News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Artists that depress you

Started by roadman65, August 08, 2022, 07:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I can't help but not feel depressed whenever I hear Barbara Streisand sing.  Even though she is popular among the community of music and film, for some reason to me personally, I find her voice to sound depressing . Even when she sings happy songs, her voice to me don't sound happy.

Anyone have an artist that they get depressed by even though the artist isn't really that depressed? 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

David Gilmour's "About Face" is one of the most depressing albums I've ever heard.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

Chvrches and Imagine Dragons, both regular presences of modern radio. An ex was a big fan of both groups so I'll forever associate them with her. (Thankfully my current girlfriend isn't a fan of either.)
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Max Rockatansky

Whoever the woman is who sings the song about hoping her ex gets cheated on.  It gets played at my gym a ton and I hate it.

triplemultiplex

Lana Del Rey.

But sometimes you need to wallow, so it has its place.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

skluth

Goya depresses me a lot. Many of his paintings are dark with creepy themes (like Cronus eating his children).

JayhawkCO

Billie Eilish. It depresses me that someone can whisper angrily and become famous.

As far as actually depressing music, Elliott Smith.

spooky

Karen Carpenter. I think it has a lot to do with knowing her story.

elsmere241

Quote from: spooky on August 11, 2022, 10:39:27 AM

Richard admitted in the liner notes for a compilation album that they did "too much, too soon".

hbelkins

Quote from: elsmere241 on August 11, 2022, 10:45:30 AM
Quote from: spooky on August 11, 2022, 10:39:27 AM

Richard admitted in the liner notes for a compilation album that they did "too much, too soon".

Every rainy Monday, I used to say that she would be doubly depressed that day. And that was before her situation became known.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

DandyDan

A good number of 60's bands like the Beach Boys and the Mama's and the Papas. It sounds optimistic, but it turned out they were all on drugs
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

kurumi

Morrissey and the Smiths are pretty skilled at sadness.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

mgk920

When I did a stint of summer employment at a local factory many years ago, I was constantly in a state of semi-serious depression whenever they played a country radio station.

:no:

Mike

dlsterner

Not an artist but a song:  "Seasons In The Sun" by Terry Jacks

Then again, most people would be hard pressed to name another song by Jacks, so maybe he qualifies after all.

TheHighwayMan3561

Nick Drake, especially his final album Pink Moon.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

JayhawkCO

Quote from: DandyDan on August 13, 2022, 06:08:15 AM
A good number of 60's bands like the Beach Boys and the Mama's and the Papas. It sounds optimistic, but it turned out they were all on drugs

Most musicians are on drugs of some kind...

Scott5114

Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 15, 2022, 01:40:22 PM
Quote from: DandyDan on August 13, 2022, 06:08:15 AM

Most musicians are on drugs of some kind...

After a certain amount of time doing the same sort of creative work, it becomes kind of hard to come up with new material without drugs.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Takumi

I wouldn't say Beach House in general depresses me, but they've got an album named Depression Cherry that gets pretty apt at times. The opener Levitation, in particular, is pretty gut-wrenching after finding out it's about the two victims of the 2012 Ellicott City coal train derailment.
https://youtu.be/d0mt0N5-LLw
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.