News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Bike signals

Started by Amtrakprod, July 16, 2022, 02:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amtrakprod

Quote from: jamess on November 04, 2022, 01:57:04 PM
I dont think theres any in NJ, even with the new two-way bike paths.

I haven't seen any, but hopefully some will be installed soon. Maybe Jersey City will be the first, or Hoboken.
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Here's one for this strange little bike path in Secaucus.

Big John

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on November 27, 2022, 09:01:26 PM

Off topic, but there are diagonal louvers on the pole-mounted signal.  Purpose?

Amtrakprod

Good catch ! Thanks (:
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: Big John on November 27, 2022, 10:25:38 PM

Off topic, but there are diagonal louvers on the pole-mounted signal.  Purpose?

Probably so that bikes don't see the green for vehicles turning left and think it pertains to them.

jamess

Any idea of how it came about? That two way bike path appears to be high quality, but is just 2 blocks long

roadfro

Quote from: jamess on December 07, 2022, 11:03:50 AM

Any idea of how it came about? That two way bike path appears to be high quality, but is just 2 blocks long

Off-topic, but the use of the double-yellow skip lines across breaks in the separating median (where vehicles can cross the bike path) is very odd and definitely non-compliant.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

SectorZ

High quality except for the 45 degree abrupt turn to dodge a bus stand. I'm curious how many head-on cycling collisions have occurred due to that.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: SectorZ on December 07, 2022, 11:30:16 AM

High quality except for the 45 degree abrupt turn to dodge a bus stand. I'm curious how many head-on cycling collisions have occurred due to that.

Doesn't look like a popular place for biking, but it's good that they're building out a network. They definitely should fix that geometry if it gets busier.

US71

I thought for sure I had a photo.... there's a bike signal in Bentonville, AR. It's along 8th St near Wally World HQ
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

JCinSummerfield

They have them in downtown Toledo, OH

plain

Thanks to a map being posted in the general Traffic Signal thread, I was able to check out some signals I didn't know about.

At first I thought this bike signal in Charlotte, NC was a "FYBS" (Flashing Yellow Bike Signal lmaoooo) but looking closer it appears that the bottom aspect is actually a green arrow. I guess it's to let bicyclist know it's safe to make the left. There's another signal for the same movement on the opposite corner.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/u8w975UrLDgXJfjd6

However, there does appear to be an actual "FYBS" in Alexandria, VA

https://maps.app.goo.gl/fUEac2n8Bc9eUZoi9
Newark born, Richmond bred

Amtrakprod

Quote from: plain on January 13, 2023, 07:13:54 PM
Thanks to a map being posted in the general Traffic Signal thread, I was able to check out some signals I didn't know about.

At first I thought this bike signal in Charlotte, NC was a "FYBS" (Flashing Yellow Bike Signal lmaoooo) but looking closer it appears that the bottom aspect is actually a green arrow. I guess it's to let bicyclist know it's safe to make the left. There's another signal for the same movement on the opposite corner.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/u8w975UrLDgXJfjd6

However, there does appear to be an actual "FYBS" in Alexandria, VA

https://maps.app.goo.gl/fUEac2n8Bc9eUZoi9

There are actually full FY bike signals in Minnesota. St Paul has some interesting ones: https://youtu.be/LxKFhhaMC0s

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.