Taking better photos ( advice)

Started by roadman65, December 19, 2022, 08:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/52525205514/in/dateposted-public/

Took this picture going through Cottonwood, CA in July 21. I managed to get this even with the semi in the photo. I have found semis do get in the way, but something we live with as we do have to sate the roads with commerce as well as other cars.   However, I did manage well here ( at least I think) to pace myself far back to be able to capture the two road signs here that would have been hidden if I just drove normally.

My question is did I do well enough under the circumstances?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Speaking from experience many of the rural freeways in California have signs to the right lanes and not an overhead gantry.  The best way to capture images on those stretches is just to camp in the right lane as you are approaching exits. 

I guess to more adequately answer your question, what exactly are you trying to photograph?  I don't see anything inherently wrong with the photo you took.

formulanone

If you want the nearer I-5 sign in focus, you'll have to use 1/500 second (or faster) for exposure time for highway speeds. You can get away with something a little slower at speeds under 35mph, but I wouldn't go with too much slower unless it's a more distant object. A sign bridge that's 0.2 mile away doesn't need as fast a shutter speed as a closer-up reassurance sign at 300-500 feet away.

If you want the defroster vent lines to disappear, you'll have to use a circular polarizer on your lens. From a quick search, the Nikon D3500 kit lenses use either the 52-55-58mm diameters. Best $40-50 you'll ever spend on your camera (other than another battery). Usually the lens cap has a number stamped with an Ø on the inside of it.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on December 19, 2022, 07:59:27 PM
If you want the nearer I-5 sign in focus, you'll have to use 1/500 second (or faster) for exposure time for highway speeds. You can get away with something a little slower at speeds under 35mph, but I wouldn't go with too much slower unless it's a more distant object. A sign bridge that's 0.2 mile away doesn't need as fast a shutter speed as a closer-up reassurance sign at 300-500 feet away.

If you want the defroster vent lines to disappear, you'll have to use a circular polarizer on your lens. From a quick search, the Nikon D3500 kit lenses use either the 52-55-58mm diameters. Best $40-50 you'll ever spend on your camera (other than another battery). Usually the lens cap has a number stamped with an Ø on the inside of it.

My solution for that is a set of $3 dollar black pillow sheets from Walmart.  Just throw those in your travel bag, iron at a hotel and they'll easily eliminate 90-95% of windshield glare in a rental car.

Scott5114

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 19, 2022, 08:10:05 PM

My solution for that is a set of $3 dollar black pillow sheets from Walmart.  Just throw those in your travel bag, iron at a hotel and they'll easily eliminate 90-95% of windshield glare in a rental car.

I tried using black felt when I was really into road photography and it was no use; I just ended up with the texture of the fabric glaring off the windshield instead. Plus it was a huge pain to keep the cloth in place on the dash.

A polarizer seems like an intriguing solution to the problem.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 21, 2022, 05:57:27 PM

I tried using black felt when I was really into road photography and it was no use; I just ended up with the texture of the fabric glaring off the windshield instead. Plus it was a huge pain to keep the cloth in place on the dash.

What I've found is that I have to get a nice sweet flat spot on the dashboard.  Once I hit it getting a good photo with the vent glare gone is easy.  My Impreza has a somewhat ornate instrumentation cluster which makes this challenging something, the Challenger and Forester are much easier due their flatness. 

Worth noting, I use a iPhone 11.  Too much zoom makes for blurry signage photos, up to 1.3 magnification seems to the furthest I can take things without problems.  I go up to 1.5-1.7 if I'm not taking photos of signage. 

The really tricky thing with the black cloth in the Impreza is getting the placement right.  If I get too much vent covered the cloth will flap all over with the defroster on.  Too close to the wheel and the cloth will potentially slide back on uphill grades.  Tape doesn't do me any good given it tends to bunch up the smooth surface I ironed. 

One thing that is worth mentioning is that no matter how good you are at taking road photos they likely will still not come out completely perfect.  I always post edit my photo stock to minimize/crop out any artifacts from the image.  I also usually two shot bursts for non-signage photos and three shots for photos with signage.  I'll go through after and pick the best images out of the bursts I like, the rest get deleted. 

As of late I've been using natural shade cover when the terrain provides it to me.  Objects like the side of a hill and a row of trees tend to yield the best lighting results.

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: Scott5114 link=topic=32625.msg2799744#msg2799744

The biggest problem with polarizers that I have found is that they eat about a stop or so of light. So while they are great at reducing reflections they come at a shutter speed or ISO penalty.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

froggie

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 21, 2022, 05:57:27 PM

My experience is somewhat different.  When I'm serious about road photography these days, I'll use a black towel, which does cut down on the windshield glare.  The byproduct I've come across, though, is it tends to highlight nicks, scrapes, and pockmarks in the windshield itself.

dgolub

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 19, 2022, 07:58:57 PM
The best way to capture images on those stretches is just to camp in the right lane as you are approaching exits. 

This.  Not too much that you can do about the truck other than passing it, but do it in an area that you don't care about so that you don't miss anything while passing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.