News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I'm very stressed out about signal related stuff

Started by traffic light guy, January 04, 2018, 03:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

traffic light guy

For those of you who know the mistakes I've made in the past, It's my fault, and we're moving on. I'm just really stressed out about how a lot of my favorite setups are getting replaced, and I fear that EVERYTHING old will be gone by the time i'm an adult. I'm at the age where I can finally drive, but not yet old enough to be on my own. A lot of the good stuff is driving distance only. When a few crew members here told me about old equipment, most of it was in the outer reaches of the Philadelphia area. It's good that they're close by and all, but those are places that my folks would never drive by. My parents wouldn't waste time driving me a few miles, just to take a traffic light picture. All the goodies in Pottstown are already gone. (My folks never drive me there anyways)  And wish me luck getting pictures of those art decos in chester county, they'll be toast within a few years. I fear that when I'm an adult, there will be nothing interesting to put on my Flickr, just but miles and miles of bland McCain signals. I just wanna at least get pictures of the old signals before they're gone. That's all I want. Eventually it's gonna reach a point where I'm gonna have to travel to other states in order to see the good stuff. There's a reason why the content on my Flickr is pretty bland compared to other signal enthusiasts on that site.

kphoger

Quote from: traffic light guy on January 04, 2018, 03:10:34 PM
I'm just really stressed out about how a lot of my favorite setups are getting replaced

This definitely falls into the "no big deal" category.  Older stuff always gets replaced with newer stuff.  It's the way the world works.  In 30 years, you'll be calling today's installations "old".  But, seriously, almost 100% of life is more worth stressing out than stoplight replacement.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

traffic light guy

Yes, I know it's a dumb thing to get upset over. I'm not depressed about it, just really anxious. And today's installs won't be "old" in 30 years, traffic lights will be gone, and replaced by self driving-vehicles.

kphoger

Quote from: traffic light guy on January 04, 2018, 03:56:32 PM
Yes, I know it's a dumb thing to get upset over. I'm not depressed about it, just really anxious.

"Really anxious" is also going overboard.  If you're really exhibiting symptoms of anxiety over this, then maybe you need to seek attention.

And today's installs won't be "old" in 30 years, traffic lights will be gone, and replaced by self driving-vehicles.

Oh, really.  You think the cars being sold today (and over the next several years) will have completely disappeared from the streets within 30 years?  Because, until nobody is even allowed to drive their own car, there will still be a need for traffic control.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Always could pick up some of your favorite signals on eBay?  If they are getting yanked now they'll probably at their minimal worth in the hands of scrap guys.  But damn, I remember being mildly miffed about US 27 being decommissioned in Michigan around your age, nothing like that opening statement. You might want to whoa this down a couple notches. 

Scott5114

Quote from: traffic light guy on January 04, 2018, 03:10:34 PM
It's good that they're close by and all, but those are places that my folks would never drive by. My parents wouldn't waste time driving me a few miles, just to take a traffic light picture.

QuoteAge: 16

I see a potential solution you could work toward.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

That's how the world works: the world around us constantly changes, nothing stays the same forever, old gets replaced by new, and that's how it goes...for everything.

Move on, or a layer of dust will cover you up, too.

Don't get too hung up on nostalgia.

Don't worry about "missing out".

They're just traffic signals. Or roads. Or signs. Or maps. They're objects, and they don't care what you think.

You're actually worried (at 16) about what kinds of photos you'll take in the future? There's a whole lot more to life than a singular hobby.

adventurernumber1

I hate to see you in pain like that. I know all too well what stress, anxiety, and all that stuff feels like.  :no:  :-/

I'm not the best at this kind of advice, but if I had any suggestions, I would say maybe you could try to do some sort of work for your parents (chores, huge favors, manual labor, making something, something of that sort) in exchange for them giving you the opportunity to see and heavily document (photograph, video, or whatever it is you would like to do) those traffic signals that may be getting replaced soon. I remember when I was younger, I would often do big things for my parents in exchange for money and stuff - my most vivid memory of this sort of thing was lifting a large amount of huge stones (probably at least 50) into my grandfather's old box truck in order to haul it to our own house and use it as landscaping decoration in our yard, and I helped with that as well - so in return my dad gave me $50 or $60 and with that, I bought a video game - Mario Kart Wii to be specific (in 2011). I'm not saying you should lift stones necessarily, but you get the point, that I'm guessing it may be possible that if you do something huge for your parents or such, they may return the favor and get you to the traffic signals.

I feel your pain as well, so I know how you feel. It is saddening to see old, very interesting road-related stuff go away in the new age, such as state-name Interstate shields, truss bridges, button copy, and the sort. Change is a part of life, but change can be hard. But we all got to do what we can to roll with it.  ;-)
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Scott5114

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on January 04, 2018, 07:02:49 PM
I'm not the best at this kind of advice, but if I had any suggestions, I would say maybe you could try to do some sort of work for your parents (chores, huge favors, manual labor, making something, something of that sort) in exchange for them giving you the opportunity to see and heavily document (photograph, video, or whatever it is you would like to do) those traffic signals that may be getting replaced soon.

That's a circuitous way of going about it. 16 is the age at which most restrictions on employment drop off, and therefore the minimum age most people can get a real, W2-producing job. After I got my license at 16, I went to work at Burger King for $5.15 an hour. This justified my use of one of the cars (my parents were able to set one aside for my use) and I was able to use my wages to pay for the gas. Since I already had use of the car and the means to pay for it, there was nothing stopping me from clinching state highways and snapping photographs on my days off.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 04, 2018, 07:07:56 PM
Quote from: adventurernumber1 on January 04, 2018, 07:02:49 PM
I'm not the best at this kind of advice, but if I had any suggestions, I would say maybe you could try to do some sort of work for your parents (chores, huge favors, manual labor, making something, something of that sort) in exchange for them giving you the opportunity to see and heavily document (photograph, video, or whatever it is you would like to do) those traffic signals that may be getting replaced soon.

That's a circuitous way of going about it. 16 is the age at which most restrictions on employment drop off, and therefore the minimum age most people can get a real, W2-producing job. After I got my license at 16, I went to work at Burger King for $5.15 an hour. This justified my use of one of the cars (my parents were able to set one aside for my use) and I was able to use my wages to pay for the gas. Since I already had use of the car and the means to pay for it, there was nothing stopping me from clinching state highways and snapping photographs on my days off.

That is a good point. I guess I'm just presuming that, despite his age (16), it is sounding like the OP currently has no access to neither a car nor a job, and that his parents were, for the time being, the only way he could access these traffic signals. But if he does get a car and/or job, that would definitely help in the quest to see and document these traffic signals before they are gone.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

jakeroot

I think I have the opposite problem. It really bothers me when agencies don't keep their inventory up to date. But that's more the result of me being a traffic control geek, than a signal geek. I suppose if I was a signal geek, I would be similar position. Though more annoyed with the state of things, than anxious.

vdeane

It's also worth noting that due to graduated licensing laws, it may not be possible for him to drive to somewhere other than work even with a licence until he's older.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Hurricane Rex

Yes, I know it's a dumb thing to get upset over. I'm not depressed about it, just really anxious. And today's installs won't be "old" in 30 years, traffic lights will be gone, and replaced by self driving-vehicles.
Look, I'm upset that Oregon is replacing its Speed xx signs with Speed Limit xx. We all have dumb things we worry or have worried about.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Scott5114

Quote from: vdeane on January 04, 2018, 08:35:04 PM
It's also worth noting that due to graduated licensing laws, it may not be possible for him to drive to somewhere other than work even with a licence until he's older.

True, but starting now means you can get savings in the bank for later roadgeeking trips.

Plus, once I got my learner permit and my license I was able to sucker Mom into going with me on roadgeek expeditions. "I need driving practice" turned into clinching SH-24, then when she was fine with that, it turned into longer routes like SH-74. By the time I got my license, we'd clinched I-27 and I had her taking shield photos for me while I drove. :nod: Then again, my mom's always been pretty cool like that.

Point being, though, that rather than sitting there stressing about it, it's possible to take actual, concrete steps toward being able to influence the situation. That, to me, has always been a more attractive outlet than wringing my hands about it on the Internet. But maybe that's just me.

tradephoric

Just visit the Henry Ford Museum.  The nation's first three-color four-way traffic light is hanging there for all to see.

paulthemapguy

It's reasons like the OP's strife that have gotten me wondering if we ought to pull a bunch of data together in the form of traffic signal photos.  If we document the signal designs of today, we can show future generations how things have changed.  Plus, each state's nuances in signal installations are often one of the most distinguishing features that I use to identify what state I'm in.  Roadfans seem to be particularly data-oriented folks.  That's one of the reasons I thought the 1-2-3 sign challenge was a good idea; we're the type of people who like to list things, count them, and do them to completion.  And with our powers combined, we can assembly a body of knowledge from what roadfans all over the country/continent/world have seen and implemented in the field.  I'm saying that here because I think we can accomplish something with respect to signals, namely showing our findings in the world of signals--different states/cities of origin, common applications, each jurisdiction's approach to permitted left turns, protected-permit left turns, etc.  We all have quirks and stuff we prefer or dislike.  If we get examples of as many applications as possible, we can help everyone who's seeking out content depicting what they like.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

SectorZ

Quote from: kphoger on January 04, 2018, 04:04:21 PM
Yes, I know it's a dumb thing to get upset over. I'm not depressed about it, just really anxious.

"Really anxious" is also going overboard.  If you're really exhibiting symptoms of anxiety over this, then maybe you need to seek attention.

Well he comes here to complain about other forums, he may as well come here for medical advice, too.

traffic light guy

There's a set of old 70s-era 12" flatback doghouse traffic signals in Lower Merion, I'm scared that they're gonna get replaced before I get pictures.

hotdogPi

Quote from: traffic light guy on February 21, 2018, 09:08:20 AM
There's a set of old 70s-era 12" flatback doghouse traffic signals in Lower Merion, I'm scared that they're gonna get replaced before I get pictures.

Can you get there via SEPTA?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Brandon

Quote from: tradephoric on January 05, 2018, 09:38:23 AM
Just visit the Henry Ford Museum.  The nation's first three-color four-way traffic light is hanging there for all to see.

Yep, invented by Inspector William L. Potts of the Detroit Police Department.
http://large.stanford.edu/courses/2011/ph240/miller1/docs/moyer/
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jemacedo9

Where?  For one-off photos, maybe one of us could snap a photo for you if we're in the area. I find myself in Lower Merion once a month or so. 

briantroutman

Quote from: 1 on February 21, 2018, 09:12:03 AM

Can you get there via SEPTA?

Probably. I don't know the specific location the poster is talking about, but Lower Merion Township is the municipality that encompasses the "towns"  of Wynnewood, Haverford, Ardmore, Bryn Mawr, and Rosemont, all of which are on the Paoli/Thorndale regional rail line (former R5) as well as Bala Cynwyd, which is the terminus of the Cynwyd line (R6).

traffic light guy

Quote from: jemacedo9 on February 21, 2018, 10:19:37 AM

Where?  For one-off photos, maybe one of us could snap a photo for you if we're in the area. I find myself in Lower Merion once a month or so.

The first one is at East Levering Road/Belmont Avenue

There's another one at Conshonken State Road & Rock Hill Road

TheArkansasRoadgeek

So, are we suggesting the forum host user photos?
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.