News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off-Topic / Re: Municipalities with unusua...
Last post by bing101 - Today at 02:26:07 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on Today at 12:57:32 PMSpringfield, Illinois, is weird.
Yes and Springfield has a hole in its city limits.
 there is a Woodside, Illinois inside Springfield.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodside_Township,_Sangamon_County,_Illinois
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge (...
Last post by J N Winkler - Today at 02:18:41 PM
Quote from: Rothman on Today at 01:19:42 PMHuh.  Never thought about empty trucks that usually transport HAZMATS.  Shouldn't the placards come off in those cases?  I'd imagine they'd stay on out of laziness/lack of time, though.

I checked, and it seems 49 CFR ยง 172.504 allows a hazmat carrier not to display placards if it is carrying no more than 1000 lb of the hazmat, or only the residue thereof in empty non-bulk packages.  This implies there is no actual requirement to remove any placards already displayed when either condition applies, so I suspect the drivers of the empty vehicles are counting on not having their collars felt.
Off-Topic / Re: Municipalities with unusua...
Last post by CoreySamson - Today at 01:39:15 PM
Alvin, TX, has always been extremely weird to me. According to Wikipedia, the weird border around it is to stop other communities from annexing it and has been that way since 1960.
Off-Topic / Re: Target no longer accepting...
Last post by Max Rockatansky - Today at 01:24:04 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on Today at 01:09:17 PMMaybe they should do the military thing and refer to them an 'officers' and 'enlisteds'.

Mike

In the Navy they called by their rate which includes their rank and Military Occupational Specialty. 
Last post by kkt - Today at 01:21:13 PM
Quote from: webny99 on Today at 12:32:40 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on Today at 01:48:00 AMWe didn't use "team member" at my last job, but I tend to find that kind of euphemism kind of insulting to my intelligence. The employer is trying to camouflage the employer/employee relationship by instead insisting you're a "member" of a "team".

Again it depends on the context being used but it's not supposed to be a euphemism and if it is it's most likely a failure of implementation on the company's part.

Quote from: Scott5114 on Today at 01:48:00 AMThat way they can later guilt you into calling them out on violating employment laws by saying "hey, we're all part of a team here."

I don't think I follow. Presumably the employer is saying this, but in what context? I don't think "team member" should ever be used in the context of the relationship between employee and employer/HR department, only between an employee and the immediate department/group of employees they work with.

We're a team, but you all do everything my way and if you don't I'll can your ass.
/s
Pacific Southwest / Re: I-11/I-215/I-515/NV 564 He...
Last post by Rothman - Today at 01:20:26 PM
It's a DDI without traffic lights. :D
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge (...
Last post by Rothman - Today at 01:19:42 PM
Quote from: bwana39 on Today at 01:07:41 PM
Quote from: plain on July 12, 2024, 02:21:14 PM
Quote from: ixnay on July 12, 2024, 12:48:16 PM
Quote from: MASTERNC on July 12, 2024, 08:10:31 AMThe scary thing is the local newspaper has personally observed hazmat trucks going through the tunnels rather than detouring around the Beltway.  Supposedly enforcement has not increased with the Key Bridge being out (and a staff shortage is likely the cause).  Hoping we don't have another disaster on our hands.

https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/community/transportation/francis-scott-key-bridge-collapse-hazmat-trucks-tunnels-V3MAXLPOWFDKDH6PR3R4IUTQZY/

Yikes!!

Some of them are empty. Some are carrying non-prohibited loads, Some are ready to go boom!

Huh.  Never thought about empty trucks that usually transport HAZMATS.  Shouldn't the placards come off in those cases?  I'd imagine they'd stay on out of laziness/lack of time, though.
Northeast / Re: Pennsylvania
Last post by snowc - Today at 01:19:41 PM
Quote from: Alps on July 10, 2024, 06:35:08 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 09, 2024, 10:59:56 AMI already noted this in the License Plate News thread, but here is the official release.

PennDOT - Statewide News: Governor Shapiro Unveils New Highway Welcome Signs & License Plates Celebrating Pennsylvania as the Birthplace of American Democracy
FINALLY NEW LICENSE PLATES!!! FINALLY
I actually liked the older blue and yellow tags. Here in NC, its like simplistic. We have a blue on white tag rather than our neighbors in VA or SC.
Off-Topic / Re: Dr. Ruth is dead!
Last post by Rothman - Today at 01:18:06 PM
Love the fact that she was a sniper.
Last post by Rothman - Today at 01:17:48 PM
Quote from: webny99 on Today at 01:14:15 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on Today at 12:53:11 PM
Quote from: webny99 on Today at 12:25:26 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 12, 2024, 11:55:45 PMMeh, I've been in the same line of work my entire adult life (retail Loss Prevention).  There has been nothing I've seen in over the decades to suggest my initial assessment that "team member" was a silly/undignified thing to call an employee was off the mark.  I feel equally sour towards other phony retail titles such as "associate" and "coach."

Depending on your job role, if your position is higher up in the company and/or you aren't working directly alongside a group of employees, then sure, "team member" may not be a suitable term for that job.

I worked in a department that had half a dozen equally cynical people who all agreed that we weren't a team. 

What do you think the term "team member" versus "employee" brings to the table exactly? 

What were you doing if it wasn't working together towards a common goal? If you weren't working together, then I guess it wasn't a team. It's not like team is some magical superword or something, it just implies that you're working together with others and if that's the case I don't see anything wrong with using it in a business context.

I agree with the statement that the term is used to the business' benefit and "You're not a team player" being used to guilt employees into going beyond job duties and the like, sometimes illegally.

To ignore the power dynamic between employer and employee otherwise is on par with Pollyanna.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.