Names other than the actual one for a business you have worked for or patronize

Started by roadman65, December 05, 2015, 08:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

When I was 16, there were pretty much only 2 places in the area you could work:  Burger King or McDonalds.   Back then you only had to say if you worked for "the King" or "the Clown".  I worked for the latter -- the real clown was the manager!

Darkchylde

My grandmother for the longest time called Burger King "Lottaburger."

vtk

Quote from: Zeffy on March 04, 2016, 09:34:07 PM
Quote from: kkt on March 03, 2016, 11:31:06 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on March 03, 2016, 10:57:35 PM
Capital One = Crapital None (thanks to how I was treated applying for a basic ass credit card)

They were doing you a favor.  They don't treat their longtime customers any better than applicants no credit history.

Which is unfortunate, because the reviews for almost all of their credit cards were at least 4 1/4 stars or higher... I went to US Bank instead and they accommodated me nicely.

If you can get a credit card from a local credit union, you'll get a much better APR.

Trying to bring this back on topic, but I don't think I ever came up with nicknames for my credit union's current or former name, nor the big banks I've dealt with... oh wait, I do have something.  When PNC acquired National City Bank, which had a large presence here, the local news mentioned PNC is based in Pittsburgh. So naturally, in my head PNC stands for Pittsburgh National City.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

bmorrill

Back in the 80s, NCNB (the bank) became known as No Cash for NoBody because of their lending practices

bmorrill

There was a muffler shop for many years here in town owned by a man named Marvin Philips, widely referred to as "Starvin' Marvin's".

bmorrill

Quote from: Brian556 on December 06, 2015, 10:14:24 AM
Taco Bell: Toxic Hell, Taco Smell

In the late 70s a Taco Bueno was built next to the dealership I worked at. The smell when they started cooking early in the morning was, to say the least, stomach-turning. We called it the Chihuahua-Burger and Guacamole-on-a-stick stand, and claimed that all the stray cats and dogs in the neighborhood had suddenly disappeared. :sombrero:

Didn't last long.Became a bicycle shop for a while and is now a Chinese restaurant. Same joke applies.

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on March 01, 2016, 04:01:18 PM
Ford -- F'ing Old Rebuilt Dodge.

My first car back in high school was a '77 Ford Granada. I told people I drove a Rolls. A Rolls Canardly.

Rolls down one hill and can 'ardly make up the next.

The restaurant discussion reminds me of a place that used to be on 12 Street NW in DC, the Golden Restaurant. It was the stereotypical Chinese restaurant with broken English (the menu said "WE DELIVERY" on the front) and the place was an absolute dump, ceiling ready to cave in from caked-on grease and the like. Everyone at the place where I worked back then called it the Golden Rat.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

briantroutman

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 28, 2016, 07:38:27 PM
'77 Ford Granada.

I wasn't alive at the time, but looking back, I'm stunned at how many imbecilic ads Ford ran trying to compare the Granada to the Mercedes-Benz 280. Did they actually think people were that dense? Other than being a similar size and color, the two look nothing alike.

This was just one of many.

bmorrill

Quote from: hbelkins on March 01, 2016, 04:01:18 PM
Ford -- F'ing Old Rebuilt Dodge.

Poor Old N.....r, Thinks It's A Cadillac for Pontiac? :rolleyes:

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

PHLBOS

Quote from: briantroutman on March 28, 2016, 10:01:42 PM
'77 Ford Granada.

I wasn't alive at the time, but looking back, I'm stunned at how many imbecilic ads Ford ran trying to compare the Granada to the Mercedes-Benz 280. Did they actually think people were that dense? Other than being a similar size and color, the two look nothing alike.

That's actually a '78 Granada advertisement not a '76 (per the YouTube caption).  The Granadas through '77 had single round headlights.

Here's a '76 Granada:

The rear deck changed a tad for '78 as well; here's a shot of the '76s ('75-'77 were identical) rear deck:

The earlier models ('75-'77) had more similar styling ques copied off a Mercedes than the later models ('78-'80).  You may find it hard to believe but those first-generation Granadas were a sales success for Ford.  It offered features & options, back then, that were only offered on larger vehicles.  Plus, the boxy roof line allowed for a roomy (for its size) cabin.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

ftballfan

Quote from: Brandon on December 06, 2015, 08:02:17 AM
Jewel (as in Jewel-Osco): Joke.
Speedway: Greedway.
I also call Speedway Greedway, as they set gas prices around here.

Here goes:
Bungalow (very popular hometown restaurant): Bunghole
KMart: KFart
Western Michigan University: Wastern
Michigan State University: Little Brother
KFC: Chicken House
Comcast: Comcrap

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ftballfan on May 18, 2016, 09:47:30 PM
Quote from: Brandon on December 06, 2015, 08:02:17 AM
Jewel (as in Jewel-Osco): Joke.
Speedway: Greedway.
I also call Speedway Greedway, as they set gas prices around here.

Here goes:
Bungalow (very popular hometown restaurant): Bunghole
KMart: KFart
Western Michigan University: Wastern
Michigan State University: Little Brother
KFC: Chicken House
Comcast: Comcrap

How about Moo U instead of MSU?  That was usually one of my favorite insults for Michigan State Grads back during my U of M days.

thenetwork

iHeart Radio/Media = iHate Radio -- seeing how they took once-glorified stations, guttted them of their live and local personalities and installed 200 song playlists.   Glad to see that they will be gone within the next few years due to their bankruptcy in the Billions!!!

vtk

Quote from: thenetwork on May 19, 2016, 01:09:59 AM
iHeart Radio/Media = iHate Radio -- seeing how they took once-glorified stations, guttted them of their live and local personalities and installed 200 song playlists.   Glad to see that they will be gone within the next few years due to their bankruptcy in the Billions!!!

At least their "we play anything" stations seem to have a reasonably long playlist.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

ftballfan

Quote from: thenetwork on May 19, 2016, 01:09:59 AM
Also heard iFart. However, there's one case of a station near me that iHeart could run BETTER than the current owner

sparker

When I was in college (late '60's/early '70's) the common referral for a specific fast food chain was "Jack in the Crack".  My ex also regularly referred to the same place as "Cock in the Box" (a female has a better chance of getting away with that sort of reference).  She also called Arby's fare "the meat not found in nature" -- and had a rather crude but visually appropriate term (you can sort of guess the general nature of such) for their "horsey" white horseradish sauce!

Max Rockatansky

I tend to call the Coca-Cola 600 the World 600....  Race track sponsorship be damned....figured that would fit with the Memorial Day weekend motif.

hotdogPi

I work at Stop & Shop. Here are some of the items we sell:

Expired Drinks (Kombucha and a few others; they have a tendency not to be sold in time)
Elmer Fudge (E. L. Fudge)
Lawsuit Cereal (Lucky Charms Frosted Flakes)
Fire King (Pyrex; the brand has denied this etymology)
Adobe (Adobo)
Brown Poupon (Grey Poupon)
Bush's Second Worst (Bush's Best)
Pantene and Pastene: switch the two
Shiba (Sheba)
Kit Kat and Kat Kit: switch the two
GLaD (Glad trash bags; capitalization based on GLaDOS)
LOL (Land O' Lakes; based on the bar code description)

No specific nicknames, but can be made fun of:

"Deluxe American cheese" is an oxymoron, as is "fat free half & half"
Malta India comes from neither country
Stoned Wheat Thins are Wheat Thins that get you stoned.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 30, 2016, 04:07:28 PM
Quote from: briantroutman on March 28, 2016, 10:01:42 PM
'77 Ford Granada.

I wasn’t alive at the time, but looking back, I’m stunned at how many imbecilic ads Ford ran trying to compare the Granada to the Mercedes-Benz 280. Did they actually think people were that dense? Other than being a similar size and color, the two look nothing alike.

That's actually a '78 Granada advertisement not a '76 (per the YouTube caption).  The Granadas through '77 had single round headlights.

Here's a '76 Granada:

The rear deck changed a tad for '78 as well; here's a shot of the '76s ('75-'77 were identical) rear deck:

The earlier models ('75-'77) had more similar styling ques copied off a Mercedes than the later models ('78-'80).  You may find it hard to believe but those first-generation Granadas were a sales success for Ford.  It offered features & options, back then, that were only offered on larger vehicles.  Plus, the boxy roof line allowed for a roomy (for its size) cabin.

The joke about new Ford Granadas was "How many empty Coke bottles did you find in YOUR trunk?"
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

OracleUsr

My dad used to call Burger King "Burger Doodle" and McDonalds "PicDonalds"

(my parents were trying to be vegetarian when I was growing up...emphasis on "trying")
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

ce929wax

Little Sleazers for Little Caesars, Wal-Fart for Wal-Mart, Pizza Slut for Pizza Hut. 

paulthemapguy

All the common crummy pizza chains:

Pizza Butt
Vomino's
Little Sleazer's
Poopoo John's
And the worst of them all, Cici's, has been renamed "Feces Pizza"

With that being said, I actually like Domino's lol
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now w/Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Rushmeister

Can't believe this one hasn't appeared yet...

Ticketmaster = Ticket Bastard
...and then the psychiatrist chuckled.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.