News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2022 Philadelphia, PA National Road Meet (August 20-21, 2022)

Started by roadwaywiz95, November 08, 2021, 02:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Dan, Jessica and I are for sure on Day 1.  We are going to go see my cousin out in Toms River on Sunday. 

J3ebrules

I intend to be there both days, but not for the ballgame.
Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike - they’ve all come to look for America! (Simon & Garfunkel)

Alps

Quote from: J3ebrules on July 01, 2022, 11:47:47 PM
then no one will be buying you some peanuts or cracker jack

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Alps on July 02, 2022, 10:46:07 AM

at least we don't have to care if he ever gets back
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Dougtone

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 02, 2022, 08:23:18 PM

And he won't be root, root, rooting for the home team. Although in fairness, neither will I, because I'm already a fan of their opponents for that game.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Dougtone on July 02, 2022, 08:46:23 PM

And he won't be root, root, rooting for the home team. Although in fairness, neither will I, because I'm already a fan of their opponents for that game.

The bigger question for me is whether it is safe for me to even be there as a Braves fan.  I hear that the Phillies fans are crazy.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alps

Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 02, 2022, 09:31:40 PM

The bigger question for me is whether it is safe for me to even be there as a Braves fan.  I hear that the Phillies fans are crazy.
Not when they're doing badly in the season. Source: Mets fan at Philles vs. Mets.

kevinb1994

Jags fans are crazy like Phils fans are. Hint: Not when they suck.

Sincerely,

A Damn Yankee from the Southside

I'm out, btw

J3ebrules

If they don't win, it's not a shame. Both teams suck.

Love,

A Yankees fan 😘
Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike - they’ve all come to look for America! (Simon & Garfunkel)

Max Rockatansky

I'm just a Tigers fan, I have literally no vested interest aside from enjoying a game.

jeffandnicole

You'll be fine.  The Eagles fans are quite a bit crazier.  Baseball is much more of a family event, so there really isn't any issues.  The few times an issue does crop up it's an isolated incident, much like one you'll see occur from time to time at any ballpark.

Brandon

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 03, 2022, 12:17:13 AM
I'm just a Tigers fan, I have literally no vested interest aside from enjoying a game.

Likewise, and for the same reason.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

baugh17

Quote from: roadwaywiz95 on June 28, 2022, 09:39:29 AM
As we're now inside two months to go before Meet Weekend, I would like to start to encourage folks to decide their attendance status for either day of the weekend more definitively

I am officially declaring myself as out due to recent personal events and (as previously mentioned) the weekend falls on my wife and I's wedding anniversary.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 03, 2022, 01:16:20 AM

You'll be fine.  The Eagles fans are quite a bit crazier.  Baseball is much more of a family event, so there really isn't any issues.  The few times an issue does crop up it's an isolated incident, much like one you'll see occur from time to time at any ballpark.

He'll be fine because I won't be there. Then again, I haven't attended a Phillies game since the Vet was torn down.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

signalman

I intend to wear Mets gear to the game with little fear of an altercation arising.

Takumi

I'm not going to the meet, but if I did, I'd be wearing Orioles gear. Just too bad I don't have anything from "˜83. I guess I could wear it in Joburg, but nobody would know what it is.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

roadwaywiz95

This weekend will feature the second of two special "Meet Preview" *live* webinars that will profile the Philadelphia metro area in preparation for Meet Weekend in August. These presentations will be hosted by yours truly and will feature contributions from folks across the AARoads Forum spectrum, many of whom will be in attendance for portions/all of the weekend itself.

This "Part 2" presentation will focus on the New Jersey suburbs and will be broadcast *live* on the 'roadwaywiz' YouTube channel on Saturday 7/9 at 6 PM ET. Whether you're a newcomer to Philly metro, or in need of a quick refresher course, we hope you can join us!

Link to YouTube Webinar:
Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

roadwaywiz95

Some information for you folks regarding the Saturday evening ballgame:

New York Mets @ Philadelphia Phillies
First pitch: 7:15 PM ET, Citizens Bank Park

A few months ago, I bought a block of (20) tickets in Section 413 for our purposes. As of right now, I have 4 tickets available in this block for interested folks. There are lots of seats available elsewhere and all around the ballpark in case we need more, but I'd like to make sure this initial block sells out and that I have a good idea of how many more seats we need to secure come game time. Please make your voice heard (or drop me a line privately) if you'd like to be included in the attendance roster for the game. (We'll figure out the carpooling/transport aspect of this at a later date.)
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

Alps

Quote from: roadwaywiz95 on July 11, 2022, 07:48:52 PM
Some information for you folks regarding the Saturday evening ballgame:

New York Mets @ Philadelphia Phillies
First pitch: 7:15 PM ET, Citizens Bank Park

A few months ago, I bought a block of (20) tickets in Section 413 for our purposes. As of right now, I have 4 tickets available in this block for interested folks. There are lots of seats available elsewhere and all around the ballpark in case we need more, but I'd like to make sure this initial block sells out and that I have a good idea of how many more seats we need to secure come game time. Please make your voice heard (or drop me a line privately) if you'd like to be included in the attendance roster for the game. (We'll figure out the carpooling/transport aspect of this at a later date.)
I'd note that you're best off parking north of the city square and taking the subway in.

Brandon

I'll be there for Saturday, but I think I'll pass on the ballgame.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Great Lakes Roads

I'll be there on both days, but I and my dad are going to pass on the baseball game on Saturday night.

roadwaywiz95

Well folks, we're a month away from Meet Weekend. Here are a few housekeeping items for you to consider:

DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE FRIDAY NIGHT POOL PARTY! If you're in the area on Friday, feel free to stop by and say hello! Jeff has already chimed in with respect to the party's parameters, but I'm sure he'll have more to say if necessary.

The iteniaries for both days of the weekend have been completed and will be posted on August 1. On that day, you'll get access to the full meet guides for both Saturday & Sunday, plus guides for the pre-meet events on both days. There will also be "printer friendly" versions ("printer friendly" = 0 photos) of each guide made available, making for a total of (8) files for you to check out.

I do still have (2) tickets for the Phillies game on Saturday night that have not yet been claimed - if you think you'd like to join us, please get in touch! Each ticket is valued at $35 and that does not include anything else, i.e. parking, concessions. Due to the parking situation, we'll need to figure out a carpooling/mass transit system for those of us attending the game, but that will be addressed as we get closer to game day.

The rundown at the top of this thread remains a good, current summary of what to expect over the weekend. (I did just tweak the Day 2 summary slightly to add one tour highlight.) We're in good shape as far as the restaurants for both days are concerned, so there's not a lot left to account for on the planning side of things. As far as you're concerned, the pair of Webinars I broadcasted over on YouTube devoted to Philadelphia-area roads/bridges are linked to in the thread above in case anyone missed them and/or wants to re-watch them as part of their orientation/preparation for the weekend.

In closing, I am very excited to see what this Meet Weekend is going to look like for real. As we start to approach the 25th anniversary of the first "official" road meet (which was held out in the Pittsburgh area once upon a time) and we continue to emerge from the COVID-19 pandemic, my hope is that this upcoming event will be seen as a celebration of the road enthusiast community & hobby as a whole, its history and evolution over the years, and all we have to look forward to in the future. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing everyone and sharing one of my favorite American cities with you folks.

Stay cool, and keep on enjoying your summer.

tckma

First time logging into AARoads forums in ... good gorb, at least two years.  And I see a road meet in my backyard.  I'm Interested; I moved to Manayunk in October and now live within walking distance from the Bridge Trail (on the Philly side).

Skimmed the thread.

As for the Sunday pre-meet, parking in that area is awful.  Street parking is available, but good luck finding an available space.  If I attend, I'll walk from my place (3 blocks from the bridge), and then pick up my car afterward to head to Oregon Diner.  My driveway was advertised as having space for four cars, in reality it's more like two.  I *might* be able to offer up my spare spot.  I don't know if that's the week my sister-in-law is visiting from CT, though, so her car might be taking that spot up.

The Manayunk Bridge trail head is at the intersection of DuPont St and High St.  There is a SMALL parking lot there, but since it's free, it is ALWAYS full.  St. David's Episcopal Church is two blocks away and has a small parking lot which usually has spaces, but given this event is scheduled for a SUNDAY MORNING, and they have Mass at 9am, that might not work.  Greater Mount Zion FBH Church is across the road from the bridge trailhead, and they have a parking lot behind them, but again, Sunday morning.  There's a pay-to-park lot on Green Lane between Main St. and Baker St.  I had the misfortune of parking there and having trouble paying since it's now online payments only, the scan-to-pay QR code doesn't work, and their website is horrid.

roadwaywiz95

andrepoiy

Perhaps an even more condensed version with only directions might also be useful, especially in the complex turning movements

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.