News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Is Countertrolling a Troll The Answer

Started by roadman65, March 08, 2023, 03:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Quote from: kalvado on March 24, 2023, 10:49:42 AM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 24, 2023, 10:31:38 AM
You could argue that we did by letting the MMM thread get to 84 pages. And that's just one thread.

Countertrolling may not be the right term. It's just straight up engaging the troll.
And 18 pages more in this thread after he's gone.
I think MMM has a reason to be proud!

At least his threads aren't the hot topic on the recent post board and it's back to seeing many different topics like it always was.

Like someone else said, you post something on his thread. Leave and come back later and fifteen other posts were posted in a short time causing you to have to go through them all to be up to speed.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

I wonder why anyone felt the need to be "up to speed" on them. I mean, I kind of have to read (or at least skim) everything to see if there's anything I need to moderate. You guys have the freedom to not do that. I certainly would have availed myself of it after a certain point if I had had the option.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JoePCool14

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 24, 2023, 06:38:04 PM
I wonder why anyone felt the need to be "up to speed" on them. I mean, I kind of have to read (or at least skim) everything to see if there's anything I need to moderate. You guys have the freedom to not do that. I certainly would have availed myself of it after a certain point if I had had the option.

I for one stopped reading most of his threads. There were just too many posts!

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

kalvado

I would rely more on people reporting things as problematic. Blanket reading for moderating is a bit too much effort IMHO...

Scott5114

Quote from: kalvado on March 24, 2023, 09:36:07 PM
I would rely more on people reporting things as problematic. Blanket reading for moderating is a bit too much effort IMHO...

I mean, it's not like I'm not going to read most of it anyway.

Roadgeekteen

Multiple times on threads I have said something only to learn that it was said earlier in big threads.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 25, 2023, 02:24:43 AM
Multiple times on threads I have said something only to learn that it was said earlier in big threads.

You don't have to reply to every thread.

kalvado

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 25, 2023, 03:27:44 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 25, 2023, 02:24:43 AM

You don't have to reply to every thread.
Quote from: 1995hoo on March 14, 2023, 07:41:21 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 14, 2023, 02:32:15 AM
.... I don't have fun engaging with trolls but I often can't stop myself from doing so. I also wouldn't call FritzOwl a troll IMO.I also have a tendency to try to "fix" the trolls and turn them into reliable members of the forum. ....

roadman65

Not me so much, but other users.  I always replied to the most recent as I'm not into getting into the many arguments he was in.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

paulthemapguy

I'm in the same boat.
The person wasn't a troll, per se, but what various forums define as a "lolcow."  In other words, a punching bag who's picked on so the other forum members can feel better about themselves by comparison.  And seeing this behavior get out of hand is borne from sadness.  It's about as sad, if not sadder, than the ridiculous ideas posed by the punching bag himself.

I'm more supportive of a forum where the tropes are goofy road signs and road design decisions, rather than a forum where the tropes are certain members themselves.  And we should be careful about who we mock and ostracize; we should separate people who propose harmful ideas into a separate category from people who propose unusual ideas.

I'm not a mod so I don't have a horse in this race per se, but that's just how this forum member feels. No, countertrolling is not the answer, especially when the one accused of trolling was just unusual and wasn't trolling in the first place. My thought is to get the mods involved if a rule break occurs or if something promotes real harm.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on March 12, 2023, 01:47:27 PM
I have received an email from him. Key points:

[...]

Most of the topics were trolling ...

Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 29, 2023, 11:08:26 AM
No, countertrolling is not the answer, especially when the one accused of trolling was just unusual and wasn't trolling in the first place.

I just want to point out that he was trolling.  He said so himself.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on March 29, 2023, 11:21:34 AM

Not to go down this road again... but it is basically unheard of for a true troll to admit to trolling. It's a sign that he was somewhat conscious of what he was doing, but also wasn't very good at it.

SectorZ

Quote from: webny99 on March 29, 2023, 11:58:55 AM

Not to go down this road again... but it is basically unheard of for a true troll to admit to trolling. It's a sign that he was somewhat conscious of what he was doing, but also wasn't very good at it.

At times you can get the troll to admit they were trolling when outside of the venue they were doing so.

I highly doubt MMM cares about his legacy here, because he's either never coming back or he's creating a third sock puppet that will just get caught and banned pretty quickly. Since he doesn't have any obligation to himself to keep up the ruse, he probably felt comfortable admitting it.

jeffandnicole

[...]

No, countertrolling is not the answer, especially when the one accused of trolling was just unusual and wasn't trolling in the first place.

To be factual, it was a 3rd party that said he said he was trolling.  We can choose to believe that the post and the email was truthful, but he didn't exactly say so himself here.

jakeroot

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 29, 2023, 12:22:00 PM

[...]

To be factual, it was a 3rd party that said he said he was trolling.  We can choose to believe that the post and the email was truthful, but he didn't exactly say so himself here.

Under the circumstances, what difference does it make? It's not like he could actually say so himself at this point.

Scott5114

Max Rockatansky

Does anyone seriously believe MMM wasn't a troll at this point on the basis of his own post content?  If you were on the fence how is a second hand account from someone credible like 1 not enough evidence?

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 29, 2023, 08:53:31 PM
Does anyone seriously believe MMM wasn't a troll at this point on the basis of his own post content?  If you were on the fence how is a second hand account from someone credible like 1 not enough evidence?
Well MMM has been banned already, so that should be proof enough, as he wasn't getting banned pre discovery.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Here is the definition of trolling: to make a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.

I am not disputing that's what MMM was doing, but I maintain that his activity was really pretty mild trolling, even by this forum's standards. And because MMM managed to stay around for so long and even shared some personal information here, there was reason not to write him off immediately, and to think that he at least had some potential to contribute in a non-trolling matter.

It really doesn't matter now, and I'm not trying to defend MMM, but the discourse surrounding him seems to have gotten so extended and dramatized that I think it is worth pointing out he wasn't really that bad. But maybe his blurring of the line between acceptable and non-acceptable activity is partly why we're still so fascinated with him, even though we should have just closed the book and moved on long ago (which, ironically, is exactly what we would have done with a more egregious troll).

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 29, 2023, 11:50:57 PM
Well MMM has been banned already, so that should be proof enough, as he wasn't getting banned pre discovery.

If I understand correctly, the ban was because of the sockpuppet, not because his forum activity was determined to be trolling.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on March 29, 2023, 11:53:49 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 29, 2023, 11:50:57 PM

If I understand correctly, the ban was because of the sockpuppet, not because his forum activity was determined to be trolling.
If trolling were to be the cause of his ban he would have been banned much earlier on.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: webny99 on March 29, 2023, 11:52:04 PM

Here is the definition of trolling: to make a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.

I am not disputing that's what MMM was doing, but I maintain that his activity was really pretty mild trolling, even by this forum's standards. And because MMM managed to stay around for so long and even shared some personal information here, there was reason not to write him off immediately, and to think that he at least had some potential to contribute in a non-trolling matter.

It really doesn't matter now, and I'm not trying to defend MMM, but the discourse surrounding him seems to have gotten so extended and dramatized that I think it is worth pointing out he wasn't really that bad. But maybe his blurring of the line between acceptable and non-acceptable activity is partly why we're still so fascinated with him, even though we should have just closed the book and moved on long ago (which, ironically, is exactly what we would have done with a more egregious troll).

I'm not claiming the guy was Crash_It.  All the same, he was clearly trying to get a rise out of the forum numerous times.  Yeah sure, when it was confined to his own threads it was mostly harmless aside from being annoying.  Trouble was he wrecked a lot of legitimate threads by way of polluting them with his crazed ideas and thoughts on all manner of things. 

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 29, 2023, 11:59:41 PM
Quote from: webny99 on March 29, 2023, 11:52:04 PM

I'm not claiming the guy was Crash_It.  All the same, he was clearly trying to get a rise out of the forum numerous times.  Yeah sure, when it was confined to his own threads it was mostly harmless aside from being annoying.  Trouble was he wrecked a lot of legitimate threads by way of polluting them with his crazed ideas and thoughts on all manner of things.
It's really hard to moderate, because what is the meaning of "wrecking" a thread?

kalvado

Problem was not with the troll, but with his zookepers.
A well-trained properly maintained troll, who is not ofed on a regular basis,  grows long white fur and doesn't bite people around him. 

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kalvado on March 30, 2023, 01:11:04 PM
Problem was not with the troll, but with his zookepers.
A well-trained properly maintained troll, who is not ofed on a regular basis,  grows long white fur and doesn't bite people around him.
To be completely honest, it was fun to argue with MMM at times. It was only when he started talking about child abuse did it go from fun to upsetting and uncomfortable.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.