SWPA25 Road Enthusiast Meet

Started by PAHighways, February 15, 2024, 08:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAHighways

What:  SWPA25
When:  May 4 at 11 AM
Where:  Luciano's Italian Brick Oven in White Oak on PA 48 (Orange Belt)

This year marks a quarter-century since the first recorded road enthusiast meet took place in Greensburg, Pennsylvania, which was hosted by Bruce Cridlebaugh, Webmaster of Bridges & Tunnels of Allegheny County and Pittsburgh, PA.  The actual anniversary is not that far away on February 27.

While we'll be focusing on the section of the Mon-Fayette Expressway that is currently under construction during the tour, the lunch portion of the event will take place at a restaurant close to the path of the cancelled North-South Parkway (a.k.a. the "New 48").  During that part of the event, we will be treated to a speaker from the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission.  Time permitting, we can also check out the Elizabeth and Boston bridges and if anyone is game, and since this is the first Pittsburgh area meet since the collapse, the new Fern Hollow Bridge.

Details, including information about lunch, are available at https://www.pahighways.com/meets/.  You may RSVP there or via the event page on Facebook, but please do so by April 20 so I can give the restaurant a head count.  Since lunch will be pizza, if anyone has any dietary restrictions I need to know of, let me know ahead of time, so I can make arrangements with the restaurant.

Due to the changing roadway closures in the future right-of-way, the agenda with directions will not be posted until closer to the day of the event.  When they are uploaded to the web page, I will post an update.

Dougtone

I'm a possibility, but haven't decided for sure yet. It's more that I need to make sure that weekend is free and clear first. If I can make it, it would be an honor and an esteemed privilege to attend the 25th anniversary meet.

That being said, I do like the idea of a fixed menu. Anything to minimize time trying to pay for meals is always appreciated.

Alps

Is it fair to assume that lunch can be made optional?

PAHighways

Quote from: Dougtone on February 16, 2024, 03:00:53 PMThat being said, I do like the idea of a fixed menu. Anything to minimize time trying to pay for meals is always appreciated.

In order to reserve the private room, I'd have had to pick four entrĂ©es from a list of 11 options, or what they call the "Pizza Party" package.  Much like putting the meet date up to a vote, I wouldn't get a consensus on the meals, and a vote would push the announcement back further than it was already.  I figured almost everyone likes pizza, and since we only get the room for 2 hours, it will be easier on the kitchen staff as well.

If I had my druthers, I'd just let everyone pick what they wanted to eat off their extensive menu according to their tastes, budget, and any dietary issues.  Speaking from personal experience, I've never not had a bad meal there.

PAHighways

Quote from: Alps on February 16, 2024, 09:17:41 PMIs it fair to assume that lunch can be made optional?

Yes

Rothman

Quote from: PAHighways on February 17, 2024, 12:18:00 PM
Quote from: Alps on February 16, 2024, 09:17:41 PMIs it fair to assume that lunch can be made optional?

Yes
I prefer lunch to be mandatory and the upmost punishments be meted out for noncompliance.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

Lunch is where the really fun conversation occurs, anyway...

Alps

Quote from: froggie on February 18, 2024, 12:10:36 AM
Lunch is where the really fun conversation occurs, anyway...

I more meant that I could attend without physically eating there.

jpi

At this point I should be good for that weekend since I will be in the Harrisburg area the weekend before, looking forward to it!  :nod:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

74/171FAN

Quote from: jpi on February 20, 2024, 09:44:26 AM
At this point I should be good for that weekend since I will be in the Harrisburg area the weekend before, looking forward to it!  :nod:

I may actually be in Harrisburg on a weekend you are here for once considering that April 27th is between Charlotte and SWPA.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Laura

We three are in. I would need gluten-free pizza, though - is that a possibility?
Also, would we have to pay the full price for Rainey?

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

signalman

Assuming that my boss approves my time off request, (I gave him more than sufficient notice, so I see no reason why it would be denied) I plan on being there.

ccurley100

I will be there with with my wife and child.

Great Lakes Roads

I will be there with my dad.

PAHighways

Quote from: Laura on March 01, 2024, 01:47:50 PM
We three are in. I would need gluten-free pizza, though - is that a possibility?
Also, would we have to pay the full price for Rainey?

They do offer a children's menu for groups:  spaghetti with a meatball, penne with a meatball, gnocchi, 2 chicken tenders with fries, and junior 1 topping pizza.  The pasta dishes are all $9 and the latter two are $9.50.

I will let them know about a GF option for the pizza and ask if a drink is included with the children's menu offerings on Tuesday as they are closed on Mondays and let you know.

PAHighways

Since today marks one month out from the meet, I contacted the restaurant to keep them abreast of the total attendees I have and pass along questions I have received.

The person who usually handles groups was off when I made the reservation back in February, and the person whom I spoke with at the time said separate checks would be doable.  The regular person is now back and informed me that has now changed, so if you are having lunch which is $17.50/person, please bring $20/person because it will be all on one check.  Since gratuity is not added onto the bill automatically, the change can be the serving staff's tip.

Steve:  She said it is fine if you don't want to have lunch, as it won't count against the total attendees needed for the room.  You are welcome to purchase a beverage if you so choose.

Laura:  We spoke about GF options, and she said that you can order off their regular lunch menu, and they can make it gluten-free.  Same goes for Rainey, as you may order anything off the regular menu for her.

If anyone has any other questions about lunch, let me know and I will pass them along to the restaurant.

andrepoiy

Interesting. I might attend given that it's within a weekend trip range

Roadgeek Adam

Hate having to do this, but I am withdrawing from SWPA25 due to financial concerns. At this point, after 4/22 I'm working every day until further notice and as is have worked 15 of the last 16 days and still have the 10 days up to that to work.

Unless people want to help me get out of this financial hole, I doubt it, I just can't swing it.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Alps

There's a Pirates game the Friday night before that I would happily attend. I've heard the park is a wonderful experience. If anyone wants to join me please text, email or otherwise drop me a line so we can get tickets together!

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alps on April 19, 2024, 12:39:29 PMThere's a Pirates game the Friday night before that I would happily attend. I've heard the park is a wonderful experience. If anyone wants to join me please text, email or otherwise drop me a line so we can get tickets together!

It's doubtful I'll make it to this meet, but you heard right. If you or others can take in a game here, do so. And upper deck seating between 1st and 3rd will give you a wonderful view of the bridges, river and city skyline.

Also, Fatheads beer has a large gazebo-type bar area behind left-center field. One of my favorite breweries.

Rothman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 19, 2024, 02:44:02 PM
Quote from: Alps on April 19, 2024, 12:39:29 PMThere's a Pirates game the Friday night before that I would happily attend. I've heard the park is a wonderful experience. If anyone wants to join me please text, email or otherwise drop me a line so we can get tickets together!

It's doubtful I'll make it to this meet, but you heard right. If you or others can take in a game here, do so. And upper deck seating between 1st and 3rd will give you a wonderful view of the bridges, river and city skyline.

Also, Fatheads beer has a large gazebo-type bar area behind left-center field. One of my favorite breweries.

Between 1st and 3rd?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Rothman on April 19, 2024, 04:28:48 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 19, 2024, 02:44:02 PM

Between 1st and 3rd?

Yeah. That's what the call the seating area in the infield area.

Rothman

I'm up for it.  I have "otherwised dropped you a line" elsewhere.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.