Automakers Are Starting to Drop AM Radio in New Cars. Here's Why

Started by ZLoth, July 07, 2022, 05:13:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

From The Drive:

Automakers Are Starting to Drop AM Radio in New Cars. Here's Why
Some carmakers are leaving AM radios out of their new cars. They say it's because of audio quality, but it isn't that simple.
QuoteIt's easy to take for granted amenities in our cars like air conditioning and the radio, which have been standard equipment for longer than many of us have been alive. But the rise of electric vehicles is giving the auto industry the chance to rethink norms and jettison ideas that belong in the past. One of those ideas may be AM radios, which some carmakers say they won't include on future EVs, and which are already unavailable on a few. Car companies blame interference from EVs' drivetrains, but the answer isn't that simple–not by a long shot.

AM, or amplitude modulation, is a popular medium for radio broadcasts across the United States, often for regional interests such as news, weather, and sports. According to a 2018 Edison Research study, most radio listeners tune in while in their cars, making radio broadcasters rely heavily on commuters and travelers. It'd likely worry broadcasters to hear that many new cars don't include AM radios and that they're largely EVs and hybrids. You know, the kinds of cars that are increasingly looking like our only options in the future.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

The only time I've regularly used AM radio used to be when I was passing the Pentagon because the WTOP-FM signal on 107.7 would always fade out through there. But then WTOP switched to 103.5 and the problem cleared up. No more need for AM. Sports broadcasts here–the only other thing I used to listen to on AM–are generally on FM.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

I still listen to the local ESPN AM station during my morning drive to the gym since I can't turn on the TV at home before my wife wakes up.

roadman65

Well in Florida it's going to be a tough fight because we have a large Latino population. Most Spanish Speaking stations are on AM in the radio market. You take that away, you're going have a big upset here.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman65 on July 07, 2022, 09:10:02 AM
Well in Florida it's going to be a tough fight because we have a large Latino population. Most Spanish Speaking stations are on AM in the radio market. You take that away, you're going have a big upset here.

That's a thing here too, all Spanish stations are on the AM bandwidth.

ET21

The only AM station I listen to still is ESPN. Our local news got a FM band a few years ago. If our ESPN station gets a FM band, I won't need AM radio ever.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

kalvado

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 07, 2022, 09:14:32 AM

I would expect migration to FM. Or even more digital content over 5G. Those who got used to modern digital devices probably don't understand what's that hissing and screeching is anyway.

mgk920

One big problem that I've always had with FM is signal reception range.  When I'm driving to and from Chicagoland, Chicago FM's have already faded away well before I get to the Wisconsin state line on the way back - usually they're all gone before I get past Waukegan.  Then Milwaukee FMs fade away shortly after I cross into Illinois going southbound.  Northbound, the last of the Milwaukee FMs fade away as I get to the Niagara Escarpment, usually by the time I get to Slinger ( well before I get to Fond du Lac).  The big AM stations from both cities are all loud and clear the whole way to and from Appleton.

For music, I have a tune playing system that is completely separate from the radio.

Mike

kalvado

Quote from: mgk920 on July 07, 2022, 09:37:58 AM
One big problem that I've always had with FM is signal reception range.  When I'm driving to and from Chicagoland, Chicago FM's have already faded away well before I get to the Wisconsin state line on the way back - usually they're all gone before I get past Waukegan.  Then Milwaukee FMs fade away shortly after I cross into Illinois going southbound.  Northbound, the last of the Milwaukee FMs fade away as I get to the Niagara Escarpment, usually by the time I get to Slinger ( well before I get to Fond du Lac).  The big AM stations from both cities are all loud and clear the whole way to and from Appleton.

For music, I have a tune playing system that is completely separate from the radio.

Mike
And with cell towers along most highways, cellular radio is totally an option. Traffic may still be pricey, but that is changing

ZLoth

To think, once upon a time, AM was the standard on cars, and FM was an option that my parents declined to "waste their money" on.

To be honest, I stopped listening to terrestrial radio stations on a regular basis for several years already, instead utilizing either SiriusXM or the Bluetooth connection. (SiriusXM is going to be cancelled, as I now have unlimited data and several streaming services). Beyond WRR which broadcasts classic music, I have no idea what the TV or radio stations are in the DFW market despite living here for 3½ years. Maybe it's because it feels like you are getting 20 minutes of content and 40 minutes of commercials when you listen to the radio. Many of the stations now have a Internet stream which you can access through an app such as Radio Garden, so an alternative is available.

What concerns me, however, is the EAS stations. The primary EAS station is WBAP 820 AM while the secondary EAS station is KSCS 96.3 FM. While I do recognize that the other stations have to carry the EAS stations, I prefer to get the EAS from "The Source". This is more important now that I live in DFW and the higher likelihood of severe weather.

As for CDs, I have used the CD player maybe three times in the past eight years in my current vehicle. To me, it's several pounds of materials that have to be engineered for extreme temperature environments. While it would have once be considered extremely important in a vehicle's feature set, today, I would not miss it.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

kalvado

Quote from: ZLoth on July 07, 2022, 11:04:20 AM
To think, once upon a time, AM was the standard on cars, and FM was an option that my parents declined to "waste their money" on.

To be honest, I stopped listening to terrestrial radio stations on a regular basis for several years already, instead utilizing either SiriusXM or the Bluetooth connection. (SiriusXM is going to be cancelled, as I now have unlimited data and several streaming services). Beyond WRR which broadcasts classic music, I have no idea what the TV or radio stations are in the DFW market despite living here for 3½ years. Maybe it's because it feels like you are getting 20 minutes of content and 40 minutes of commercials when you listen to the radio. Many of the stations now have a Internet stream which you can access through an app such as Radio Garden, so an alternative is available.

What concerns me, however, is the EAS stations. The primary EAS station is WBAP 820 AM while the secondary EAS station is KSCS 96.3 FM. While I do recognize that the other stations have to carry the EAS stations, I prefer to get the EAS from "The Source". This is more important now that I live in DFW and the higher likelihood of severe weather.

As for CDs, I have used the CD player maybe three times in the past eight years in my current vehicle. To me, it's several pounds of materials that have to be engineered for extreme temperature environments. While it would have once be considered extremely important in a vehicle's feature set, today, I would not miss it.
Again, emergency alerting migrates to cell phone. It may make sense in many cases as a phone is normally on, unlike some obscure radio station you have to specifically tune to.

zzcarp

Quote from: kalvado on July 07, 2022, 11:11:22 AM
Quote from: ZLoth on July 07, 2022, 11:04:20 AM

Again, emergency alerting migrates to cell phone. It may make sense in many cases as a phone is normally on, unlike some obscure radio station you have to specifically tune to.

This works fine where there's cell service. In rural areas in Colorado and many other western states, there is no cell service for long periods of time. Often there's service along interstates and some (but not all) other state highways, but there's often no option other than the long-distance AM stations or satellite radio in the sticks.
So many miles and so many roads

roadman65

Quote from: kalvado on July 07, 2022, 09:31:38 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 07, 2022, 09:14:32 AM

I would expect migration to FM. Or even more digital content over 5G. Those who got used to modern digital devices probably don't understand what's that hissing and screeching is anyway.

Well the Talk Radio part has moved as both Cox and IHeart started to feature Talk simulcasted on FM the same station on AM is now FM as well.

So I can see Spanish moving to FM soon as radio station demos change and that's how radio stations decide formats based on.  I learned that at CSB when I schooled there.  Hence why Magic 107 in Orlando was Neil Diamond and Barbara Streisand in the nineties but later became more harder light rock later. In 1991 you would hear the Carpenters sing We've Only Just Begun and in 2001 no Carpenters Song was played but Fleetwood Mac's Go You're Own Way is now played,  while still being classified as a Light Rock Station.

Now Magic is best of the Eighties, Nineties, and today due to another Demo Change.  No more Beatles, and classic adult contemporary music anymore, but post 1980 to present are only played.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

triplemultiplex

AM stations always have weird static that changes when you drive under power lines and change with the signals at traffic lights.  I've frequently been stopped at a red light while listening to live sports on AM radio and the static buzz matches the blinking of the "don't walk" sign at the crosswalk.

Oh and if you're around a thunderstorm, you can "hear" the lightning in the static on AM.  That's kind of cool because even if you don't have eyes on the flash, you know the thunder is coming.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

hbelkins

Prior to the proliferation of television and digital broadcasting, it was a time-honored tradition for UK basketball fans who lived out of state to drive to some area where they could pick up clear-channel WHAS-AM (840) out of Louisville to listen to the games.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Henry

This is nothing new: Home and portable stereo systems are doing the exact same thing, as they're being FM only. So this is another sign that AM radio is currently on life support, as more of those stations are adding FM simulcasts (or more commonly, HD2/3/4). For example, WBBM 780 is also broadcasting on 105.9 FM, but because a Top-40 station at 96.3 is also using those same call letters, 105.9 has to go under a different identity (WCFS).

Quote from: roadman65 on July 07, 2022, 12:14:59 PM
Hence why Magic 107 in Orlando was Neil Diamond and Barbara Streisand in the nineties but later became more harder light rock later. In 1991 you would hear the Carpenters sing We've Only Just Begun and in 2001 no Carpenters Song was played but Fleetwood Mac's Go You're Own Way is now played,  while still being classified as a Light Rock Station.

Now Magic is best of the Eighties, Nineties, and today due to another Demo Change.  No more Beatles, and classic adult contemporary music anymore, but post 1980 to present are only played.
You can still hear the above artists perform during the Christmas holiday season, along with Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Elvis Presley, who were pushed out once the former beautiful music stations made their switch to AC some 50 years ago. I remember seeing my grandparents get upset over the change that WLAK (now WLIT) made back in 1982, and they decided not to listen anymore after that. And the decline of music radio on AM didn't help matters either.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

XamotCGC

Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

Scott5114

I don't think I've ever intentionally listened to AM radio for more than a few minutes. A few times I've tried to pick up distant stations late at night for novelty's sake, or on a long drive tuned to a frequency listed on a blue road sign out of curiosity's sake. But I've never thought "You know, I'd like to listen to whatever's on [station] right now."

Even in the event of an emergency, AM isn't all that useful around here. Each of the TV stations has a deal with an FM station to simulcast their severe weather coverage, and I assume that would carry over to more serious matters. If I really need to listen to the news and the phone is out, NPR is on FM as well. There just isn't much of a use case for AM for me.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bandit957

Might as well face it, pooing is cool

skluth

The problem for many Spanish language stations is many of those stations are in large metros where most if not all the FM slots are already taken. There are literally no vacant FM channels in Los Angeles. I won't be surprised if the same issue exists in other major markets.

Personally, I can't remember the last time I listened to an AM station other than to program one in my car in case I accidently hit the AM button so I don't listen to static.

vdeane

I had my AM presets on the highway advisory stations the Thruway used.  Now that the Thruway's HAR system has been discontinued, I don't use them anymore.  I hope FM sticks around for a while; I have a whole system of presets covering most of NY and some adjoining areas (particularly VT and western MA).  If I had to switch to streaming them, I'd probably pick my favorites and dump the rest.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

One of the related articles linked from that article is a story about a mysterious AM broadcast in DC that was transmitting road closures associated with Barack Obama's inauguration. In 2021. Because, for the 8 years it was broadcasting, nobody had noticed it. If that doesn't show how much people care about AM, I don't know what would.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Duke87

So... another case of companies lying through their teeth about why they're doing something, under the assumption that their bullshit excuse will be more palatable to anyone asking about it than the real reason would be.

Anyway yeah I don't particularly care for day to day purposes as I never listen to the radio anymore and haven't in years. But...

Quote from: zzcarp on July 07, 2022, 11:56:44 AM
Quote from: kalvado on July 07, 2022, 11:11:22 AM

This works fine where there's cell service. In rural areas in Colorado and many other western states, there is no cell service for long periods of time. Often there's service along interstates and some (but not all) other state highways, but there's often no option other than the long-distance AM stations or satellite radio in the sticks.

Not only that, but consider also that:
- your phone's battery will be dead in a day or less if you can't charge it because the power is out, and then what. A portable radio running on a few AAs will last A LOT longer.
- even if you normally have cell service where you live there is no guarantee that you still will in a disaster situation. Let me tell you, if you were in the lower part of Manhattan in the days after Hurricane Sandy hit, it was basically impossible to so much as get a text message in or out. Every cell tower in the area had exhausted its backup power by the following evening and you had to fight with a lot of other people for access to the next nearest tower that still had power in Brooklyn or New Jersey. Radio worked fine.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

bandit957

So when did folks here first have a car with an FM radio?

My parents first buyed a car with an FM radio in 1984. We rented a car with an FM radio in 1982 to go on a trip to Myrtle Beach, but the real reason we rented it was that our own car would never make it that far.

Around 1986, we buyed a used car that only had AM, which mostly my brother drove. But after WCLU went away, that car got an FM radio.

I'm trying to remember what our AM radio presets were up to 1984. This was when you set the presets by pulling the button outward. I'm sure we had WLW and WKRC and probably WHAS, and I think we had WMOH too. Maybe WCKY and WLAP-AM. I'm pretty sure we had WSAI up to 1978. I know we had the airport information station for a while. Around 1982-83, I kept begging my parents to add WCLU, but they wouldn't add it until WCLU started playing a new Hall & Oates song they liked.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.