News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Motorists Say EZPass Routinely Racks Up Unfair Fees for Unpaid Tolls

Started by ZLoth, March 01, 2023, 01:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 18, 2023, 12:16:32 PM

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 16, 2023, 10:06:00 PM
This seems kinda impossible.  Tags are unique identifiers.  If a vehicle was used in a crime and someone got a tag number, they would then tie the crime to two vehicles and two users.

It not only is possible:  it happens all the time.  Kansas, for example, uses five-character identifiers on specialty bases and each base has its own series, so multiple plates with the same number can be and often are in circulation.  In theory the "right plate, wrong series" problems that result from this brain-dead scheme are catered for by requiring drivers to identify base as well as number when registering their plates with K-Tag, but this facility is not necessarily available out of state.

We had a breast cancer awareness plate on our car one year and, when I called TxTag to put that license plate on file for my Camino Colombia Day Pass, it never even occurred to me to tell them which base it was.  The operator did express surprise that the number was so short, and she asked if it was some sort of special issue, but my only answer was "Yes, it is."
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MASTERNC

Quote from: webny99 on March 03, 2023, 09:38:10 PM
As others have been mentioning, conditions vary from one tag system to another, but at least for EZPass, it does seem mind-blowing that anyone that uses the Thruway more than once or twice a year would not get one. Not only is there a slight savings, but you can avoid dealing with bill-by-mail every time you use it.

Same thing in Pennsylvania, especially given the large price difference.  However, PA charges an annual fee plus retailers can charge a "convenience fee" on top of the prepaid amount and annual fee.  One legislator wants to make the Turnpike charge the same rate to PA license plates and PA transponders, and another to out-of-state tags.

HighwayStar

Quote from: MASTERNC on March 21, 2023, 04:41:52 PM
Quote from: webny99 on March 03, 2023, 09:38:10 PM
As others have been mentioning, conditions vary from one tag system to another, but at least for EZPass, it does seem mind-blowing that anyone that uses the Thruway more than once or twice a year would not get one. Not only is there a slight savings, but you can avoid dealing with bill-by-mail every time you use it.

Same thing in Pennsylvania, especially given the large price difference.  However, PA charges an annual fee plus retailers can charge a "convenience fee" on top of the prepaid amount and annual fee.  One legislator wants to make the Turnpike charge the same rate to PA license plates and PA transponders, and another to out-of-state tags.

What about a PA tag and an out of state license plate?
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

sprjus4

Given I semi-frequent Texas, and went on a trip a few years back taking the Kansas Turnpike, I opted to simply buy a cheap TxTag sticker, and have it alongside my E-ZPass. It's far more useful than attempting to deal with toll-by-plate, especially considering some Houston area toll roads do not even accept toll by plate apparently (transponder or it's a violation).

Having both side by side now gives me full interoperability in E-ZPass states, and Kansas / Oklahoma / Texas.

HighwayStar

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 22, 2023, 12:51:51 AM
Given I semi-frequent Texas, and went on a trip a few years back taking the Kansas Turnpike, I opted to simply buy a cheap TxTag sticker, and have it alongside my E-ZPass. It's far more useful than attempting to deal with toll-by-plate, especially considering some Houston area toll roads do not even accept toll by plate apparently (transponder or it's a violation).

Having both side by side now gives me full interoperability in E-ZPass states, and Kansas / Oklahoma / Texas.

I am up to 3 different tags to cover EzPass, TX, etc., and Colorado. I don't want to clutter the windshield though so I just swap them on and off one at a time.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.