News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

FADED Beyond Recognition

Started by architect77, November 01, 2014, 09:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gnutella

Last I saw, Kentucky has several faded brown signs on I-24. They're gradually turning green.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Gnutella on March 15, 2015, 04:34:44 AM
Last I saw, Kentucky has several faded brown signs on I-24. They're gradually turning green.

Copper?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

hbelkins

For some reason, quite a few of the big brown guide signs on Kentucky interstates are fading. I've noticed the newer signs are a darker shade of brown than those older ones originally were.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vtk

Quote from: 1 on March 15, 2015, 10:18:32 AM
Quote from: Gnutella on March 15, 2015, 04:34:44 AM

Copper?

I too have wondered if oxidation of copper is to blame for brown signs turning green. There's a spectacular example on US 23 northbound approaching OH 309. It's uneven, but becoming quite similar in color to the Statue Of Liberty.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

texaskdog

The signs in Atlanta look just like they do in the walking dead

Pink Jazz

Quote from: vtk on March 15, 2015, 08:52:53 PM

I too have wondered if oxidation of copper is to blame for brown signs turning green. There's a spectacular example on US 23 northbound approaching OH 309. It's uneven, but becoming quite similar in color to the Statue Of Liberty.

I simply thought it is the red pigments in the mixture used to create brown fading, leaving the leftover green pigments.  After all, shades of brown can be made from mixing red and green.

Chandler, Arizona uses brown for street name signs.  While none have faded to green yet, many of them appear more faded than the green signs used in Mesa and Gilbert.

TrevorB

HTM Duke

I-395 northbound prior to the exit for VA-7/King St, this BBS has seen better days: https://goo.gl/maps/ScCCX
List of routes: Traveled | Clinched

Eth

Quote from: Eth on November 03, 2014, 10:09:53 PM
Combining the two topics of Atlanta and faded brown signs, there's this (over at the right).

Bonus: you can see where the sign originally said "EXIT 28" instead of "EXIT 60", one of the very few remaining visible indications of the pre-2000 Interstate exit numbers.

UPDATE: I drove through here last week and found that this sign has been replaced.

Bruce

Here's a "stop sign ahead" sign on Mercer Island, WA, with some I-90 shields that are barely readable:

Faded signs in Mercer Island by SounderBruce, on Flickr

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

freebrickproductions

Found this guy in Bessemer, AL:
IMG_3135 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Not sure if this guy counts because you can still make out what it says due to it being embossed, but it's still completely faded:
Old Street Signs by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

thefraze_1020

Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

peterj920

Sign was posted in 2008.  There must have been a major defect in the signs posted associated with the Wis 57 project in Door County because many of the County DK and Wis 57 signs are extremely faded like this.  WISDOT has replaced most of the signs along Wis 57.  County DK was formerly Wis 57, and WISDOT posted this sign before the road was turned over to Door County so they are now responsible for replacing the faded County DK signs. 

PHLBOS

The I-shields on these BGS' are literally screaming for replacements.

Yes, I'm aware that full-blown sign replacements are coming in the foreseeable future; but still.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 19, 2016, 10:58:02 AM

Yes, I'm aware that full-blown sign replacements are coming in the foreseeable future; but still.

Presumably, District 3 was supposed to replace those shields back in late 2014 - I've got a call into my District contact to see whether the work was actually done.   BTW, for some reason, those particular signs were retained under the Pike signing contracts done in 1995-1996.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

bob7374

Quote from: roadman on August 19, 2016, 11:16:31 AM

Presumably, District 3 was supposed to replace those shields back in late 2014 - I've got a call into my District contact to see whether the work was actually done.   BTW, for some reason, those particular signs were retained under the Pike signing contracts were done in 1995-1996.
I know they were still up when I drove by them in the spring of 2015, and I believe they were still up when I drove by going the other way this May.

busman_49

Columbus, Ohio.  This MAY be gone now, as the signals have been removed by this point.
08mooberrychampioncolnb_201306 by Ryan busman_49, on Flickr

PHLBOS

Quote from: bob7374 on August 19, 2016, 11:24:22 AM
Quote from: roadman on August 19, 2016, 11:16:31 AM

Presumably, District 3 was supposed to replace those shields back in late 2014 - I've got a call into my District contact to see whether the work was actually done.   BTW, for some reason, those particular signs were retained under the Pike signing contracts were done in 1995-1996.
I know they were still up when I drove by them in the spring of 2015, and I believe they were still up when I drove by going the other way this May.
As of this past weekend, those faded I-shields are still there.

IIRC, those signs were erected just a year or two prior to the 1995-96 Pike sign replacement project; which is probably why they weren't touched during the later project.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

SidS1045

Ironic that the pilgrim's hat logo...the one MassDOT is trying to phase out...looks as fresh as the day the sign was erected.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

epzik8

The Baltimore city portion of the Baltimore-Washington Parkway (Maryland Route 295) is maintained by the city itself. No upgrades have been performed on that segment, from the I-95 Russell Street interchange to the city-county line, since probably before the year 1960. The result is the presence of extremely old button copy signs. These signs are true relics. However, some of them are very faded:

The Maryland Route 648 marker on this sign is so old and faded that even I can never tell what it is at first glance.

I don't know what used to be on this sign.

The "648" on the Annapolis Road sign in this one is all but gone.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

epzik8

I've got more Baltimore ones. These are along I-83 north in downtown.

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

bzakharin

Mr. Matté

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2420512,-74.5814095,3a,59.7y,314.54h,89.71t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sdjS2QOGWXuMvWMBp0fgieg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

You can use the slider to see how the cyan in the shield faded from 2008 to 2016 (note the shield used to be on a speed limit sign further back prior to 2011). Luckily, nobody uses 6xx CRs for navigation in Jersey (except me, but I've biked this road a billion times so I don't need it here).

2017 edit: Sign has since been replaced by the typical ugly new Mercer County route shield with the words being yuge and the reflective sheeting obviously pasted over another old CR shield

vtk

Quote from: busman_49 on August 19, 2016, 01:18:14 PM
Columbus, Ohio.  This MAY be gone now, as the signals have been removed by this point.
08mooberrychampioncolnb_201306 by Ryan busman_49, on Flickr

Where?  Oh, Mooberry & Champion, I see it in the filename now.

Did anyone (besides a GSV car) ever get a good photo of this before it got replaced?
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5732673,-83.0740453,3a,15y,25.76h,88.76t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sF_rhuUsWub18os5fIau1iA!2e0!5s20150901T000000!7i13312!8i6656
(US 23 NB, approaching OH 95 exit, Marion; street view 2015 Sep has old, faded sign; street view 2016 Jan has new sign)
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.