News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Huntsville

Started by Real Life Guitar Hero, January 26, 2009, 02:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freebrickproductions

The gantry for Clinton Avenue at the exit for Clinton Avenue along the southbound lanes of Memorial Parkway was removed yesterday or the day before due to wind damage.
Removed Gantry by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
IIRC, it was because the wind was strong enough to lean the gantry in such a way that a truck could've hit the sign. Either way though, we now get to wait another decade before ALDOT gets around to fixing and/or replacing it!

Also, here's an update on the Parkway's construction as of today:
Memorial Parkway Construction Update 6-16-17 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Boulevard South by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Boulevard South by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Speed Limit __ by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
This No Left Turn sign seems a bit pointless:
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

formulanone

I'm just glad County Line Road construction finally ceased after 30 months of 40 mph speed limits.

codyg1985

Quote from: formulanone on June 19, 2017, 05:58:11 AM
I'm just glad County Line Road construction finally ceased after 30 months of 40 mph speed limits.

I honestly think they should have added a lane in each direction in addition to the bikepaths. It is only going to get more congested as development continues to the west. Of course, we don't plan for future growth around here; we just do the bare minimum to alleviate the congestion that is already there.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Jdsizzleslice

Quote from: codyg1985 on June 19, 2017, 07:21:41 AM

I honestly think they should have added a lane in each direction in addition to the bikepaths. It is only going to get more congested as development continues to the west. Of course, we don't plan for future growth around here; we just do the bare minimum to alleviate the congestion that is already there.
What will be the real kicker for Madison is when they *eventually* decide to add more lanes onto US-72. But you're right, they should have added another lane when they had the chance.

formulanone

Quote from: Jdsizzleslice on July 27, 2017, 08:23:29 AM

What will be the real kicker for Madison is when they *eventually* decide to add more lanes onto US-72. But you're right, they should have added another lane when they had the chance.

Wasn't US 72 supposed to get six lanes from Providence to County Line Road? I recall hearing two years ago that construction was to begin in 2016, but then Bill Holtzclaw decided that wasn't what we needed (without any alternative).

codyg1985

Quote from: formulanone on July 27, 2017, 01:37:43 PM

Wasn't US 72 supposed to get six lanes from Providence to County Line Road? I recall hearing two years ago that construction was to begin in 2016, but then Bill Holtzclaw decided that wasn't what we needed (without any alternative).

I think it is still on the table. Not sure when, though. A lot of the promised projects haven't been let yet.
Cody Goodman

Jdsizzleslice

Quote from: formulanone on July 27, 2017, 01:37:43 PM

I remember it being because Bill opposed former Gov. Bentley on a different issue, so he cut part of the road budget that would widen 72.

cjk374

Maybe all of you who are residence of Huntsville can solve a mystery for me.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.6303921,-86.5651663,0a,75y/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sdeKAP2g9_l9VyV3RWeQW3g!2e0 Check out Mountain Gap Road Southeast, Huntsville, Alabama Shared via the #StreetView app

This is not your normal trackside signal. What is it used for?  :hmmm:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

codyg1985

Cody Goodman

freebrickproductions

Quote from: cjk374 on August 06, 2017, 09:56:35 AM
Maybe all of you who are residence of Huntsville can solve a mystery for me.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.6303921,-86.5651663,0a,75y/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sdeKAP2g9_l9VyV3RWeQW3g!2e0 Check out Mountain Gap Road Southeast, Huntsville, Alabama Shared via the #StreetView app

This is not your normal trackside signal. What is it used for?  :hmmm:
Quote from: codyg1985 on August 06, 2017, 10:00:51 AM
I am not sure, but the crossing at Hobbs Road has a track signal with it too.
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.6131837,-86.5631807,3a,70.6y,87.86h,96.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s1VTKfo93YKjS50Vgqe2rfw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Both are used to let the train crews know the crossing signals are active. Top and bottom lights light up a stead yellow when the signals turn on. I have a photo of them lit-up somewhere...
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

codyg1985

ALDOT has plans to let the AL 255/Blake Bottom Road interchange this month. It is quite a strange setup. It will involve a two-lane bridge over the frontage roads and the mainline, with a trumpet-like set of ramps on the east side of AL 255. There are no direct connections to mainline AL 255, but part of the work will involve constructing a new slip ramp from the SB Frontage Road to SB AL 255 just north of where current Blake Bottom Road intersects with the Frontage Road.

The plans can be found here.
Cody Goodman

jdb1234

Makes me wonder why did they cut off Blake Bottom Road when the interchange at AL 53 was built.

codyg1985

Quote from: jdb1234 on August 11, 2017, 10:53:40 AM
Makes me wonder why did they cut off Blake Bottom Road when the interchange at AL 53 was built.

I am guessing it was due to cost and because a design had not yet been done on a separate interchange.
Cody Goodman

bigdave

Quote from: codyg1985 on August 11, 2017, 12:14:49 PM
Quote from: jdb1234 on August 11, 2017, 10:53:40 AM

I am guessing it was due to cost and because a design had not yet been done on a separate interchange.

I think county residents claimed at the time that the overpasses stopped at the Huntsville city limits. And I think that is true.

freebrickproductions

Construction on The Parkway is a year ahead of schedule!
http://whnt.com/2017/11/17/an-end-in-sight-for-the-south-parkway-construction-project/
HUNTSVILLE, Ala. -- The construction project on South Parkway has been going on for nearly two years. It is now expected to be finished a year ahead of schedule.

Construction crews poured concrete on the southbound bridge deck of the overpass at Logan Drive and Lily Flagg Road, marking phase two of the $53.9 million project.

Construction began in December, 2015. Phase one, the Martin Road Project, was completed in August, nearly four months ahead of schedule. Phase two is the construction of the overpasses.

Seth Burkett, the spokesperson for the Alabama Department of Transportation, said this phase is also ahead of schedule and the project is expected to be completed sometime this summer.

Burkett said the early finish is because they learned from past projects. He said having the overpasses and service roads constructed as separate projects can create delays. "We decided to tie both projects together, which drastically reduced the amount of time going from one phase of the project to the other and has eliminated a lot of the delay that motorists would see," Burkett said.

Contractors have already received $2.5 million in incentives for finishing phase one ahead of schedule and will make another $2.5 million if they complete phase two early as well.

More than 70,000 vehicles travel on the Parkway every day. The construction project will create about twelve miles of continuous expressway, improving traffic flow through the area.

(They/Them)

formulanone

I can't believe there's only two through lanes per direction on the Parkway under the new Martin Road interchange. No room for expansion.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: formulanone on November 18, 2017, 05:41:23 PM
I can’t believe there’s only two through lanes per direction on the Parkway under the new Martin Road interchange. No room for expansion.
IIRC, there were ROW issues that they had to compensate for when building the new interchange, which might've factored into the number of lanes underneath Martin Road. It also looks like three could be squeezed into there, but it'd be a very tight fit.

(They/Them)

formulanone

Quote from: freebrickproductions on November 18, 2017, 08:07:13 PM
I can’t believe there’s only two through lanes per direction on the Parkway under the new Martin Road interchange. No room for expansion.
IIRC, there were ROW issues that they had to compensate for when building the new interchange, which might've factored into the number of lanes underneath Martin Road. It also looks like three could be squeezed into there, but it'd be a very tight fit.

I reckon it would look like this, if Memorial Parkway was three lanes wide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY7vA_OuF2o

codyg1985

I can't believe there's only two through lanes per direction on the Parkway under the new Martin Road interchange. No room for expansion.

I think it is a mistake, honestly. The entire parkway should have at least three main lanes in each direction. Of course, that would have taken more ROW. The part between Airport and University needs widening big time.
Cody Goodman

freebrickproductions

Quote from: codyg1985 on November 21, 2017, 09:16:51 AM

I think it is a mistake, honestly. The entire parkway should have at least three main lanes in each direction. Of course, that would have taken more ROW. The part between Airport and University needs widening big time.
The interchange with I-565 could be redesigned as well to allow for better traffic flow onto it from the Parkway. The loop ramps (as much fun as they are to go around) do tend to cause back-ups, I've noticed. Especially in the morning rush-hour.

(They/Them)

formulanone

I have some questions about Alabama State Route 20's path. I've always been curious about this route, as traces of it seem to be all over town.

From squinting at some old maps, I'm trying to figure out AL 20's path from Huntsville towards Decatur. What I can piece together is that it was a circuitous bit of stair-stepping:

• West on Old Madison Pike
  • South on Hughes Road
  • West on Mill Road
  • South on Church Street
  • Right (west) on Main Street for a little stretch...

But did it go north or south on Sullivan Street (?)

I can't tell if it was then routed on Mill Road (closest to Main Street), Palmer Road, or Madison Boulevard.

What I do know is that it must have been routed for a bit onto County Line Road, so it could "get" to Old Highway 20, went left onto Mooresville Road, south towards Belle Mina, swung down through Mooresville, and onto Decatur using the old alignment left by the 65/565 complex (rejoining present-day AL 20).

For that matter, where did AL 20 join up though downtown Huntsville? I'm a bit confused, but I'm guessing it probably joined Whitesburg Drive at some point.

Thanks for any help on this.

NE2

http://alabamamaps.ua.edu/historicalmaps/
By 1937, SR 20 used Mill all the way to County Line. The east end is Bob Wallace-Triana-Clinton, initially shown ending at the city limits.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

formulanone

Quote from: NE2 on December 05, 2017, 08:26:04 PM
http://alabamamaps.ua.edu/historicalmaps/
By 1937, SR 20 used Mill all the way to County Line. The east end is Bob Wallace-Triana-Clinton, initially shown ending at the city limits.

:clap: Thanks! I missed that little circled 20 at the west end of the '37 map, and saw two separate 20s on the '38 map.

It looks like it later winded along the railroad in Madison, if the 1948 map is correct (and the thicker dashed-line denotes the route), but then moved again according to the 1959 map.

freebrickproductions

Apparently, ALDOT currently doesn't have any plans to widen I-565 until 2043(!) for the portion between Exits 3 and 7, and 2046(!) for the portion between I-65 and Exit 3, based on ALDOT records (though the current Governor's office claims that those records based on 2016 funding projections, and they'll see about getting them updated and the dates for the work updated, apparently):
http://whnt.com/2018/05/09/widening-of-i-565-now-an-issue-in-alabama-governors-race-but-state-dot-records-say-help-is-a-long-way-off/
Quote from: WHNT
Widening of I-565 now an issue in Alabama governor's race, but state DOT records say help is a long way off
POSTED 5:52 PM, MAY 9, 2018, BY BRIAN LAWSON, UPDATED AT 07:38PM, MAY 9, 2018

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. -- Frustrated commuters who regularly drive in heavy traffic on I-565 may be relieved to hear those traffic problems are now an issue in the Alabama governor's race.

But Alabama Department of Transportation records — so far — suggest it could be a long time before any relief is delivered.

The timing will grow in importance since the Toyota-Mazda plant will be located off I-565. That means some 4,000 workers will be added to the traffic flow in the coming years.

Gov. Kay Ivey told a Huntsville luncheon audience in early April she was aware that I-565 needed to be widened.

"Improving your commute on I-565 is important and it is a priority for this governor and I will see it through, you have my commitment on that,"  she said.

The Alabama 2018 primary elections are June 5 and a statewide poll from April showed Ivey with a solid lead over second-place challenger Huntsville Mayor Tommy Battle.

Battle cited the need to widen I-565 during a ribbon cutting event at the GE Aviation facility Wednesday, calling out to Alabama Sen. Arthur Orr, R-Decatur, that he'd work with Orr to improve conditions on I-565. He also expressed sympathy for GE workers who have to deal with the daily commute.

"Arthur — 565 is going to be a key for us — we're going to have to take care of 565,"  Battle said.

Ivey was sitting right behind him.

She went back to the mike immediately after Battle — even though she'd delivered her prepared remarks before him. She recalled her pledge at the Huntsville luncheon last month and said work on an interchange for Greenbrier Road was currently being bid.

"I-565 is a high priority,"  the governor said.

Ivey was asked about taking back the mike and said she wanted to "clear the air,"  because she'd made the announcement that I-565 was a "high priority"  for her.

But Alabama Department of Transportation planning records located by WHNT News 19 don't reflect that priority, at least not at this point.

Current planning for widening I-565 has construction dates far into the future: Including 2043 for adding lanes from Greenbrier Road to the Madison County line;  2046 for adding lanes east of I-65 to Greenbrier Road, and 2050 for adding east and westbound lanes from the Madison County line to east of Wall-Triana Highway.

We asked the governor how that schedule fits into the talk of priorities.

"It means we're going to do it as fast as we can, but it's a big project and you've got to plan well,"  Ivey said. "And 565 will be addressed, in a timely fashion, and you have to plan to make monies available, because there's not a bucket of money just sitting there."

The Governor's Office also said the Alabama DOT project planning list WHNT found online reflects DOT priorities based on 2016 funding projections. They said today they expect the DOT to update that list and the I-565 target dates.

Here's the statement from Ivey's office.

"Even before the Toyota-Mazda announcement, ALDOT expressed the understanding that these projects would have to move forward sooner than what is reflected in the schedule. The schedule available online is based on 2016 ability to fund projects.

"This does not mean that ALDOT is not looking for ways to move those projects forward sooner. ALDOT is looking at any and all options to improve capacity on I-565 within their funding capability and are working toward our goal of starting a project to improve the Greenbrier interchange, a critical point along this corridor and a nexus for the developing area, in late summer or early fall."

But for now, there is no new timetable for work on I-565 and until the money can be found, the traffic problems are expected to grow.

(They/Them)

bigdave

Hey no worries, it should still be done a couple of years before the last stretches of Birmingham's $5 billion (yes that's $5 billion) I-422 Northern beltline (road from nowhere to nowhere through nowhere) opens.  :poke:

North Alabama really should secede and annex into Tennessee.  :bigass:

Quote from: freebrickproductions on May 10, 2018, 02:05:16 AM
Apparently, ALDOT currently doesn't have any plans to widen I-565 until 2043(!) for the portion between Exits 3 and 7, and 2046(!) for the portion between I-65 and Exit 3, based on ALDOT records (though the current Governor's office claims that those records based on 2016 funding projections, and they'll see about getting them updated and the dates for the work updated, apparently):
http://whnt.com/2018/05/09/widening-of-i-565-now-an-issue-in-alabama-governors-race-but-state-dot-records-say-help-is-a-long-way-off/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.