News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NJ - 295/76/42 Construction Projects

Started by jeffandnicole, January 23, 2013, 09:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

Quote from: NJRoadfan on January 19, 2014, 12:43:26 AM
Must be because the content of the sign is below the exit tab and not squeezed together in a tiny panel. Most CalTrans signs look like the left side of that sign since they seem to restrict the height of their BGSes no matter the content type.

Which I think is a damn shame, since internal exit tabs can look very nice when the sign content itself isn't jam packed into a tight space. Here's what I think could work for that in a more permanent signing solution:

However, there is a problem of extra space on many parts of the sign in my example, and I imagine that there would be on many signs if NJDOT adopted this practice (which again, is highly unlikely).
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Alps

Quote from: Zeffy on January 19, 2014, 12:33:08 PM
Quote from: NJRoadfan on January 19, 2014, 12:43:26 AM
Must be because the content of the sign is below the exit tab and not squeezed together in a tiny panel. Most CalTrans signs look like the left side of that sign since they seem to restrict the height of their BGSes no matter the content type.

Which I think is a damn shame, since internal exit tabs can look very nice when the sign content itself isn't jam packed into a tight space. Here's what I think could work for that in a more permanent signing solution:

However, there is a problem of extra space on many parts of the sign in my example, and I imagine that there would be on many signs if NJDOT adopted this practice (which again, is highly unlikely).
It's a step away from full-width exit tabs like IL and GA. As long as it's treated as such, the only "problem" becomes the wasted sign space and material. Also, in my view, the exit tab within the sign is not nearly as noticeable to an approaching driver - it can get lost in the "noise" of the rest of the sign - compared to having it separately above the sign.

njunderground

FYI, (sorry, no pic, it was late at night), there is now an overhead cantilever-style exit sign for "I-295 North, Trenton, 1 Mile", just north of the Deptford exit/Big Timber Bridge on 42 North. I used to be thru there everyday, but I now live in North Jersey and only go back to South Jersey on the weekends, so I only saw it tonight (could have been there a few days...?). Looked kind of strange seeing that there! Also, the new ramp to NB I-295 looks ready to open (as others have pointed out, featuring construction-style "truck rollover" graphic signs.)

Mike McGuire

Zeffy

Quote from: Steve on January 19, 2014, 01:02:29 PM
Also, in my view, the exit tab within the sign is not nearly as noticeable to an approaching driver - it can get lost in the "noise" of the rest of the sign - compared to having it separately above the sign.

Very true - I haven't actually had to experience looking at internal exit tabs while driving since I have never been to California. The separate tab probably is much more noticeable then an internal one.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jeffandnicole

Quote from: njunderground on January 20, 2014, 01:16:37 AM
FYI, (sorry, no pic, it was late at night), there is now an overhead cantilever-style exit sign for "I-295 North, Trenton, 1 Mile", just north of the Deptford exit/Big Timber Bridge on 42 North.

I drove this area today to see the sign and get that pic for you...and then I completely forgot to take the picture!  Oh well...  Anyway, the sign is on Rt. 42 at about MP 13.0.  The new exit will be about MP 14.0, and will be using I-76's exit number system, so it'll remain Exit 1B.  For now it's the only sign on the full width overhead structure.  The structure appears to be in place to hold additional signage, especially for the It'll-Happen-Someday missing moves ramps between 295 & 42.  It appears there will be an overhead sign at about the 1/2 mile & 1/4 mile points as well, but they aren't fully installed as of yet (but they were working on them Monday when I drove by).

It's nice that there's even an advanced sign for 295 North, which never existed before.  Previously, there were advanced signs for the I-76 Express/Local lane split, but that simply said I-295/US 130/I-676, Right 2 Lanes.  It would catch some drivers by surprise when, just after that split, the exit for 295 North was right there, and they'd have to cut over from the left local lane to the I-295 North lanes.

Quote from: Zeffy on January 20, 2014, 01:36:04 PM
...The separate tab probably is much more noticeable then an internal one.

IMO, it definitely is.  The current temp tab blends in.  I guess it was easier to rivet in the Exit number within the BGS for the short time needed to note it as an exit.

I am happy that, overall, the project is using nicely sized BGSs (the slightly squeezed 76 to 130/676 Camden Phila notwithstanding).  NJ had been going the route of replacing BGSs with smaller signs, but same size lettering and shields.  Makes the sign awfully crowded. (Quick example: New BGSs on 295 North at Rt. 541: http://goo.gl/maps/iMeiz , compared with older GBSs on 295 South at Rt. 541: http://goo.gl/maps/E8miZ

NJ-Surveyor

Quote from: Steve on January 17, 2014, 07:00:35 PM
Quote from: danlb_2000 on January 17, 2014, 06:13:01 PM
Does anyone know what these concrete pillars are going to be for? There are three of them along 42 North between the 295 ramps. Each one also has two corrugated steel pipes next to it which I assume are going to be used as concrete forms.

It's hard to tell from that angle, but most likely it's supporting I-295 flying high over the entire interchange in the future.

The columns are sign support structures and the corrugated metal is a form for the new supports that hold up the new sound wall. The new ramp opening was delayed by NJDOT due to the forecast over the weekend. I haven't heard of a new date yet.

danlb_2000

Quote from: NJ-Surveyor on January 20, 2014, 09:43:09 PM

The columns are sign support structures and the corrugated metal is a form for the new supports that hold up the new sound wall. The new ramp opening was delayed by NJDOT due to the forecast over the weekend. I haven't heard of a new date yet.

I thought they were going to be bridge supports since the plans refer to them as bridge piers....

jeffandnicole

Sounds like the new ramp isn't going to open for a few weeks.

For the time being, the black plastic wrap has blow off the next LEFT Exit 27 exit tab on both signs. 

NJ-Surveyor

Quote from: danlb_2000 on January 21, 2014, 08:55:02 PM
Quote from: NJ-Surveyor on January 20, 2014, 09:43:09 PM

I thought they were going to be bridge supports since the plans refer to them as bridge piers....

I believe you are correct. We were told that they were sign support structures, after I saw this plan I went to the wall shop drawings for wall #17 and they are called out as pier 2, 4, and 5 columns.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 24, 2014, 08:58:30 AM
Sounds like the new ramp isn't going to open for a few weeks.

For the time being, the black plastic wrap has blow off the next LEFT Exit 27 exit tab on both signs. 

mrsman

Is this the sign you see on I-295 approaching I-76, or is this the sign you see on the short combined section?

It is a little confusing when both I-295 and I-76 are considered exits.

On I-295 north, you should see I-76 EXPRESS exiting from the left, but I-295 should have no exit number.

On I-76 west, you should see I-295 as an exit, but I-76 should not be an exit, even on the combined portion.  If it is the combined portion, and you have multiple lanes going to I-76, you should have a wider BGS for I-76. The above sign seems to indicate a single lane exit ramp to the left for I-76.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: mrsman on January 29, 2014, 09:09:49 PM
Is this the sign you see on I-295 approaching I-76, or is this the sign you see on the short combined section?

It is a little confusing when both I-295 and I-76 are considered exits.

On I-295 north, you should see I-76 EXPRESS exiting from the left, but I-295 should have no exit number.

On I-76 west, you should see I-295 as an exit, but I-76 should not be an exit, even on the combined portion.  If it is the combined portion, and you have multiple lanes going to I-76, you should have a wider BGS for I-76. The above sign seems to indicate a single lane exit ramp to the left for I-76.

The black tarp covering up Left Exit 27 was blown off during last week's heavy winds.  When the interchange goes into it's temporary configuration, I-76 West will be a one lane exit from I-295 North.  The Express/Local configuration will be history.  Current exit 26 to I-76 Express will remain as well.  The end result: 2 exits onto the same direction road, on opposite sides of the highway, with different exit numbers.

motorway

Apropos of nothing else here, I would like to extend my sincere thanks to my home state for erecting all new signs (at least so far as I've seen) in "Highway Gothic" and not that horrendous Clearview. There seem to be some astute aesthetes making decisions at NJDOT...

Alps

Quote from: motorway on January 30, 2014, 04:23:16 PM
Apropos of nothing else here, I would like to extend my sincere thanks to my home state for erecting all new signs (at least so far as I've seen) in "Highway Gothic" and not that horrendous Clearview. There seem to be some astute aesthetes making decisions at NJDOT...
They just decided they don't want Clearview. It's really not that hard a decision. More agencies should do it.

Zeffy

Quote from: Alps on January 30, 2014, 06:48:45 PM
They just decided they don't want Clearview. It's really not that hard a decision. More agencies should do it.

I've seen Clearview BGS on I-676. Then my county decides to erect Clearview street signs. Luckily, the shields are entirely still Highway Gothic like they should be.

motorway

Quote from: Alps on January 30, 2014, 06:48:45 PM

Now it's not merely a coincidence that my three favorite road states are NJ, MA, and CA...making the brave decision not to board the Clearview bandwagon.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: Zeffy on January 30, 2014, 06:52:58 PM
I've seen Clearview BGS on I-676. Then my county decides to erect Clearview street signs. Luckily, the shields are entirely still Highway Gothic like they should be.

I'd like to know the story behind those signs on I-676. Many municipalities here are now posting MUTCD2009 complaint blade street signs with Clearview. At least they seem to be properly kerning the font.

PHLBOS

Quote from: NJRoadfan on January 31, 2014, 12:27:29 AM
Quote from: Zeffy on January 30, 2014, 06:52:58 PM

I'd like to know the story behind those signs on I-676.
What's even weirder with those Clearview BGS', at least at the time those GSVs were shot, is that only selected BGS' on the gantries have the font whereas other BGS panels of similar vintage feature Highway Gothic; and it's not consistently applied.

My guess is that those Clearview BGS installations were either one-offs or a font selection error was done by either the designer, contractor and/or fabricator.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Zeffy

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 31, 2014, 12:35:02 PM
My guess is that those Clearview BGS installations were either one-offs or a font selection error was done by either the designer, contractor and/or fabricator.

That's my guess as well. I still don't see the need for the Clearview street blades though - just use mixed case Series C or D.

jeffandnicole

On Rt. 42 today, the VMS had a message stating the new ramp to 295 North will open Monday. But also today, the forecast for Monday, which originally called for barely a chance of snow has quickly ramped up to a possible 3"-6". So we'll see if they postpone the ramp opening again.

In other observations, below is one of the new overhead sign structures on 42 North.

Zeffy

Glad to see the new BGS being put up aren't complete abortions. Although they really should include the county name in the CR 753 shield, and I have to ask this: How you can be at Exit 1B in 1/2 of a mile, but in a 1/4 you're at Exit 14? I'm assuming it has something to do with the different highways' exit numbers.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Zeffy on February 01, 2014, 05:57:46 PM
Glad to see the new BGS being put up aren't complete abortions. Although they really should include the county name in the CR 753 shield, and I have to ask this: How you can be at Exit 1B in 1/2 of a mile, but in a 1/4 you're at Exit 14? I'm assuming it has something to do with the different highways' exit numbers.

One of the nuances of 1 road having 2 different identities (3, if you want to include the AC Expressway).

Exit 14 is the last exit of Rt. 42.  Exit 1B is the 1st exit of I-76 West.

Once the new ramp configuration is in place, the resulting BGS that has both Exit 27 & Exit 1B on it will be revised, and from what I saw on the bid plans, should look like a very nice APL BGS.

Most BGS county route shields don't state the county.  I'd imagine at 20 feet above the roadway, the county wouldn't be legible anyway.

NJRoadfan

Looking at the diagram of this new ramp makes one wonder why the interchange wasn't built with it to begin with. That weave with I-295 and I-76 was stupid even in the 60s.

danlb_2000

jeffandnicole

The ramp is finally open!

Some pictures, first, for those on 295 North:

And some on Rt. 42 North:

(295 NORTH EXIT 1B RIGHT LANE ONLY)

(ALL OTHER ROUTES USE LEFT LANES)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.