New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLAVORTOWN

Man, I must be the only weirdo that doesnt like backplates anywhere. To me, the signs look so much cleaner and better with no backplates, even on county route shields.

jeffandnicole

Back before GSV was a thing, Delaware would occasionally post shields with backplates, and occasionally post shields without, to a point where I thought there was some sort of meaning behind them.  There were numerous instances, but one I remember in the 1990's was on US 40 near DE 1 & 7, where one had it and one didn't.  At the time DE 1 was a new freeway there.  I can't recall which one had the backplate, but I also recall it didn't really match up with other shields in the general vicinity.

In reality, I think it was just Delaware being Delaware at the time, and they just put one route shield up with a backplate, and one without.

vdeane

Quote from: FLAVORTOWN on May 21, 2023, 12:00:44 AM
Man, I must be the only weirdo that doesnt like backplates anywhere. To me, the signs look so much cleaner and better with no backplates, even on county route shields.
You're not the only one - I feel the same way!

I don't think I've had any trouble reading any of the county route shields on guide signs in NY, even though we don't use the backplates here.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

artmalk

Although the backplates were somewhat unique in NJ, I think the new signs without them look better.  I know this may be a minority view but I think even the county pentagons look better without the yellow backplate.

roadman65

The Garden State Parkway used them at some locations and not at others like DelDOT. 

The Parkway always had different signs than NJDOT did and realized it a long time ago when the exit tabs used to only feature a number only where as other roads were standard.  However, the former NJHA did use non back plates long before the MUTCD amended its signing practice.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Well the MUTCD wants positive and negative contrast, and the backplate becomes dark on dark, which isn't a contrast, so out it shall go.

famartin

Quote from: Alps on May 22, 2023, 11:32:02 PM
Well the MUTCD wants positive and negative contrast, and the backplate becomes dark on dark

Except its not dark on dark for CR's

ixnay

Quote from: roadman65 on May 07, 2023, 06:14:55 AM
https://goo.gl/maps/VM92VoRtgubNLbos9
Interesting shield. Virginia once used these.

And the font on the route number is akin to Clearview.
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

roadman65

Morristown needs to have its main square shields updated as many have been removed over the course of time. On the SE corner there used to be a US 202 shield telling motorists to turn left from the beginning of present day NJ 124. It fell off but the arrow remains.

On the NE corner where CR 510 EB leaves the square the NB US 202 shield is on the far corner out of sight almost and could use another on the near corner. Plus no mention of CR 510 EB heading east on Morris Street and the guide for Whipppany and Florham Park is been long gone at that location as well.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeek Adam

I get why they were canned, but I loved the backplates and hate the white on green. It looks so empty. Of course, I grew up in Jersey so I am biased. Even black outlines would be an improvement.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

The Ghostbuster

Have people always referred to New Jersey as just Jersey? I always thought that was kind of odd.

famartin

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 25, 2023, 05:17:51 PM
Have people always referred to New Jersey as just Jersey? I always thought that was kind of odd.

Define "always". For a long time, for sure.

jeffandnicole

I occasionally do.  It's kinda an abbreviation that doesn't work with York, Hampshire or Mexico.   To expand that...

"When I'm leaving Jersey and entering PA, I'll take the North-South Freeway from 295 for a few miles then head over the Walt Whitman, jumping on the Schuylkill then take the Turnpike west".

famartin will know exactly what I'm talking about.  Someone else may not know what I'm talking about, then once you look at a map, you'll go, WTF man, you literally were only on one route the entire time. (I-76)  :-D

famartin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 25, 2023, 06:58:31 PM

I occasionally do.  It's kinda an abbreviation that doesn't work with York, Hampshire or Mexico.   To expand that...

"When I'm leaving Jersey and entering PA, I'll take the North-South Freeway from 295 for a few miles then head over the Walt Whitman, jumping on the Schuylkill then take the Turnpike west".

famartin will know exactly what I'm talking about.  Someone else may not know what I'm talking about, then once you look at a map, you'll go, WTF man, you literally were only on one route the entire time. (I-76)  :-D
😂

famartin

To elaborate a little on my reply, here's a verbatim line of dialogue from Star Trek in 1988, spoken by a women who had been cryogenically frozen, upon being asked where her children were born such that she might try to find living relatives:

"They were born in "˜caucus, that's in Jersey."
("˜Caucus is shorthand for Secaucus, tho not sure if I've ever heard anyone use that particular turn-of-phrase)

Rothman

I'm surprised no New Jerseyan has responded to this with a stereotypical Jersey response.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alps

Quote from: famartin on May 23, 2023, 02:45:37 AM
Quote from: Alps on May 22, 2023, 11:32:02 PM
Well the MUTCD wants positive and negative contrast, and the backplate becomes dark on dark

Except its not dark on dark for CR's
Right, CRs can have square backgrounds but we are trying to steer away from that through standardization

roadman65

I've been tracking the US 46/ NJ 3/ Valley Road interchange construction virtually and seen GSV hasn't captured it since 2021.

The map part shows the initial alignment of the new configuration but lacks and EB US 46 ramp to Valley Road or a WB entrance to US 46 from Valley Road. Either those ramps haven't been rebuilt or both Clove Road and Great Notch Road will be the permanent connection to and from the west?

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on May 30, 2023, 12:03:55 PM
I've been tracking the US 46/ NJ 3/ Valley Road interchange construction virtually and seen GSV hasn't captured it since 2021.

The map part shows the initial alignment of the new configuration but lacks and EB US 46 ramp to Valley Road or a WB entrance to US 46 from Valley Road. Either those ramps haven't been rebuilt or both Clove Road and Great Notch Road will be the permanent connection to and from the west?

I think this is the accepted design
https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/commuter/roads/rt46/pdf/Proposed_Improvement_Plan.pdf

roadman65

In Lawrence Township I noticed that US 1 Business is still signed to follow US 206 SB at the Brunswick Circle and a reassurance shield still remains along MLK Blvd in Trenton.

The circle is part of NJ DOT jurisdiction, so why haven't they removed these being that the route follows Strawberry Street into US 1 to terminate there? It's almost like the department thinks that the business route just replaced the alternate in it's entirety instead of it's decommissioning with a truncated replacement.

Sheryl Crowe

Dough4872

Quote from: roadman65 on June 01, 2023, 06:30:48 PM
In Lawrence Township I noticed that US 1 Business is still signed to follow US 206 SB at the Brunswick Circle and a reassurance shield still remains along MLK Blvd in Trenton.

The circle is part of NJ DOT jurisdiction, so why haven't they removed these being that the route follows Strawberry Street into US 1 to terminate there? It's almost like the department thinks that the business route just replaced the alternate in it's entirety instead of it's decommissioning with a truncated replacement.

The SLD and signage disagree with each other. This isn't the only place in New Jersey this happens. I know US 9 was rerouted and signed to follow the Garden State Parkway across Great Egg Harbor Bay after the Beesley's Point Bridge was demolished but the SLD still inventories US 9 following the roads to the removed bridge, with a gap in the route.

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on June 01, 2023, 06:30:48 PM

I heard a rumor that the city wanted the bus 1 signage to continue, but it fades away downtown southbound and is almost 100% absent northbound.

Honestly 1 bus in the city should be removed and 206 bus assigned to the current 206, with 206 realigned to follow 1 bus, 1, 129, 29 and 195 to the section near White Horse Circle. You could even completely remove it since 206 north of the circle is municipal already.

ixnay

This trailblazer has seen better days...

https://tinyurl.com/5xuc5rny

The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

famartin

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.