News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The universe according to MMM

Started by Max Rockatansky, December 21, 2022, 12:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you think MMM really is?

Wesley Crusher
George Santos
Peewee Herman
Morshu from the Zelda CDi games
Potara fused FritzOwl and Kernals12 (KernalsOwl)
George Soros
Wesley Santos (Wesley Crusher and George Santos fusion)

dlsterner

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 05, 2023, 08:38:28 PM
Yet another reason for runaway trucks ramps to be built to interstate standards, and have at least 2 lanes. I could even say they should be designated 3 digit odd numbers as they are technically spurs off the main highway, but I'm not going to go that far.

If the runaway truck ramps are no different from the highway that the truck was on before, how exactly will that help the truck slow down faster?

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: dlsterner on January 05, 2023, 09:21:20 PM
Yet another reason for runaway trucks ramps to be built to interstate standards, and have at least 2 lanes. I could even say they should be designated 3 digit odd numbers as they are technically spurs off the main highway, but I'm not going to go that far.

If the runaway truck ramps are no different from the highway that the truck was on before, how exactly will that help the truck slow down faster?

By the angle. Doesn't need to be unpaved. I also suggest metal gates that close in behind once a truck barrels in, so it can't roll back onto the highway.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 05, 2023, 10:14:08 PM

By the angle. Doesn't need to be unpaved. I also suggest metal gates that close in behind once a truck barrels in, so it can't roll back onto the highway.

There's a reason why runaway truck ramps aren't built like that.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: dlsterner on January 05, 2023, 09:19:18 PM
Given that the electromagnets need to be quite strong to pick up an 18 wheeler ... How are you going to keep the electromagnets from also picking up cars and motorcycles in adjacent lanes as well?

(Just had a mental picture of a whole bunch of cars sucked into the air by the magnet, along with the truck)

And what if the body of the truck's trailer is made of non-magnetic material?  (Disclaimer - I have no idea what they are typically made of)

:popcorn:

All trucks are going to be required to have a magnetic material coated onto the roof. This is something that will have to certified by the trucking companies by law, just like any other standard equipment testing. Lifting the truck will actually be tested by a magnet at the docking bay, the same scale and specifications that the helicopters will have, before the trucker is allowed to get on the road. And don't forget, there's 4 grappling hooks that dig into the truck in case the magnet fails. They are both fail-safes for the other. Not to mention multiple choppers may assist the same truck if it is very long, (just imagine it dangling in the air by one chopper).

Edit: There would also be a small section in the commercial drivers manual about this plan and what drivers should do during a rescue operation such as this. Like tighten seatbelt, lock door, hold on to something sturdy, like the parking brake or steering wheel, as depending on how the helicopter hooks up to the truck, it might swivel around or tilt, causing the driver to fall, injure himself on something as the lifting commences. There would also be a couple of questions on the CDL written exam about the red button and when it's appropriate to use.

kkt

kphoger

Quote from: kkt on January 05, 2023, 08:04:45 PM
What they need is tow trucks that can rapidly clear out a truck that has used a runaway truck ramp, so that the ramp is available for the next runaway truck.

As I said, runaway truck ramps in Colorado are only used fifteen to twenty times per year–across the whole state.  Most highway patrol officers go their whole career without ever seeing one in use.  I don't think we need to worry about making it available as soon as possible.

Quote from: LilianaUwU on January 05, 2023, 10:19:08 PM

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 05, 2023, 10:14:08 PM

There's a reason why runaway truck ramps aren't built like that.

Dear woman, I certainly respect your attempt at inserting reason into this conversation.  However, I must confess that I think it might be a losing battle.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

So much effort here is going into wild future tech just to stop some runaway trucks.  A thought, why not just replace the fleshy truckers with indestructible robots that can be reused after crashes?

dlsterner

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 05, 2023, 10:51:34 PM
In fact now that I think of it, the helicopter may not have to lift the truck at all. It can shoot the grappling hooks and large magnet, and just pull back enough to put enough resistance against the foward motion to slow the truck down. But this may cause the truck to sway this way and that, so it might be better to get it off the road and above the trees on the side altogether. It can then be towed, by helicopter, to the nearest repair station, and where for a small fee, the helicopter could Give the trucker a ride back to the company or destination (the reason for the fee is because it would technically be drawing resources away from the high risk areas, even if the chances of a 2nd runaway truck in the same area within hours are astronomically low). Goods would be transferred to the nearest available truck where the driver could resume his route.

Why not use a transporter to lock onto the truck driver (and passenger if there is one) and beam them aboard the helicopter to safety?  Then use the helicopter's phasers to vaporize the truck.  Problem solved.

Just like Star Trek.

kkt

I wonder if better enforcement of brake check areas at the tops of long grades would reduce the number of runaway trucks.

US 89

Quote from: kkt on January 06, 2023, 12:52:13 AM
I wonder if better enforcement of brake check areas at the tops of long grades would reduce the number of runaway trucks.

I bet the cost of paying more police officers to sit at brake check areas is more than what would be saved by eliminating what would likely be a single digit number of runaway trucks over several years.

kkt

Quote from: US 89 on January 06, 2023, 12:55:24 AM

I bet the cost of paying more police officers to sit at brake check areas is more than what would be saved by eliminating what would likely be a single digit number of runaway trucks over several years.

Way cheaper than special purpose military helicopters!

7/8

I'm surprised MMM's solution isn't to simply forbid people from living and driving through mountains. That way all the roads can be straight and flat (no dangerous curves and no runaway truck ramps!). It's a win-win. :colorful:

kirbykart

And he says runaway truck ramps are bad because they are not "interstate standard". If they were paved they wouldn't work!

GaryV

Some of the things suggested in this thread make me think the lady on the call-in radio show complaining about the placement of deer crossings was a genius.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: GaryV on January 06, 2023, 09:37:03 AM
Some of the things suggested in this thread make me think the lady on the call-in radio show complaining about the placement of deer crossings was a genius.

The deer should have been supplied with Bionic Commando-like grapple hook arms so they could cross freeways overhead and not visually mar the experience.

kirbykart

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 06, 2023, 09:41:53 AM

The deer should have been supplied with Bionic Commando-like grapple hook arms so they could cross freeways overhead and not visually mar the experience.

Nah, just build a new island in the Canadian Arctic and move them all there! We should also send runaway trucks there (it will be the point where the trucks are dropped from the helicopter).

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kirbykart on January 06, 2023, 09:48:36 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 06, 2023, 09:41:53 AM

Nah, just build a new island in the Canadian Arctic and move them all there! We should also send runaway trucks there (it will be the point where the trucks are dropped from the helicopter).

I'm down only these islands have Gulags.

Max Rockatansky

How you compensating for accidental Telefrags?

hotdogPi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 06, 2023, 10:34:18 AM
How you compensating for accidental Telefrags?

I've thought about a device where you type in coordinates and teleport there, with certain allowed/disallowed regions (e.g. no military bases). It won't allow teleporting on water or a sloped surface; it will just notify you and refuse to teleport you. It can't distinguish any object from the ground, but it will see someone's head as sloped, so it will just refuse to teleport you. (If it did teleport you, it would teleport you on top of that person, not within, likely injuring but not killing the other person. Lawsuits are still possible.) Teleporting onto a busy roadway, on the other hand, will likely get you hit by a car.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Max Rockatansky

Sounds like someone never watched a single iteration of The Fly.  Also, riffing ole "Howard Hughes"  there isn't going to win you forum points.  Probably worth noting that he actively campaigned for the benefits of global warming on this forum.

jeffandnicole

I wonder if that would help, or if most brake failures are due to speed on the downhill and thus overuse of brakes trying to slow down.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 06, 2023, 11:57:08 AM
Global warming is actually a good thing, he's right if he was doing that. I'm sick of the brutally cold winters.

On Long Island?  People that actually experience 'brutally cold winters' would be wearing shorts in your neighborhood in the winter.

triplemultiplex

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 06, 2023, 11:57:08 AM
Global warming is actually a good thing, he's right if he was doing that. I'm sick of the brutally cold winters.

Or, perhaps you could just move to a climate more to your liking?  It's not like you don't have the cash on hand to fund such an endeavor.

hotdogPi

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 06, 2023, 12:20:45 PM
I want the coldest temperature/overnight low in the winter to be 40.

Move to Eureka, California. Wikipedia says the average low in January is 40.8°F. The entire West Coast is quite mild.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.