News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on April 17, 2023, 04:26:39 AM
https://goo.gl/maps/M6K5XXSsrzKUKkREA
Why is there a NO LEFT TURN prohibition here? It's a one way into a two way street.

Plus why is the ramp to NJ Route 495 EB now closed ?

I'd guess that there isn't enough room for traffic to queue which results in intersection functionality problems, not to mention potentially backing the ramp up onto the mainline. As for the on-ramp, I'd bet it's something similar.

NE2

It's two parallel one-ways that probably get green at the same time.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: famartin on April 17, 2023, 04:30:37 AM
Why is there a NO LEFT TURN prohibition here? It's a one way into a two way street.

I'd guess that there isn't enough room for traffic to queue which results in intersection functionality problems, not to mention potentially backing the ramp up onto the mainline. As for the on-ramp, I'd bet it's something similar.
gridlock central yes

plain

NE2 correctly gave the reason for the NO LEFT TURN. As far as the AUTHORIZED VEHICLES ONLY for the on ramp, the ramp created too many problems for traffic queueing at The Helix.
Newark born, Richmond bred

chrisg69911

Quote from: famartin on April 17, 2023, 04:30:37 AM

The ramp backs up onto 495 regardless. Sometimes 2 out of the 3 lanes are standstill and only the third lane gets by because cars double-stack to get off, even though only 1 lane is supposed to exit.

roadman65

A throwback of when I-95 was in Lawrence Township.

Exit numbers have changed since as I-295 has different mileposts than previous I-95.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/kd9eF8Bowze5ucf36
I know that NJ 24 does lead to Interstate 287, but is it really needed on this particular guide located at a crossover from express to local in Union?

Also considering that 19 miles further the straight through freeway encounters I-287 in Bedminster, it can be misleading especially if someone is looking to head south on I-287 for Somerville or Piscataway.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on April 25, 2023, 04:43:12 PM
I know that NJ 24 does lead to Interstate 287, but is it really needed on this particular guide located at a crossover from express to local in Union?

Also considering that 19 miles further the straight through freeway encounters I-287 in Bedminster, it can be misleading especially if someone is looking to head south on I-287 for Somerville or Piscataway.

I'd guess this is another example of hold-over signage from a time when it was relevant to when now, when its not exactly. In this case, because for some time 24 didn't go all the way to 287, and then finally in the early 90s, it was finished, I'd guess they wanted to emphasize its completion all the way to 287 at one time. At this point, its no longer necessary and as you point out, possibly confusing.

storm2k

If you're going northbound on 287 past Morristown, taking 24 from that spot makes more sense. Same reason they show 78 on the signs southbound on 287 at Exit 37.

amroad17

Quote from: storm2k on April 25, 2023, 08:16:11 PM

If you're going northbound on 287 past Morristown, taking 24 from that spot makes more sense. Same reason they show 78 on the signs southbound on 287 at Exit 37.
This is a good spot to have a "TO NORTH I-287"  on the NJ 24 sign and a "TO SOUTH I-287"  on the I-78 sign, although it may be a case of "taking the long way around"  concerning I-287 South.  Likewise, a "TO WEST I-78"  could be helpful on the I-287 sign.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

famartin

From the point of this sign for 24 WEST, the fastest way to the northern 36 miles (Exits 30 to 66) of I-287 is by way of 24. Heading west on 78 is only the fastest route to a middle 14 mile stretch (Exits 12 to 26). Anywhere south of 12, its faster to get off of 78 and take local roads.

So, in THAT sense, "TO I-287" makes sense. That said, I still feel its a hold-over from when 24 was extended to 287, and they wanted to advertise it.

bzakharin

Quote from: famartin on April 25, 2023, 10:39:52 PM
From the point of this sign for 24 WEST, the fastest way to the northern 36 miles (Exits 30 to 66) of I-287 is by way of 24. Heading west on 78 is only the fastest route to a middle 14 mile stretch (Exits 12 to 26). Anywhere south of 12, its faster to get off of 78 and take local roads.

So, in THAT sense, "TO I-287" makes sense. That said, I still feel its a hold-over from when 24 was extended to 287, and they wanted to advertise it.
NJ has TO signs to much more illogical routes than this one. My favorite is I-195 which is TO NJ 138 Eastbound and TO NJ 29 westbound the whole way despite the state routes being relatively minor in the grand scheme of things. And signing those is a relatively recent development, one that was not linked with any work done on any of the roads involved or new connections being built. On the other hand, NJ 24 freeway's main purpose is to connect I-287 and I-78.

famartin

Quote from: bzakharin on April 27, 2023, 04:24:16 PM
Quote from: famartin on April 25, 2023, 10:39:52 PM

NJ has TO signs to much more illogical routes than this one. My favorite is I-195 which is TO NJ 138 Eastbound and TO NJ 29 westbound the whole way despite the state routes being relatively minor in the grand scheme of things. And signing those is a relatively recent development, one that was not linked with any work done on any of the roads involved or new connections being built. On the other hand, NJ 24 freeway's main purpose is to connect I-287 and I-78.

That's true, but in 195's case, it's an obvious case of a relatively recent signing practice change. 287 has been signed at 78 for 24 westbound for close to 30 years, I think.

roadman65

It’s better than the previous signing which in the late eighties signed Exit 48 as NJ 24/124 WEST as if the two routes were concurrent.

But yes, Exit 48 should be signed TO NORTH 287.

However, recently at Exit 29 for I-287 the NB guide for I-287 removed  the NORTH header for US 202/ 206 because the interchange north of I-78 for the US routes has access to both directions as before the grand scheme was for SB US 202/206 to head south on 287 to Exit 17 where it accesses it all going that way only as no one thought of Pluckemin or Bridgewater traffic in between.

Ditto on the aforementioned in Mansfield on I-295 at Rising Sun Road eliminating the south only banner on US 206 because access to both directions are possible via Rising Sun even though staying on I-295 for one more exit to US 130  is the way to US 206 NB for Bordentown and Hamilton and is still signed for it.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on April 27, 2023, 05:59:54 PM
It's better than the previous signing which in the late eighties signed Exit 48 as NJ 24/124 WEST as if the two routes were concurrent.

However, recently at Exit 29 for I-287 the NB guide for I-287 removed  the NORTH header for US 202/ 206 because the interchange north of I-78 for the US routes has access to both directions as before the grand scheme was for SB US 202/206 to head south on 287 to Exit 17 where it accesses it all going that way only as no one thought of Pluckemin or Bridgewater traffic in between.

Ditto on the aforementioned in Mansfield on I-295 at Rising Sun Road eliminating the south only banner on US 206 because access to both directions are possible via Rising Sun even though staying on I-295 for one more exit to US 130  is the way to US 206 NB for Bordentown and Hamilton and is still signed for it.

56 on 295 should have "to"  banners, but they appear to have space restrictions on that sign, so we're stuck with what we got.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: famartin on April 27, 2023, 08:14:05 PM
It's better than the previous signing which in the late eighties signed Exit 48 as NJ 24/124 WEST as if the two routes were concurrent.

56 on 295 should have "to"  banners, but they appear to have space restrictions on that sign, so we're stuck with what we got.

Both signs aren't really great.

https://goo.gl/maps/qfrESPjKLknX9UUe6

The Exit 56 sign could be as tall as the Exit 57 sign, and that would allow it to incorporate "TO". 

Traffic needing to get to the NJ Turnpike Exit 7 needs to take Exit 56, then makes a left onto a connector roadway, then turns North onto 206 North for a brief moment.  Except, Exit 57 reads 206 North, which isn't accurate at that location as you're only on 130 North there. 

Both signs could use a little revamping, which we know will never occur.

BTW, since we're in the general vicinity, there's a new roundabout on Dunns Mills Road, just south of 130.  In fact, NJDOT took their maintenance yard and made a whole big training yard here.  The GSV dated Sept 2022 is apparently just old enough not to show the finished product...I'll have to get some pics of this area soon.  https://goo.gl/maps/gDM8e6q5ZDuuPTTTA

famartin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 27, 2023, 11:26:34 PM

The Exit 56 sign could be as tall as the Exit 57 sign, and that would allow it to incorporate "TO". 

Traffic needing to get to the NJ Turnpike Exit 7 needs to take Exit 56, then makes a left onto a connector roadway, then turns North onto 206 North for a brief moment.  Except, Exit 57 reads 206 North, which isn't accurate at that location as you're only on 130 North there. 

BTW, since we're in the general vicinity, there's a new roundabout on Dunns Mills Road, just south of 130.  In fact, NJDOT took their maintenance yard and made a whole big training yard here.  The GSV dated Sept 2022 is apparently just old enough not to show the finished product...I'll have to get some pics of this area soon.  https://goo.gl/maps/gDM8e6q5ZDuuPTTTA

56 is interesting as its literally the only connection to a turnpike junction along 295 which doesn't feature the "TO" for the NJTP...

I'd wonder if there was a wind resistance or weight restriction on that gantry, but the presence of an entirely sign panel to the left of the 57 suggests otherwise.

Maybe there's a restriction on number of lines of information... there's already 3, "TO" would make it 4, unless it was placed on the left.

Another oddity is that there is no mention of how to get to 130 southbound anywhere, though the answer is also exit 56, which would make the ideal signage there "TO SOUTH 130/206 "TO 95/NJTP "TO 68"

jeffandnicole

Quote from: famartin on April 27, 2023, 11:43:25 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 27, 2023, 11:26:34 PM

56 is interesting as its literally the only connection to a turnpike junction along 295 which doesn't feature the "TO" for the NJTP...

I'd wonder if there was a wind resistance or weight restriction on that gantry, but the presence of an entirely sign panel to the left of the 57 suggests otherwise.

Maybe there's a restriction on number of lines of information... there's already 3, "TO" would make it 4, unless it was placed on the left.

Another oddity is that there is no mention of how to get to 130 southbound anywhere, though the answer is also exit 56, which would make the ideal signage there "TO SOUTH 130/206 "TO 95/NJTP "TO 68"

It wouldn't be fully accurate to put To South 130/206, as that would leave a void of sorts on 130 and 206 between the area of Exit 56 and 57 as one may need to access 130/206 North to get to that area, but the conflicting signage doesn't suggest that's a possible movement.

roadman65

Doesn't Rising Sun Road have a RIRO intersection with US 130? Therefore no access to US 130 south anyway.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on April 28, 2023, 02:06:27 PM
Doesn't Rising Sun Road have a RIRO intersection with US 130? Therefore no access to US 130 south anyway.
Good catch. Missed that.

roadman65

That Exit 56 sign should nix the NJ 68 shield as that really isn't needed. The Joint Base control is what's important and you could add the word " TO"  on the panel.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/tutdmjRvSFAkASe86
Interesting Route shields here. Looks like the circle diameter is bigger than the norm leaving a smaller black border surface area.

Also what’s up with this?
https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/uploads/comm/news/details/comm_np_20220318_152959_GordonStBridgetobeclosedforreplacementprojectinRoselleParkUnionCounty.pdf

Why is both borough and state replacing a bridge that goes over an abandoned rail line that’s never going to be used again?  Wouldn’t it be better just rebuild the road at grade and not build a bridge over nothing?

Sheryl Crowe

BrianP

What if the road from Tuckerton to Atlantic City was built?
QuoteThe main reason the road never connected Ocean and Atlantic counties was because of the Shooting Thorofare splitting Little Egg Harbor and Little Beach.

"When they reached Shooting Thorofare, they realized the water was too deep and it was too far to build two more additional bridges over this water to reach Brigantine and Atlantic City," Able said. "There's 40 feet of water right off the edge, so this is not a simple exercise."

Moreover, the Little Egg Inlet, which the thorofare is a part of, is volatile.

"It failed because the state felt the shifting inlet was too precarious. The Little Egg Inlet has been moving through a cycle of three distinct locations since at least 1600," said Norman Goos of the Atlantic County Historical Society.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/bEsYoxgsRbfkqLxQ6
What are these? The large concrete structure on both sides of Route 36 and both sides of the Shrewsbury River, that is along with the route number written at the base.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on May 03, 2023, 01:41:47 AM
https://goo.gl/maps/bEsYoxgsRbfkqLxQ6
What are these? The large concrete structure on both sides of Route 36 and both sides of the Shrewsbury River, that is along with the route number written at the base.
Tombstones.

They just look like decorative elements to me.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.