News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Names other than the actual one for a business you have worked for or patronize

Started by roadman65, December 05, 2015, 08:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wxfree

One of my favorites is the Fort Worth Star-Telegram newspaper being referred to as the Startle Gram.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Alps on December 06, 2015, 12:50:39 AM
North NJ common ones:
OHOP = Original Pancake House
The Roach = Golden Touch Diner (since replaced, will always be the Roach though)

Speaking of North Jersey, I love The Fireplace to death, but after some wiseacre bent back the end of the little green sign pointing to it off the Route 17 Oradell Ave. ramp, making it say

REPLACE
<-----

it was "The Replace" to me for many years after.

hbelkins

We have two liberal rags for major daily newspapers in Kentucky.

I've been known to call the Lexington Herald-Leader the Herald-Misleader, the Geraldo-Leader and the Herald-Liberal.

The Louisville Courier Journal, to me, is the Curious Urinal.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

I remember referring to White Castle as "White Rats" as to the humor we gave their meat. 

Many of us used to say that they got their beef from actual rats, even though we loved them.  It was "indigestion that we all loved to have just for the great taste" many of us would be comedic about as well.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Pete from Boston

Quote from: hbelkins on December 06, 2015, 10:30:49 PM
We have two liberal rags for major daily newspapers in Kentucky.

I've been known to call the Lexington Herald-Leader the Herald-Misleader, the Geraldo-Leader and the Herald-Liberal.

The Louisville Courier Journal, to me, is the Curious Urinal.

Our big-business-championing local bootwiper is often affectionately (or not) referred to as the Glob. 

roadman

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

bandit957

Might as well face it, pooing is cool

roadman65

I have heard the name "New York Slimes" instead of NY Times being that their stuff they publish has gotten to absurd.

In Orlando I refer to Chanel 9 Eyewitness News as "Crimewitness News" because most of their stories involve reporting metro area crimes whether its the local 7 Eleven getting robbed or some domestic dispute.  Compared to the other news agencies in Central Florida, who report less crime stories and more other news stories without the really sad news, Bob Opshal and his team always stay on top of the bad more.

Sheryl Crowe

Brandon

Quote from: wxfree on December 06, 2015, 11:45:35 AM
One of my favorites is the Fort Worth Star-Telegram newspaper being referred to as the Startle Gram.

Newspapers get this a lot.

Houghton, MI's one is the Daily Mining Gazette, commonly referred to as the Daily Whining Gizitte.
Marquette, MI has the Daily Mining Journal, referred to as the Daily Whining Urinal.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Jardine

Omaha World Herald =  Omaha Weird Harold (or Herald)

Council Bluffs Nonpareil = Council Bluffs Non-Parallel

Lincoln Journal Star = Lincoln Urinal Star

briantroutman

Quote from: roadman65 on December 07, 2015, 12:41:25 PM
I have heard the name "New York Slimes" instead of NY Times being that their stuff they publish has gotten to absurd.

After he was fired, Joe Bob Briggs would often go on tirades about his former employer, the Dallas Slimes-Herald.

hbelkins

New York Slimes, Washington Compost -- those of us on the right side of the aisle have a lot of names for the liberal rags we have to read to find out what the other side is up to.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

tchafe1978

Quote from: DaBigE on December 05, 2015, 11:22:22 PM
Picket and Slave (Pick 'n Save)
My nards smell (Menards)
Expect more, find less or Save more by finding less (twist on Target's "Expect more, spend less" slogan)

I worked at Pick 'n Save in high school, we called it Pick 'n Slave, not Picket. never thought of that. Clever.
Another now defunct grocery store I worked at called SuperSaver, we called SuperSlaver (sense a theme here?).
Walmart is called Wally World or Wal-fart. The employees are called Walmartians.
My brother worked at Burger King, he called it Booger Fling.
I worked at Menards too, but never had a name for it. My dad liked to pronounce it MAY-nerds.

I've heard Pizza Hut called Pizza Slut.

GaryV

When the Detroit News and the Free Press combined business operations and brought out a combined Sunday edition, I called it the Detroit News-free Press.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

noelbotevera

renegade

Quote from: GaryV on December 07, 2015, 06:12:45 PM
When the Detroit News and the Free Press combined business operations and brought out a combined Sunday edition, I called it the Detroit News-free Press.

I called it the Detroit Free News Press.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

DandyDan

Quote from: tchafe1978 on December 07, 2015, 04:51:22 PM
I worked at Pick 'n Save in high school, we called it Pick 'n Slave, not Picket. never thought of that. Clever.
Another now defunct grocery store I worked at called SuperSaver, we called SuperSlaver (sense a theme here?).
Walmart is called Wally World or Wal-fart. The employees are called Walmartians.
My brother worked at Burger King, he called it Booger Fling.
I worked at Menards too, but never had a name for it. My dad liked to pronounce it MAY-nerds.

I've heard Pizza Hut called Pizza Slut.
Along those lines, here in Omaha, there is a grocery store called Bag'n'Save, which my coworker, who used to work there, called Bag'n'Slave.  They also have Baker's grocery store, which gets called Faker's. 

Going way back, the small town my grandparent's lived in in Minnesota had a Clover Farm grocery store, but after the C went missing, my brother and I always referred to it as the Lover Farm.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

roadman65

The Washington Redskins also known as "The Deadskins." 

My friend used to call the Winnipeg Jets NHL team "Lose-A-Peg" when they were not doing so well in season.

Then there is the "Aints" for the New Orleans Saints.
The "Yucks' for Tampa Bay Bucs.

Sheryl Crowe

CNGL-Leudimin

I like to call certain social network Fakebook.

I'm sure satyrical misspellings occur around the world. It won't be the first time I hear the Spanish network Telecinco being referred to as Telecirco ('Circo' means circus, so it's not hard to figure how it is :sombrero:)
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Brandon

Quote from: US71 on December 08, 2015, 09:19:20 AM
FAUX News

And PMSNBC.

Then there's...

The Hitler Channel for The History Channel when they first started.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: roadman65 on December 08, 2015, 05:31:13 AM

My friend used to call the Winnipeg Jets NHL team "Lose-A-Peg" when they were not doing so well in season.

Adding some teams that I love or hate to this list that I use when I get mad or to make fun of:

The Bustin Red Sux
The New York Yankmees/Spankmees
The New England Patsies
The Buston Ruins
The Hartford Failers (old school)
The Bustin Suckits
UFraud Suckies
Puke Blue Devils
Dallas Cowgirls/Cowpokes

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

bandit957

Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Pete from Boston

Quote from: roadman65 on December 08, 2015, 05:31:13 AM

There was a time a couple of decades ago when the Denver Nuggets were going full bore on offense and playing incredibly high scoring games, during which time I heard them called "Enver"–no D!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.