News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The most iconic dishes of your state

Started by Flint1979, August 14, 2022, 09:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

The main thing Indiana is known for is fried pork tenderloin sandwiches.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

CapeCodder

Missouri:
-Gooey Butter Cake
-Toasted Ravioli
-St. Paul sandwich
-St. Louis Style Pizza
-KC BBQ

Rushmeister

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on August 15, 2022, 10:51:33 AM
The main thing Indiana is known for is fried pork tenderloin sandwiches.
...followed by sugar cream pie!
...and then the psychiatrist chuckled.

hbelkins

Kentucky Fried Chicken  :-D

Actually, our state's nominees would probably be either a Hot Brown or burgoo.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

DTComposer

These are the first ones that sprang to mind for California:

Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
Mission-style burrito
Santa Maria tri-tip
California roll
BBQ chicken pizza

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 14, 2022, 09:19:50 PM
Here's Michigan

Coney Island Hot Dog

I'd like to know more - how is Michigan famous for a hot dog from New York?

webny99

Quote from: DTComposer on August 15, 2022, 03:51:21 PM
Here's Michigan

Coney Island Hot Dog

I always associated it with Coney Island NY too and almost made the same comment, but apparently, it actually is a Michigan thing.

skluth

Quote from: CapeCodder on August 15, 2022, 11:00:50 AM
Missouri:
-Gooey Butter Cake
-Toasted Ravioli
-St. Paul sandwich
-St. Louis Style Pizza
-KC BBQ

A fair warning to those who have never tried St Louis-style pizza; it's a love-or-hate thing and I am firmly on the side of hate. It's a super-thin cracker crust with watered down sauce and an artificial cheese called provel (like American cheese only with provolone instead of cheddar as the base) that separates upon cooking leaving little pools of grease on top. I lived there for almost 30 years and tried Imo's, Elicia's, and Cecil Whitaker; I found all to be revolting. OTOH, local chains π and Dewey's are pretty decent and I recommend those small chains to visitors.

Also, if you do visit any St Louis Italian restaurant (especially on The Hill), order a toasted ravioli appetizer. You won't be disappointed.

frankenroad

Quote from: kirbykart on August 14, 2022, 09:41:57 PM
New York doesn't have much. Apparently salt potatoes are a NY thing. You might get some more stuff if you go to NYC, I don't know.

Beef on Weck?
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

JayhawkCO

Quote from: frankenroad on August 15, 2022, 04:27:07 PM
New York doesn't have much. Apparently salt potatoes are a NY thing. You might get some more stuff if you go to NYC, I don't know.

Beef on Weck?

Dirty water hot dogs?
Hell, bagels?

frankenroad

Buckeyes (kinda like a Reese's cup, but it looks like a buckeye)
Cincinnati Chili
Goetta
Pierogies
Walleye
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

jlam

Colorado's has got to be Rocky Mountain Oysters. I have been fortunate enough to grow up like 2 miles away from Bruce's Bar, one of the best in the state. I go there about once a month. Palisade Peaches are also quite good out west.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: jlam on August 15, 2022, 04:41:07 PM
Colorado's has got to be Rocky Mountain Oysters. I have been fortunate enough to grow up like 2 miles away from Bruce's Bar, one of the best in the state. I go there about once a month. Palisade Peaches are also quite good out west.

Rocky Ford melon and Olathe corn too. I also would say "beer" and "whiskey".

gonealookin

If Nevada has an "iconic dish" nobody has told me about it.

We used to have the "Awful Awful Burger" at the Nugget, a dive on Virginia Street in downtown Reno.

QuoteThe "Awful Awful," a 60-year-old Nevada tradition, is known for its half-pound burger grilled to order, smothered in a secret sauce and served on a fresh-baked, lightly toasted onion bun with all the trimmings. The burger, named for being awful big and awful good, is usually served in a basket filled with a pound of fries.

I thought it was overrated unless you were drunk.  A lot of the people in the Nugget late at night or in the wee hours of the morning were drunk.  Anyway, the Nugget succumbed to the COVID-19 economy and closed in 2020.  I can't think of another candidate in northern Nevada, and most of the food concepts in Vegas are imported from somewhere else and in any case are too new to be "iconic".

JayhawkCO

Quote from: gonealookin on August 15, 2022, 05:03:31 PM

We used to have the "Awful Awful Burger" at the Nugget, a dive on Virginia Street in downtown Reno.

QuoteThe "Awful Awful," a 60-year-old Nevada tradition, is known for its half-pound burger grilled to order, smothered in a secret sauce and served on a fresh-baked, lightly toasted onion bun with all the trimmings. The burger, named for being awful big and awful good, is usually served in a basket filled with a pound of fries.

I thought it was overrated unless you were drunk.  A lot of the people in the Nugget late at night or in the wee hours of the morning were drunk.  Anyway, the Nugget succumbed to the COVID-19 economy and closed in 2020.  I can't think of another candidate in northern Nevada, and most of the food concepts in Vegas are imported from somewhere else and in any case are too new to be "iconic".

Pan Roast in Vegas.

spooky

In Rhode Island, an Awful Awful is a milkshake, branded as such by the local chain Newport Creamery. It is also touted as being awful big and awful good.

kirbykart

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on August 14, 2022, 09:44:10 PM
Massachusetts
Fluffernutter sandwiches
I didn't know that was a Massachusetts thing; now it's on the side of every jar of Marshmallow Fluff.

kirbykart

Quote from: frankenroad on August 15, 2022, 04:27:07 PM

Beef on Weck?
Yeah, I forgot about Beef on Weck.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: formulanone on August 15, 2022, 10:17:23 AM
Alabama:
Banana pudding
BBQ white sauce (usually used on pork or chicken)
Conecuh Sausage
Chicken stew
Lane Cake

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on August 15, 2022, 05:02:34 AM
New York system wieners

This always sounds like a slur, and I may have to use it at least once at a co-worker. 

Though I felt myself blush when saying "gagger". Seems like something we said in middle school.

It's a real thing:

Alabama:
Banana pudding
Conecuh Sausage
Chicken stew
Lane Cake

New York system wieners

This always sounds like a slur, and I may have to use it at least once at a co-worker. 

Though I felt myself blush when saying "gagger". Seems like something we said in middle school.

It's a real thing:

Alabama:
Banana pudding
Conecuh Sausage
Chicken stew
Lane Cake

New York system wieners

It's a real thing:

https://www.olneyvillenewyorksystem.com/

gonealookin

Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 15, 2022, 05:23:46 PM

Pan Roast in Vegas.

Seafood >200 miles from the ocean = automatic disqualification.

Flint1979

Quote from: DTComposer on August 15, 2022, 03:51:21 PM
These are the first ones that sprang to mind for California:

Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
Mission-style burrito
Santa Maria tri-tip
California roll
BBQ chicken pizza

Here's Michigan

Coney Island Hot Dog

Well Detroit, Flint and Jackson all have their own styles but coneys in Michigan especially Detroit has been a thing for over 100 years. There are several hundred coney islands restaurants across the state mostly in the Detroit and Flint area. Detroit style is chili, mustard and onion with more of a liquid chili, Flint style has the same toppings but has a drier coney sauce. Most restaurants get their hot dogs from Koegels which is a Flint icon and Flint area coney islands get their coney sauce from Abbott's Meat this is no small business both serve over 200 coney islands in the area. Coney islands are to Detroit what the cheese steak is to Philly it is by far Detroit's most iconic food dish.

US 89

Quote from: gonealookin on August 15, 2022, 07:52:03 PM

Slightly off topic, but a couple years ago I saw a semi on I-40 in Texas that was prominently labeled "FRESH FISH". This was not a refrigerated truck, it was around 90 degrees out, and we were at least 9 hours from any sort of coastline. Ever since then I don't order seafood inland.

gonealookin

I'm not from Utah but...I don't think there's a better example of a state with a single iconic dish than Utah and Jello salad.  Drop by your local Chuck-A-Rama soon!

JayhawkCO

Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 15, 2022, 05:23:46 PM

Pan Roast in Vegas.

You realize that local restaurants in LA get their seafood the same way as nice restaurants in Denver, yeah? It's all packed on ice and air freighted. Longer transit to Denver, sure, but the time difference isn't as much as you think.

CtrlAltDel

I don't know. Chicago's had shrimp DeJonghe since about the turn of the century.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

US 89

Quote from: gonealookin on August 15, 2022, 10:17:34 PM
I'm not from Utah but...I don't think there's a better example of a state with a single iconic dish than Utah and Jello salad.  Drop by your local Chuck-A-Rama soon!

I grew up in Utah and I still haven't eaten green Jello salad, nor have I ever entered a Chuck-A-Rama. Come at me.  :sombrero:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.