News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

My Arizona Roadgeek Website (AzNate's Roads Updates)

Started by AzNate, July 24, 2022, 04:49:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AzNate

Hello! I launched a roadgeek website a year ago, mostly related to roads in Arizona, but also featuring stuff from neighboring states occassionally. I was mostly inspired by the Arizona Roads website when I first came up with the idea of this, so my website provides a bunch of more up-to-date information regarding highways in Arizona as well as a series of pages dedicated to showcasing errors or other fails on signage. There is a special pages section on the site that I use for documenting button copy signs that I find throughout the country, as well as various roadgeek topic pages such as info about Arizona welcome signs, Arizona traffic signals, my license plate collection, a license plate generator, and images of progress on the Broadway Curve Project on I-10! I also have an image gallery to show off some of my pictures from places in Arizona and other surrounding states that I have visited.

If anyone is interested in seeing such a site, you can check it out here: roads.aznate.tech

Max Rockatansky

Noticed that Arizona Roads was listed as an inspiration, that's what I used to read when I lived in the state also.  Good to see another directory site has emerged for Arizona. 

Alex

Nice to see another road web site. *Bookmarked*

AzNate

Thanks for the kind words. I think I will also use this thread as an update log, so here are the big changes I made last night:

- Added a proper contact form
- Updated info on the welcome signs page about why US 191 has no welcome sign.
- Finally added Arizona gallery pages for AZ 264, AZ 277, AZ 377, US 64, US 160, and US 191.
- Added Utah gallery pages for US 191, UT 162, and UT 313.
- Added Colorado gallery pages for CO 41 and US 160.
- Added New Mexico gallery pages for I-25, I-40, NM 333, NM 466, US 64, US 64 Business, US 160, US 491, and US 550.
- Added random roads gallery pictures for Albuquerque, Farmington, and Santa Fe, NM.

AzNate

Here are the latest major site updates since the last post I made:

• Updated info to reflect the SR 24 extension fully opening today, as well as added pictures of the new stretch of highway
  • Added a picture of probably the last remaining inverted Loop 303 shields in the wild
  • Added new pictures to the Loop 303 slideshow
  • Updated info and imagery of the Arizona welcome signs on US 70, US 180, SR 264, SR 93X, and SR 95

Max Rockatansky

I actually found one of those inverted AZ 303 shields at an estate sale in New Jersey if all places:

https://flic.kr/p/RRizgU

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: AzNate on August 12, 2022, 01:14:13 AM
Here are the latest major site updates since the last post I made:

• Updated info to reflect the SR 24 extension fully opening today, as well as added pictures of the new stretch of highway
  • Added a picture of probably the last remaining inverted Loop 303 shields in the wild
  • Added new pictures to the Loop 303 slideshow
  • Updated info and imagery of the Arizona welcome signs on US 70, US 180, SR 264, SR 93X, and SR 95
The original Arizona Roads is one of my favorite roadgeek sites, so I like that it inspired you to do this one. Great work!
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

AzNate

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 12, 2022, 09:49:43 AM
I actually found one of those inverted AZ 303 shields at an estate sale in New Jersey if all places:

https://flic.kr/p/RRizgU
That's really cool! I wonder how that ended up there.

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on August 18, 2022, 03:16:14 PM
The original Arizona Roads is one of my favorite roadgeek sites, so I like that it inspired you to do this one. Great work!
Thanks!

AzNate

Some more website updates since last time:

• Updated info for Loop 303 about future construction projects to improve and extend the freeway
  • Removed the Arizona Timeline of Signs page due to inaccurate information regarding years
  • Redesigned header and navigation bar and made a more consistent color scheme
  • Made the width of the button copy signs and Broadway Curve Project pages consistent with the rest of the website along with other small consistency tweaks across the website

futtockpaintball

it was interesting to see, Thank you for sharing!

AzNate

No problem, glad you like the site!

Here's the list of website changes I've made since my last post:

• Created a new page about Arizona's Scenic Roads
  • I was finally able to get my own picture of the previously mentioned inverted Loop 303 shields and replaced the Google Maps screenshot with it

• Added some new pictures of Loop 303 to the slideshow
  • Updated info and added pictures of the Northern Parkway
  • Added new pictures of the Broadway Curve construction project
  • Moved my website onto my Dell Optiplex to self host it and finally got SSL certificates for the website
  • Made a new, custom 404 page
  • Created a status page for the website, so you can see details if the site goes down for whatever reason

AzNate

Here's another list of site updates since my last post:

• Added new pictures of US 60, 70, 180, 191 and SR 61, 75, 78, 260, and 273 (273 pics might be useful to some, since both times Google Street View has tried to fully travel it, the road has been closed :-D)
  • Added some pictures of the "Sign Salad" in Flagstaff to the US 180 page
  • Added new pictures to Goofs & Fails page 7 & 8 and the New Mexico section of the special goofs
  • Added new welcome sign pictures for US 70, SR 78, and US 180
  • Added new pictures for the Gila-Pinal & White Mountain Scenic Roads on the scenic roads page
  • Added gallery pages for US 70, SR 61, 75, 78, 303, Northern Pkwy, and new pictures for the Flagstaff random roads gallery
  • Added New Mexico gallery pages for NM 78 and US 180
  • Updated Loop 202 info after the Lindsay Rd interchange opening

Max Rockatansky

Do we even have a general thread regarding roads for which we individually have photos but the Google Car does not?

AzNate

Not sure. I wouldn't really know in the relatively short time I've been on the forum, but I haven't seen one.

roadman65

Didn't know parts of the state used yellow signal heads.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

mrsman

Quote from: AzNate on October 08, 2022, 10:01:10 AM
Not sure. I wouldn't really know in the relatively short time I've been on the forum, but I haven't seen one.

It would probably be a good one to start and would also provide a useful resource for people.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: mrsman on October 23, 2022, 07:33:06 AM
Quote from: AzNate on October 08, 2022, 10:01:10 AM

It would probably be a good one to start and would also provide a useful resource for people.

I created one in the general board, didn't seem to garner much interest.

AzNate

That sucks, I thought it was a pretty interesting and useful idea.

Also, here's some more website updates from today:

• Added new images to goofs page 8 and a new page 9. ADOT's typically pretty good with signage I think, but this one's got a lot of issues being on the freeway...

• Replaced and added new button copy sign pictures.
  • Added an image to the Broadway Curve Project page.
  • Added Switzerland to the license plate generator.

AzNate

More site updates:

• Created a goofs & fails map that will replace eventually replace the old pages if feedback is positive. Hoping that the map will add a better sense of location to the images. (Old pages are still accessible for now from the legacy page hub.)
  • Converted the button copy signs page to an accordion format, organized by roads to make it easier to navigate hopefully.
  • Finally added now year old pictures of button copy from I-19 northbound.
  • Added new pictures to the Loop 101 slideshow.

Scott5114

I don't think I've ever seen someone do a roadgeek image site by putting pins on a map before. And even uses OSM as the base map, so there's less risk of the API breaking at some point over the years. That's super cool. Well done.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

AzNate

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 06, 2022, 12:26:32 AM
I don't think I've ever seen someone do a roadgeek image site by putting pins on a map before. And even uses OSM as the base map, so there's less risk of the API breaking at some point over the years. That's super cool. Well done.

Love this idea.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

AzNate

New significant website updates since last time:

AzNate

New major updates today:

AzNate

Should've waited until today to post a full update log, but anyways, made some more tweaks and updates since the 29th:

• Added some more pictures of I-40, some more history of SR 68, and both more pictures and history of SR 95, along with London Bridge pictures.
  • Updated the picture with my own of the welcome sign on SR 95 from Nevada. I also removed the marker for SR 95 entering from California since the welcome sign there has sadly been removed for whatever reason.
  • Added a picture of a 1959 Colorado license plate that is the most recent addition to my license plate collection.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.