News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Your Favorite Forum Quotes

Started by CoreySamson, July 05, 2021, 09:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 16, 2022, 09:31:47 PM
Heh. I'm second in charge and I'm pushing 50. My boss is in his early 60s. We're both set in our ways and we aren't going to–and don't have to–change just because someone born during the Clinton Administration doesn't understand basic punctuation.

The problem is that they understand it in a different way than you do. "." is a dot and has no inherent meaning. We generally agree that it ends sentences. We also tend to agree that it serves as a decimal point, but there are entire countries that disagree with that. Is it really any wonder some people disagree with the sentence-ending meaning too?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

thspfc

I've come to read texts differently based on the age of the person writing them. A period in a text from my grandma is normal, but a period in a text from a friend would make me wonder what I've done to set them off.

1995hoo

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 16, 2022, 09:57:27 PM
Heh. I'm second in charge and I'm pushing 50. My boss is in his early 60s. We're both set in our ways and we aren't going to–and don't have to–change just because someone born during the Clinton Administration doesn't understand basic punctuation.

The problem is that they understand it in a different way than you do. "." is a dot and has no inherent meaning. We generally agree that it ends sentences. We also tend to agree that it serves as a decimal point, but there are entire countries that disagree with that. Is it really any wonder some people disagree with the sentence-ending meaning too?

Well, that's sort of the point, pretty much as thspfc notes. Doesn't matter how the 20-somethings interpret it among yourselves. Assuming that your workplace supervisors are angry at you simply because they end a message with a period is not reasonable in context. (We're not going to text-message subordinate employees to set up a time before calling them on the phone, either.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 17, 2022, 08:57:20 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 16, 2022, 09:57:27 PM

Well, that's sort of the point, pretty much as thspfc notes. Doesn't matter how the 20-somethings interpret it among yourselves. Assuming that your workplace supervisors are angry at you simply because they end a message with a period is not reasonable in context. (We're not going to text-message subordinate employees to set up a time before calling them on the phone, either.)

I'm 32, so my role in life is to serve as a translator between the fogeys and the whippersnappers. :P

1995hoo

Heh. Last year my cousin wore a t-shirt on his birthday that said "I am 49 + 🖕." (In case the graphic doesn't display, it's a middle finger gesture.) I just may have to get a shirt like that this coming year.

formulanone

The smallest punctuation mark is driving people batty.

I guess if a microscopic virus can shatter the ethos of half our country, I suppose it makes sense in this timeline.

hbelkins

I use punctuation marks, including periods, in texts because it's proper English. I have no sinister implications in doing so, therefore I am not responsible for anyone else's incorrect inferences.

But overall, passive-aggressiveness gets a bad rap.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

I think consistency is really the key thing, too. If you know that someone tends to take the time to punctuate and capitalize their sentences properly, then that's just how they write. If someone who habitually types all lowercase with no punctuation suddenly adds them to a message, that is significant. The problem is the first time you correspond with someone by text, you don't really know what their "usual style" is.

formulanone

Maybe the 。will seem less serious (it's called the kuten in Japanese)。Or more serious, I don't know anymore。

1995hoo

Quote from: formulanone on December 17, 2022, 05:30:37 PM
The smallest punctuation mark is driving people batty.

Little Johnny can tell you just how important that punctuation mark is.

One day, the teacher asked her students to write the most important symbol in the world on the blackboard. Little Suzy drew a heart and said that love makes the world go 'round. Little Stevie drew a dollar sign and said how everyone does everything for money. Then Little Johnny walked up, took the chalk, put a dot on the blackboard, and went back to his seat.

The teacher was puzzled. "Johnny, what is that dot supposed to be?"

"That's a period."

Now the teacher was even more confused. "How can a period be the most important symbol in the world?"

"Well, I don't know, but this morning during breakfast my sister said she was missing one. Then my father started cussing, my mother started crying, and we found out the man next door had shot himself."

hbelkins

In a similar vein, capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TheHighwayMan3561

I wrote a story called Let's Eat Grandma dedicated to my parents, Ayn Rand and God.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

skluth

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 19, 2022, 02:46:41 PM
I wrote a story called Let's Eat Grandma dedicated to my parents, Ayn Rand and God.

I guess we don't need to invite Elon. He's already here.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: skluth on December 19, 2022, 03:15:18 PM

Cannibalizing Elon Musk would probably make a lot of people happy around these parts I'm gathering.

1995hoo

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 19, 2022, 03:23:42 PM

Cannibalizing Elon Musk would probably make a lot of people happy around these parts I'm gathering.

What are you going to do with the parts once you finish gathering them?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 19, 2022, 03:27:45 PM

Wasn't that why Simon Belmont resurrected Dracula in Castlevania 2?  Didn't Simon go through the effort of gathering Dracula's body parts just so he could kill him again?

webny99

I think the only appropriate answer here is... build a fire around which to cannibalize?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: webny99 on December 19, 2022, 03:50:56 PM

I think the only appropriate answer here is... build a fire around which to cannibalize?

I mean, if the end game of opening up an Elon Musk thread is to trick him into some sort of trap where he'll be cannibalized around a campfire by forum members who am I to object?

hotdogPi

Auto-formatting strikes again!

Quote from: kernals12 on December 19, 2022, 03:10:35 PM
ConnDOT has identified cheaper solutions for the problems at Exits ¾ and ⅞.

Maybe don't have so many exits that you have to number them this way?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

1995hoo

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 19, 2022, 03:34:27 PM

Wasn't that why Simon Belmont resurrected Dracula in Castlevania 2?  Didn't Simon go through the effort of gathering Dracula's body parts just so he could kill him again?

No idea. Never heard of Castlevania 2. I was just continuing the theme of noting how missing punctuation changes a sentence's meaning.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 19, 2022, 06:53:26 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 19, 2022, 03:34:27 PM

No idea. Never heard of Castlevania 2. I was just continuing the theme of noting how missing punctuation changes a sentence's meaning.

Yes, caught that.  I was curious to see where the conservation regarding cannibalizing Elon Musk might go given he's the subject of a current Off Topic board thread.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 16, 2022, 08:01:10 PM
2. In most of these contexts, users place more of a premium on fast transmission of messages rather than grammatical correctness. Therefore, slower typers eschew things like end marks and capitalization to transmit messages faster, while faster typers leave them off out of a desire to not stick out (nobody wants to be a square). If the user base doesn't have real keyboards, adding punctuation can be awkward, so there is additional pressure to drop it.

There was a time in my life when I typed online in all lowercase.  If I recall correctly, it was around the time I got into chatting on mIRC.  So yeah, that might explain it.

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 17, 2022, 07:41:56 PM
I think consistency is really the key thing, too. If you know that someone tends to take the time to punctuate and capitalize their sentences properly, then that's just how they write. If someone who habitually types all lowercase with no punctuation suddenly adds them to a message, that is significant.

You may have noticed that I use all sorts of punctuation on here, from colons to dashes.  So, if you see a post of mine that has no capital letters and no punctuation, then you can be certain I was acting at a whole new level of snark.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

skluth

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 20, 2022, 08:24:40 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 20, 2022, 08:17:38 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 20, 2022, 07:28:12 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 20, 2022, 06:40:40 PM
Quote from: kkt on December 20, 2022, 06:35:24 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 20, 2022, 02:32:45 PM
Unbelievable.

If only it really were unbelievable.

That's sure a lot of flying for someone with aspirations to drive 2,000,000 miles.  But hey, why not buy the entourage holiday flights when you have $29,000 in liquid cash assets?

It's actually 26,000 now, car expenses hot me hard this year. But I rarely fly. My last flight was over 9 years ago. Charlotte was originally going to be a road trip but I changed my mind.

So, all this bouncing around on flights when a trip behind the wheel would have likely taken 10-12 hours to complete depending on when you left.  Had your flight gone to plan how much time would you really have been saving?  Seems like the easier thing to do would have been to get on the road before sunrise (weather permitting) to get out to I-81 and I-77.

Nah I don't get up early for road trips, but had it gone normally, I would have been there 3:55 ish whereas driving would have taken at least 9 hours. Add in a long half hour rest stop and it may have been 10 hours (I can only go about 6-7 hours of driving right now before needing food/bathroom..etc). My main point in going there wasn't for the driving, it was for riding Fury325.

1.  Epic statement from the young adult who must have some serious leverage on his parents to enjoy getting them to pay thousands of dollars to avoid a minor road trip inconvenience.

2.  Also, do we have a new challenger for title of "who can hold their pee the longest in the car?"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.