Potential dates for a DC or Hampton Roads meet

Started by froggie, December 13, 2013, 08:18:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which dates are your preference for a Hampton Roads or DC meet?

Somewhere between 1/18 and 2/1 (pls specify in comments)
0 (0%)
08 February
3 (20%)
01 March
2 (13.3%)
08 March
4 (26.7%)
15 March
6 (40%)
22 March
7 (46.7%)
29 March
3 (20%)
19 April
8 (53.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

froggie

Since time's starting to run out and there are other meets in the pipeline during this timeframe, I'm looking at trying to narrow down which weekends to do a Hampton Roads and/or a DC-area meet.  I apologize to those who are looking at March meets (I know JPI is looking at 3/29 for Nashville), but March is the only month before I leave the Navy where I have all the weekends available.  The latest I can reasonably expect to be in the area and do a meet is April 19th.  The weekends missing from the poll are ones where I have prior commitments.  If you have any comments or suggestions, please share.

If time and interest allows, I'll try to do both a DC meet and a Hampton Roads meet.  If not, I'll be focusing on Hampton Roads.

Takumi

I'm picking February 8th because it's the day after my birthday and I plan to have the weekend off anyway.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

1995hoo

I would suggest you cross off that April 19 date you noted as an outside possibility because that's Easter weekend in 2014.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Selected March 15 and 22, as well as the April date, because the days are longer and there's more daylight, especially since DST starts March 9.

No guarantees that I can attend, but those are my preferences for any meet, either Hampton Roads (which is my preference) or DC. DC's closer, and is something I could reasonably do with only missing a half-day of work on Friday, but Hampton Roads holds more interest for me.

EDIT: No option to change the vote that I see, but I'd prefer to rescind my March 22 vote if possible because that's the weekend before Jason's Nashville meet date preference.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

Hoo:  understand that the 20th is Easter Sunday, but that hasn't stopped people from voting for the 19th...in fact, it's the top vote-getter thus far with HB's retraction of the 22nd.  So I'm leaving it in.

HB:  not seeing an edit option to retract votes, but I'll keep your retraction in mind.

oscar

I'm voting for 2/8, 3/29, and 4/19 as the dates least likely to conflict with the St. Louis meet, around which I might wrap a multi-week road trip to southern New Mexico and back. 

Plus, the weather on 4/19 might let me wear my preferred road-meet attire of T-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops. :)
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

1995hoo

Quote from: froggie on December 13, 2013, 11:33:41 AM
Hoo:  understand that the 20th is Easter Sunday, but that hasn't stopped people from voting for the 19th...in fact, it's the top vote-getter thus far with HB's retraction of the 22nd.  So I'm leaving it in.

HB:  not seeing an edit option to retract votes, but I'll keep your retraction in mind.

Ah, see, I was viewing this on Tapatalk earlier and I did not realize there was a poll up there because Tapatalk doesn't show the polls. If I'd seen the tally I would not have made that comment.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

I don't see an option to allow voters to change their votes, either. I thought there was one, but I didn't see it when I checked a poll I created.

As I've said before -- don't let the possibility of an out-of-state (or out-of-area) participant attending or not weigh your decision. In addition, there's no certainty I can attend anything in 2014 at this point, unless a ton of money falls out of the sky and lands at my house.

Duke87

Easter weekend is a no for me because I will have family commitments. Otherwise no date on your list is better or worse than any other.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Laura

Quote from: hbelkins on December 13, 2013, 02:05:50 PM

I don't see an option to allow voters to change their votes, either. I thought there was one, but I didn't see it when I checked a poll I created.

As I've said before -- don't let the possibility of an out-of-state (or out-of-area) participant attending or not weigh your decision. In addition, there's no certainty I can attend anything in 2014 at this point, unless a ton of money falls out of the sky and lands at my house.

I claim HB's March 22nd vote, so now the poll is accurate. I also voted for 2/8 and 3/1.

I left 3/8 and 3/15 open because Mike and I are seriously considering St. Louis, and the date for that is between those two. I also left 3/29 and 4/19 due to family commitments.

If there's interest from the group and the date works out in my favor (the world does not revolve around me, of course!), I'd still happy to do a Delmarva meet on the Sunday after either of your meets, but I won't worry about that until your date(s) is/are set in stone.

Alps

Quote from: Laura Bianca on December 15, 2013, 02:55:25 PMthe world does not revolve around me, of course!
You know, when most people arrive at meets, they just sorta join into the conversations. When you arrive at a meet, we all stop and run over and hug you. So I don't know about your statement.

Roadgeek Adam

I haven't voted, but since I have no clue what the family situation is, I would go March 15 or 22 and I now have no intent for a meet on March 22.

If I can pass my road test in February, I'd be up for the meet.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

brianreynolds

For me, Easter weekend is out for family reasons.   Other weekends in March are equally good/bad.

I personally would prefer April for the longer daylight hours, but I will probably be in Texas then.

jpi

I voted April 19 since this would easily t in to my Steel City Con toy convention the weekend before in Pittsburgh, otherwise I am out.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Laura

Quote from: Steve on December 15, 2013, 03:07:01 PM
Quote from: Laura Bianca on December 15, 2013, 02:55:25 PMthe world does not revolve around me, of course!
You know, when most people arrive at meets, they just sorta join into the conversations. When you arrive at a meet, we all stop and run over and hug you. So I don't know about your statement.

This comment has made my day :)

froggie

QuoteYou know, when most people arrive at meets, they just sorta join into the conversations. When you arrive at a meet, we all stop and run over and hug you. So I don't know about your statement.

Unless she runs over to hug us.  :cool:

------

The voting so far clearly favors three potential dates:  3/15, 3/22, and 4/19.  Right now, I'm leaning towards the Hampton Roads meet on 3/22 and, opportunity permitting, doing DC on 4/19.  The Norfolk Admirals (AHL) have an evening home game on the 22nd against Binghamton so I'm leaning towards that date over the 15th...should be easy to get tickets for anyone who wants to stick around for dinner and the hockey game after the meet.  I understand that this may conflict with St. Louis and it's the week before JPI's likely Nashville meet.

If DC happens on 4/19, the Nats are at home against the Cardinals that weekend, though game time has not been announced yet.  If that one is an evening game, that's another post-meet opportunity.

This isn't set in stone...if worse comes to worse, DC will be cancelled and I'll do Norfolk on 4/19.  I'm also open to suggestions if anyone has any, and will leave voting open for those who haven't voted yet.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on December 17, 2013, 08:28:22 AM
QuoteYou know, when most people arrive at meets, they just sorta join into the conversations. When you arrive at a meet, we all stop and run over and hug you. So I don't know about your statement.

That's what I was thinking.  :-D

WillWeaverRVA

I can't do March 15th as I'll be in Brooklyn (I'm not home so I can't vote in the poll). I'd be a maybe for any others.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Laura

Quote from: hbelkins on December 17, 2013, 10:27:30 AM
Quote from: froggie on December 17, 2013, 08:28:22 AM

That's what I was thinking.  :-D

Hahahaha. I think the reaction is broken into two groups:

-The people like Steve who stop and run over and hug me
-The people like HB and Froggie who wait for me to come over and hug them

Either way, there are hugs for all.

Takumi

It looks like I can do both the 22nd and the 19th.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.