Names other than the actual one for a business you have worked for or patronize

Started by roadman65, December 05, 2015, 08:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

San Jose, Calif's paper the Mercury News is called the Murky News.
The Seattle Times is the Seattle Crimes because most of their "news" comes straight from police reports.
Jack in the Box => Gag in the Bag

DaBigE

Quote from: US71 on December 08, 2015, 09:19:20 AM
FAUX News

Since we're going down that road...

CBS = See B S

NBC = Nothing But Crap

ABC = Always Broadcasting Crap
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

US 41

Quote from: roadman65 on December 05, 2015, 08:34:01 PM

Then one user on here who does not like Golden Corral calls it "Olden Corral."

I've always referred to the Golden Corral as "The Chum Bucket." I think the Golden Corral is disgusting. My grandparents always wanted to eat there, until I talked them into eating at Bob Evans.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

roadman

Quote from: DaBigE on December 08, 2015, 01:39:46 PM
Quote from: US71 on December 08, 2015, 09:19:20 AM
FAUX News

Since we're going down that road...

CBS = See B S

NBC = Nothing But Crap

ABC = Always Broadcasting Crap

UPN - Utterly Pathetic Network
WB - Why Bother

both of which merged to become

CW - Completely Worthless
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

GaryV

Detroit teams when they're not doing well:  The Dead Things (hockey) and the Dyin's (football).  Nothing comes to mind for the Tigers, except sometimes I've heard the Pussy Cats.  I can just imagine what they might call the Pistons.

Brandon

Quote from: GaryV on December 08, 2015, 04:52:58 PM
Detroit teams when they're not doing well:  The Dead Things (hockey) and the Dyin's (football).  Nothing comes to mind for the Tigers, except sometimes I've heard the Pussy Cats.  I can just imagine what they might call the Pistons.

Well, there are the Whining Weasels of Arrogant Asshole, sometimes known as skunk-bears or wolverines.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

SSOWorld

Burger King - mis-pronounced as Booger-King
Pizza Hut - Pizza Slut or Pizza Whore
Best Buy? no, worst buy
Menards? Mean-ards - They be so mean having you go to the opposite side of the parking lot to get back to your car.
Country Kitchen? Bitchin' Kitchen
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Big John

Ian

A few I've heard (and sometimes use) up at school...

McDonald's = McDick's or McDank's
Aroma Joe's (regional coffee shop chain) = Aroma Hoe's
Tim Horton's = Timmy Ho or Timmy HoHo's
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

empirestate

Are there none of these that aren't pejorative?

What about places that have actually trademarked their nicknames, as I believe McDonald's has with "Mickey D's"? Did they invent that name, or just appropriate it?

iPhone

Pete from Boston

Quote from: empirestate on December 08, 2015, 06:18:54 PM
Are there none of these that aren't pejorative?

What about places that have actually trademarked their nicknames, as I believe McDonald's has with "Mickey D's"? Did they invent that name, or just appropriate it?

Pejorative was basically asked for in the OP's final paragraph.

golden eagle

We used to have an old grocery store chain called Sack N Save. People I knew who worked there called it Sack N Slave.

I refer to Comcast as Dumbcast.

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Big John

kkt

noelbotevera

Giant: Little
Walmart: Bawlmart
Dish: Fish
McDonalds: McWhoever-Goes-To-This-Place-Is-An-Idiot
Burger King: Turder Kin

CNGL-Leudimin

About sports teams, I've referred to Athletic de Bilbao and Atlético de Madrid as Pathetic de Bilbao and Patético de Madrid respectively. And since today they are playing each other, I call that match 'The most pathetic [association] football match of Spain'. It's not the first time I make a parody of an association football match, as last month during the Clásico Real Madrid FC became Rosales FC while FC Barcelona became FC Rivas (Which ironically I placed in the Southeast suburbs of Madrid).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

golden eagle

The local newspaper, the Clarion-Ledger, is often referred to as the Clarion-Liar. I've even heard conservatives call it the Clarion-Liberal.

roadman65

I used to like when Rush Limbaugh called CNN the Clinton News Network back when Bill was Commander In Chief.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

hbelkins

Speaking of sports teams, the Bengals = the Bungles.

I call the North Carolina Tar Heels the Tar Holes. And Marshall, a former Ohio Valley Conference rival of my alma mater, is the Blundering Turd instead of Thundering Herd. Back in the old SWC days, some Arkansas fans called Texas the Shorthorns.

And Duke is Dook, or Puke.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

I like to call the NY Yankees the Stankees as I am a die hard Met fan.

I know some Yankees fans like to say that the Mets deserve to play in Flushing!

Ah the friendly NY baseball team rivalry!  We had so much fun and probably New Yorkers still have such fun.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kurumi

Sentosa: So Expensive, Nothing To See Also. (But that was more than 10 years ago)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

empirestate

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.