AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Names other than the actual one for a business you have worked for or patronize  (Read 42870 times)

US71

• Road Scholar , Master of Snark

• Mad man with a camera

• Last Login: Today at 01:24:37 PM
    • The Road Less Taken

I used to refer to K-mart as "Kresge's".
The "K" in Kmart stands for Kresge.  And there was a five and dime store called Kresge.

Lots of people didn't know that.

Oh yeah: there was Pizza Sinn, also
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

thenetwork

• Last Login: Today at 09:26:23 AM

In the Northern Ohio area about 20-30 years ago there were was a C-store chain called Open Pantry Food Mart, and a restaurant chain called Dutch Pantry.

We'd call the places Open Panties and Dutch Panties.

US71

• Road Scholar , Master of Snark

• Mad man with a camera

• Last Login: Today at 01:24:37 PM
    • The Road Less Taken

anyone mention Taco Hell yet?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

TheHighwayMan394

• Last Login: Today at 01:32:14 AM
    • Patrick Lilja's Minnesconsin Highways

anyone mention Taco Hell yet?

At least twice.

• Last Login: Today at 03:47:16 PM
    • Flickr account

Global, Lawrence MA: "The station on 114". It's unambiguous to our group because it is (or was, they've changed some) so much cheaper than other stations, sometimes even 30˘ cheaper. They always have a long line, though.

Similarly, this gas station (Super Petroleum) in Salem NH is "the station on 28"; also cheap, although not as much.

This restaurant in Methuen is simply "the golf course" or "the country club". Interesting note: From the road, if you look along the golf course, you can see several mountains 39-48 miles away, including Mount Monadnock. I think the City of Methuen should put permanent binoculars on the railing.

MalWart — I might have mentioned this earlier in the thread.

I think of the Elixir Hookah Lounge in Methuen as the Hookup Lounge, although I don't say this out loud. While it isn't one yet, it's probably a good location for one. As long as both sides are paying customers and the business is the only one receiving the money, it should be legal under current law. Some states would probably ban them as soon as the first one opened; Massachusetts is not one of those states. As for its location, it's isolated (some people would probably want to avoid going near it), and it's walkable and has easy bus access (not everyone in the target demographic drives a car).

I actually distinguish "Dunkin'" and "Dunkin' Donuts" by whether that location has remodeled or not.

I actually don't have a name for Chick-fil-A, even though I've boycotted it.

Showcase Cinemas in Lawrence MA (it's been closed for years) is "Future Costco", despite that being only my personal idea. (The nearest Costco is over 30 minutes away.)

Tacos Lupita (a local chain) is Tacos Lupitas, just to make the grammar correct.

Sometimes I legitimately confuse Salvatore's (one location, Lawrence MA, full restaurant) with Sal's Pizza (chain, more of a takeout place).

Not a business, but this bridge is the failing plank bridge. Some of the planks aren't quite in place, and when I saw that some were visually off about a month and a half ago, I decided to avoid that bridge entirely.

I might have mentioned this before, but this restaurant (Miller's Tavern right now) is the Defence Against the Dark Arts Restaurant. It's changed three times so far in my lifetime. (I hope that's not a spoiler.)

Hanscom Field in Bedford MA is "the military base".

Lahey Hospital is still Lahey Clinic to me, as if the name change never happened.

IHOP becomes iHop in texts.

Overnight PC and Gaming in Methuen MA is "The Magic: the Gathering store". Despite their name and external advertising, they do much more Magic than computer repair.

Cambridge College (in Lawrence MA), while not having a consistent nickname, is thought of as being fake, as it pretends to be Harvard, MIT, or Cambridge University in England while being nowhere near the prestige of any of those three in reality.

ATCK Fitness in Methuen MA is pronounced "Atsk" as if it was Cyrillic.

LA Fitness is pronounced "La Fitness" as if it was "The Fitness" in Spanish, French, or Italian. The hair product LA Looks, which was sold at Stop & Shop when I worked there, is the same.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 08:59:43 AM by 1 »
My computer is currently under repair. I am using an iPad right now.

kevinb1994

• Last Login: September 20, 2022, 05:50:39 PM

Lawrence Lexus is now part of the Haldeman family of dealerships. I still call it Lawrence Lexus.

Their sibling Toyota dealership, OTOH, is now the bland/generic Team Toyota. I guess being part of a team doesn’t hurt…I still call it La-La-La-La Lawrence Toyota. Just like that old commercial. No more deals to sling about!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 03:03:28 PM by kevinb1994 »

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.