Gratuitous use of curse / swear / vulgar words.

Started by bwana39, January 10, 2023, 08:30:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michravera

Quote from: bwana39 on January 10, 2023, 10:38:30 PM
Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on January 10, 2023, 09:21:51 PM
I can think of many otherwise good films that were ruined due to overuse of the f-word.

Unless it's absolutely necessary to make a point, swear words just make the speaker sound uneducated and tactless.

HEAR Hear!

I'd go even further: Unless you are deliberately defaming or cursing someone or something, and, in your opinion such defamation or cursing is justified, and other words don't adequately express the level of your disdain or contempt, swear words make the speaker sound uneducated. I think of using that less delicate words as one would use nuclear weapons, they often defeat the other side, but you won't want to occupy the land of those who you have defeated! How satisfying it is, instead, to encourage your foe to make haste to join the underworld and to be thankful that they have begun their journey!

That said, California has a fairly strongly worded GtFooMW law (no gentler way to say it that is adequate) and a fairly weakly worded KRETP law.

bulldog1979

Quote from: webny99 on January 10, 2023, 03:11:17 PM

Never. Even if it might be deemed "appropriate" in some contexts and not in others, when you boil it right down it's never actually necessary. As a good friend of mine once said (I believe repeating something he was told as a kid), swearing just means you're lacking vocabulary. I couldn't agree more, and he's certainly proved it by coming up with some pretty hilarious expressions to use instead (think Captain Haddock).

"Vulgarity is no substitute for wit." –the Dowager Countess of Grantham, Downton Abbey

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on January 12, 2023, 09:46:29 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on January 12, 2023, 09:41:16 PM
I have been told that one reason the level of dress on airplanes has gone down is because of the TSA restrictions. It's easier to wear pants with elastic or drawstring waist than it is traditional pants with a belt because you have to remove the belt to go through the scanners.

Oh, I bet!  In the years immediately after 9/11, I used to wear sandals just so I wouldn't haven't to untie my shoes.  This last time I flew, though, I wore a metal-buckled belt and a jean jacket with metal snaps.  Whatever...

Certainly understandable, and as airplanes become more cramped, and airports focus on places to spend money rather than relaxing free time, dressing casually and comfortably is entirely appropriate in return. Even more so for longer distances or red-eye flights.

On the other hand, airline crews rarely set any two aircraft at the same temperature, so I avoid wearing shorts. Since there's a great chance feet can get stepped on in close quarters, I always opt for sneakers with socks at a minimum when flying.

Also, one should dress for the position and respect they desire. Wearing pajamas and dressing down someone in their uniform is a little low class, except in the most egregious of airline screw-ups.

triplemultiplex

If the airlines want people to be less slobbish on their stupid planes, then they should stop treating their customers like cattle who have no choice but to fly.  I've been on planes where my femur barely fits between the back of my seat and the back of the seat in front of me, so why the hell should I "look nice" for those fuckers who try and steal every centimeter from the cabin?
Goddamn, I wish this stupid country had high speed rail.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kphoger

Quote from: michravera on January 13, 2023, 01:34:02 AM
Unless you are deliberately defaming or cursing someone or something, and, in your opinion such defamation or cursing is justified, and other words don't adequately express the level of your disdain or contempt, swear words make the speaker sound uneducated. I think of using that less delicate words as one would use nuclear weapons, they often defeat the other side, but you won't want to occupy the land of those who you have defeated! How satisfying it is, instead, to encourage your foe to make haste to join the underworld and to be thankful that they have begun their journey!

Is this a fair summary:  The majority of curse/swear/vulgar words are gratuitous:  it is only in rare cases that the desired emotional connotation justifies their use, and using them otherwise only serves to paint the speaker as coarse and ineloquent.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ethanhopkin14

I have been told that one reason the level of dress on airplanes has gone down is because of the TSA restrictions. It's easier to wear pants with elastic or drawstring waist than it is traditional pants with a belt because you have to remove the belt to go through the scanners.

Although I agree with you, mainly because I do it myself, it started before 911.  I think 911 just escalated it.

abefroman329

Get PreCheck and you won't have to remove your belt.  Or shoes.  Or light jacket.  Problem solved!

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 13, 2023, 10:00:29 AM
Get PreCheck and you won't have to remove your belt.  Or shoes.  Or light jacket.  Problem solved!

The problem with that, at least for me, is that it's like paying the Mafia protection money.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

US 89

But without fail, my usual belt has just enough metal in it that it almost always goes off in the scanner, so I have to take it off anyway. Half the time, the TSA agent will see me taking it off and yell at me not to do that. The temptation to say "I told you so" after it inevitably does set the alarm off is so great.

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 13, 2023, 10:14:03 AM
The problem with that, at least for me, is that it's like paying the Mafia protection money.

If you fly enough, PreCheck is one of the most worthwhile things you can spend money on. $78 for 5 years works out to $15.60 per year. Especially if you fly more than once a year, that's almost negligible compared to the cost of an airline ticket.

JayhawkCO

I only wear nylon belts in general. Better for hiking and also don't ping in metal detectors.

michravera

Quote from: kphoger on January 13, 2023, 09:36:51 AM
Quote from: michravera on January 13, 2023, 01:34:02 AM
Unless you are deliberately defaming or cursing someone or something, and, in your opinion such defamation or cursing is justified, and other words don't adequately express the level of your disdain or contempt, swear words make the speaker sound uneducated. I think of using that less delicate words as one would use nuclear weapons, they often defeat the other side, but you won't want to occupy the land of those who you have defeated! How satisfying it is, instead, to encourage your foe to make haste to join the underworld and to be thankful that they have begun their journey!

Is this a fair summary:  The majority of curse/swear/vulgar words are gratuitous:  it is only in rare cases that the desired emotional connotation justifies their use, and using them otherwise only serves to paint the speaker as coarse and ineloquent.

Pretty much. There are plenty of times to be coarse or less than eloquent, but, in most of those cases, it doesn't much matter what you say or how you say it. You could say anything or nothing at all or just make loud shrieks or grunts and the effect would be the same.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: US 89 on January 13, 2023, 01:36:17 PM

But without fail, my usual belt has just enough metal in it that it almost always goes off in the scanner, so I have to take it off anyway. Half the time, the TSA agent will see me taking it off and yell at me not to do that. The temptation to say "I told you so" after it inevitably does set the alarm off is so great.

If you fly enough, PreCheck is one of the most worthwhile things you can spend money on. $78 for 5 years works out to $15.60 per year. Especially if you fly more than once a year, that's almost negligible compared to the cost of an airline ticket.

I hear where you're coming from, but there is no way I'm paying additional money to the TSA to avoid the hassle caused by the TSA.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

abefroman329

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 13, 2023, 05:51:00 PM

I hear where you're coming from, but there is no way I'm paying additional money to the TSA to avoid the hassle caused by the TSA.
So pay $100 to CBP for Global Entry and they'll throw in PreCheck for free.

vdeane

It IS ridiculous that one needs to pay money and get background checks in order to experience things like airport security and crossing the border in a way that even remotely resembles the way things were for everyone pre-9/11.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

abefroman329

Quote from: vdeane on January 13, 2023, 09:31:47 PM
It IS ridiculous that one needs to pay money and get background checks in order to experience things like airport security and crossing the border in a way that even remotely resembles the way things were for everyone pre-9/11.
Meanwhile, in the UK, the government has published a timeline for ratcheting back airport screening of passengers.

michravera

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 13, 2023, 05:51:00 PM

I hadn't thought of it that way, but it just seems backwards! It reminds me of the old saying "One doesn't pay a prostitute to stay; one pays them to leave!" If anything, it would seem as if you are paying for the TSA to be lax in their duties and that those who make them work hard go through for free. It reminds me of Yogi Bear charging a picnic basket inspection fee. As Rice and Weber wrote in another context "Why'd you let the things you did get so out of hand?!"

I look at the direction of the world as a complex plane: There is a vanishingly small narrow band of acceptable outcomes and a nearly infinite region of unacceptable ones. But then again, that is our universe for you! A very slight imbalance of positive and negative matter led to everything we know.

hbelkins

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on January 13, 2023, 09:57:25 AM

Although I agree with you, mainly because I do it myself, it started before 911.  I think 911 just escalated it.

When I was in college, I dated a classmate from that town for a couple of years. Occasionally, we'd go with her mom and dad to Lexington shopping at Fayette Mall. I was surprised that her dad usually put on a coat and tie just to go to the mall. He didn't normally dress up day-to-day. As someone who hates wearing a tie, and always took one off as soon as I could when I had to wear one for work, I didn't understand why one would willingly wear one when they didn't have to.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Otto Yamamoto

Quote from: bwana39 on January 10, 2023, 08:30:57 AM
The world has gotten to the point that the only curse word that seems to be verboten is the C-word.

That's not always the case. Certain English speakers use that as a term to describe a person with no particular redeeming value (like politicians), or someone who is rude, irritating or generally unlikeable. It's interchangeable with Tw*t.

Mr_Northside

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

bugo

The world has gotten to the point that the only curse word that seems to be verboten is the C-word. The rest of them "OH well", Whether it is streaming TV, to a lesser extent broadcast TV, and even this forum, the envelope pushes and pushes. F-bombs are dropped virtually indiscriminately.

Cock? Cum? Chram? Crapper? Carpenter? Christ? Communist?

I cannot sit in my living room and watch a TV drama for fear my 8-year-old will hear something I don't want to hear myself and I certainly don't want him to hear. Yellowstone and anything Taylor Sheridan produces averages 14 F-bombs an hour. Other producers are less, but they are still there.

You know the TV has an on-off switch, don't you? If you don't like swearing, don't watch TV shows with swearing. It's really that simple. Don't try to limit what I can watch because of bad parenting.

Just a personal beef. Guys I really wish you would try to have a mite of decorum on here. Even James Hetfield of the band Metallica says we overuse the F-word and it is losing  its (shock) value. 

James Hetfield sold out over 30 years ago. Who cares what he thinks.

I don't say "shit" or "fuck" for shock value. Never have. It's just a word.

Roadgeekteen

If you are worried about your kid hearing swear words in TV or movies, if they are over 8 they have probably read plenty of swear words on the internet already.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 13, 2023, 10:36:59 AM
If you are worried about your kid hearing swear words in TV or movies, if they are over 8 they have probably read plenty of swear words on the internet already.

Not in my experience. I don't remember how old I was (definitely under 12 though, as that's when I got my personal laptop and it was before that), and I was playing a Flash game called Platform Racing. The chat, which was accessible whenever not in a game, had automated swear filter. At the time, I knew the words "shit" and "ass", and I could figure out what the filtered forms were supposed to be. However, there were some that were clearly filtered that I didn't know what they were originally, and I'm pretty sure "fuck" was one of them.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1 on April 13, 2023, 10:40:17 AM

Not in my experience. I don't remember how old I was (definitely under 12 though, as that's when I got my personal laptop and it was before that), and I was playing a Flash game called Platform Racing. The chat, which was accessible whenever not in a game, had automated swear filter. At the time, I knew the words "shit" and "ass", and I could figure out what they were. However, there were some that were clearly filtered that I didn't know what they were originally, and I'm pretty sure "fuck" was one of them.
Not internet chat games, just browsing the web and going on internet forums and watching youtube taught me what like all of the swear words meant by 6th grade.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Big John

Just going to school did that with other students using them.

kphoger

It's a matter of them learning that it's OK to use certain words or talk about certain topics in mixed company.

My wife and I just had to sit down and have a talk with our 8-year-old son, literally last night.  My wife runs a home daycare, and one of the girls his age picked up some inappropriate phrases from him.  She then took those phrases home with her and used them there.  When we asked him about it, he told us he'd gotten them from cartoon TV shows.  In the past, I've heard him pull out a swear word, and I could tell by the tone of voice and the context that it's something he had picked up from TV.

Many TV shows rely on crude humor, and children don't yet have the social skills to know what things they hear on TV are appropriate for actual real-world conversations and what things aren't.  In the specific example of my son, he didn't understand that it was inappropriate to talk to a girl about certain parts of his body...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.