News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Google Street View Updares

Started by chrismarion100, February 02, 2023, 06:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrismarion100

I'm wondering how often does street view gets updated in your area. For me, they do the highway every few years but haven't updated the roads off the highway since 2009 (14 years AGO) besides once in 2015 when they did like a street or two.
Location (Small town east of Eau Claire WI)

jakeroot

I think we've talked about this a little in the Google Maps thread.

I think the gist of it: Google has rapidly increased how often they capture Street View imagery over the last few years. Some areas used to have one or two years at most, now many spots have multiple options for every recent year.

Regarding Wisconsin: it depends on the area. Many spots still have not seen any updates since the original rollout. I wish I knew what the status was on these roads, but they seem to be focusing their efforts on specific roads/areas/regions rather than just everything in a specific bounded area.

Rothman

It depends on the area everywhere.  Rural areas haven't been updated in ages by Google, outside of third party providers of inconsistent quality.  Google is focusing on more frequently traveled facilities.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Depends, in cities like Fresno quite often.  Out in the Sierra Nevada Mountains there are still a lot of 2007-09 images if any.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

webny99

Has Google Maps upped their dares by traveling to more remote locations?

JoePCool14

I've been noticing Street Views in Chicagoland getting updated more frequently as of late. I've seen so many streets with views posted for 2022. It's really nice to see. GMSV is an invaluable tool as a civil engineer, as it helps when doing "armchair engineering", when we need to quickly verify something. Of course, GMSV isn't replacing full surveys, but it's great for quick checks. It's also great for casual uses as well.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

1995hoo

Did they breach etiquette by going directly to the triple dog dare?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: webny99 on February 02, 2023, 11:37:00 PM
Some third parties did the job for Google maps for some remote location like on James Bay highway in Northern Québec.
https://goo.gl/maps/3D2pjUr9FqDiNWhW7

It would be cool if they added the Trans-Taiga road as well.

jakeroot

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on February 04, 2023, 03:56:16 PM
Quote from: webny99 on February 02, 2023, 11:37:00 PM
Some third parties did the job for Google maps for some remote location like on James Bay highway in Northern Québec.
https://goo.gl/maps/3D2pjUr9FqDiNWhW7

It would be cool if they added the Trans-Taiga road as well.

To actually answer webyny99's question, I think they started using third-party groups in order to avoid putting actual Google employees in danger, plus the third-party groups probably have better knowledge of remote locations. Less daring using those third parties.

golden eagle

Street View for my house was updated in February 2022.

golden eagle

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 02, 2023, 08:38:32 PM
Depends, in cities like Fresno quite often.  Out in the Sierra Nevada Mountains there are still a lot of 2007-09 images if any.

My mom lives in a rural area here in Mississippi, and her Street View hasn't been updated since December 2007. My brother just finished building his house next to hers.

Max Rockatansky

Has there been any Google Street View Uptruths as of late?

Roadgeekteen

In my neighborhood, the streetview of my road was last updated in 2013, but my neighborhood just got an update last year so all of the imagery
is pretty current.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jakeroot

Both the area I live now and area I lived in prior have imagery from the last few months.

Bruce

A recent Seattle update managed to catch a photo of me taking a photo of a Street View car.

If anyone finds it, 10 internet points are yours.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

andrepoiy

I still don't get how some towns like Ogdensburg NY have very limited coverage... Meanwhile on the Canadian side of the river the smaller town of Prescott ON has been covered in full, and sometimes multiple times depending on the road.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.