News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

AARoads: Gothic vs. Clearview Page

Started by corco, February 12, 2009, 10:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Interesting tidbit -- I don't see that Kentucky ever got approval for Clearview on the FHWA page. There are a number of approvals for Kentucky listed, but Clearview is not one of them. Hmmm.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SD Mapman

Since when does South Dakota use Clearview? I've only ever seen it municipally used (Spearfish, Rapid City, Sioux Falls).
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

J N Winkler

Quote from: SD Mapman on September 13, 2015, 10:23:35 AMSince when does South Dakota use Clearview? I've only ever seen it municipally used (Spearfish, Rapid City, Sioux Falls).

I have not seen any evidence of Clearview use by SDDOT, and I monitor their construction plans sets.

Besides SD, here is my list of possible corrections:

VT:  I see Clearview used only for large panel signs for freeways.  Small panel signs continue to use the FHWA alphabet series.

ID:  I see only the FHWA series used on ITD infrastructure.

In regard to an impending phaseout of Clearview, I am starting to see signs it may be getting underway in Illinois.  IDOT advertised a sign replacement contract, 46337, in the last couple of months that has a number of panels (though not all of them) with the FHWA alphabet series instead of Clearview.  Also, in the case of South Carolina, SCDOT's last signing contract was for tourist signing in the Myrtle Beach vicinity and it includes some green-background panels with Series E Modified instead of Clearview.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.