before the collapse.  While this had been mentioned previously, it was the first time I've seen a picture of them.  It was stated that they had intended to start discussing what the cause of the cracks were from, but didn't believe it was going to result in the overnight collapse that occurred.  When the pic was taken, there was at least one contractor's car and other construction material in the area that eventually collapsed, which does hint that they didn't expect what eventually occurred less than 18 hours later.

They'll continue to dismantle the wall until they get to a safe point where the soil is secure.  They also didn't have an estimate as to when they'll reopen the closed lane on 295. 

It's estimated they'll have a much better idea as to the exact cause in about 20 - 30 days. 

Also mentioned is that the Browning Road temporary overpass should finally see work start up again in May or June.   And the separate Missing Moves project is running ahead of schedule.
I meant to tune in and totally changed my plans at the last minute. Great to hear re: Browning.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alps on April 08, 2021, 06:16:18 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 08, 2021, 02:05:35 PM

I meant to tune in and totally changed my plans at the last minute. Great to hear re: Browning.

https://www.facebook.com/NJ5thLeg/videos/190050322927750/  They start talking about 12 seconds into the video.

Alps

Flyer78

https://www.inquirer.com/transportation/interstates-295-76-route-42-interchange-south-jersey-retaining-wall-collapse-20210412.html

Some coverage in the Philly Inquirer this morning.

Now, the late-March collapse of a retaining wall may push back the expected 2028 completion of the $900 million project to untangle the mess.

"Realistically, we have to accept there's going to be some lost time,"  Diane Gutierrez-Scaccetti, the New Jersey transportation commissioner, said last week during a Zoom town-hall meeting with elected leaders and hundreds of area residents who have borne the burden of seemingly endless construction.

She said the department would do its best to limit the setback: "We don't want the orange barrel to be the state flower."

Officials don't yet know what precisely caused the problem, how they will repair it, how long it might extend the project's timeline, or what it will cost to fix. Before that happened, the Direct Connection was already several years behind schedule. Construction began in summer 2013 and originally was supposed to be done this year.

Also links to a fairly detailed video from 42freeway.comhttps://youtu.be/NKdAe0o8_5o

tolbs17

Or demolish everything and build a simple 4-level stack. Problem solved.

jeffandnicole

It appears they have stopped demolishing the wall, which should mean they've found the area of the fault of the collapse, and they're convinced that either side of this area is unaffected.

Quote from: tolbs17 on April 13, 2021, 08:07:22 PM
Or demolish everything and build a simple 4-level stack. Problem solved.

When the project is said and done, it will almost be a 4-level stack, except it won't be a ordinary one because all the levels aren't over top of each other, and there's numerous land use issues, namely a very large cemetery, an existing county road and an existing town that prevents it from being a nice, even stack interchange (not to mention a simple stack interchange isn't in NJDOT's vocabulary).

The 3 levels will be 295 over Browning Road over I-76.  Ramps weave all around.  The 4th level will technically be a basement level ramp going from 295 South to 42 South, but it goes under I-76 just north of the 3 level stack, and starts to rise alongside I-76. 

So, as mentioned, it won't be an ordinary stack, but it's about as close as we'll get in the area to a stack interchange.

danlb_2000

After a several year delay the reconstruction of the Browning Road overpass is finally moving forward. The parts for the temporary bridge are on site and it will soon be moved into position. IT appears that the delay was connected with having to take more land from the cemetery to make room for the assembly of the temporary bridge.

storm2k

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.