News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

FADED Beyond Recognition

Started by architect77, November 01, 2014, 09:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

Very faded plywood NM 93 shield I found driving west a few weeks ago off of I-40 exit 369 just west of the Texas state line near San Jon, NM.

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

mefailenglish

If you squint you might make out JCT US 29:

Not as bad but also badly faded:

PHLBOS

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 19, 2016, 01:39:49 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on August 19, 2016, 11:24:22 AM
Quote from: roadman on August 19, 2016, 11:16:31 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on August 19, 2016, 10:58:02 AM
The I-shields on these BGS' are literally screaming for replacements.

Yes, I'm aware that full-blown sign replacements are coming in the foreseeable future; but still.

Presumably, District 3 was supposed to replace those shields back in late 2014 - I've got a call into my District contact to see whether the work was actually done.   BTW, for some reason, those particular signs were retained under the Pike signing contracts were done in 1995-1996.
I know they were still up when I drove by them in the spring of 2015, and I believe they were still up when I drove by going the other way this May.
As of this past weekend, those faded I-shields are still there.

IIRC, those signs were erected just a year or two prior to the 1995-96 Pike sign replacement project; which is probably why they weren't touched during the later project.
As of this past Labor Day weekend, the I-shields for all the eastbound BGS' for Exit 10 (including the I-90 East pull-through) have been replaced.  The I-290/395 shields beyond the toll plaza were replaced as well.

The I-395 numerals are in Series D and the I-290 numerals are in Series C but widely spread apart.

All the shields for the westbound BGS' and the ones beyond the first split ramp for MA 12 South are unchanged.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

formulanone

Quote from: mefailenglish on August 26, 2016, 07:25:47 PM
Not as bad but also badly faded:

Is this one still standing? I thought all the Kodachrome US 41 shields were gone...

mefailenglish

Quote from: formulanone on September 06, 2016, 02:50:38 PM
Is this one still standing? I thought all the Kodachrome US 41 shields were gone...
No.  I took this on 12/26/2009 near Morriston.  Street View shows it's been replaced (though you can see it in the 2008 imagery).

Alex

Quote from: epzik8 on August 21, 2016, 04:39:11 PM
The Baltimore city portion of the Baltimore-Washington Parkway (Maryland Route 295) is maintained by the city itself. No upgrades have been performed on that segment, from the I-95 Russell Street interchange to the city-county line, since probably before the year 1960. The result is the presence of extremely old button copy signs. These signs are true relics. However, some of them are very faded:

I don't know what used to be on this sign.

Annapolis | Washington and three down arrows
2013 photo of the sign: https://www.aaroads.com/mid-atlantic/maryland295/md-295_sb_exit_038_02.jpg
I should have an older photo showing the text more legible in my archives.

JMAN_WiS&S

Sorry for the bump, I just noticed this the other day and thought it was worthy of a post. Here is an I-94 shield in Eau Claire WI that is extremely faded. Street view is outdated and the shield itself is becoming very faded. I wonder if the DOT forgot about this or hasn't done an replacement due to lack of any construction in the area  in a while. 4819 Golf Rd

https://goo.gl/maps/4UdDZd4rtou
Youtube, Twitter, Flickr Username: JMAN.WiS&S
Instagram username: jman.wissotasirens-signals

I am not an official representative or spokesperson for WisDOT. Any views or opinions expressed are purely my own based on my work experiences and do not represent WisDOTs views or opinions.

Buck87

Quote from: vtk on March 15, 2015, 08:52:53 PM
Quote from: 1 on March 15, 2015, 10:18:32 AM
Quote from: Gnutella on March 15, 2015, 04:34:44 AM
Last I saw, Kentucky has several faded brown signs on I-24. They're gradually turning green.

Copper?

I too have wondered if oxidation of copper is to blame for brown signs turning green. There's a spectacular example on US 23 northbound approaching OH 309. It's uneven, but becoming quite similar in color to the Statue Of Liberty.

Quote from: vtk on August 22, 2016, 01:45:16 PM

Did anyone (besides a GSV car) ever get a good photo of this before it got replaced?
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5732673,-83.0740453,3a,15y,25.76h,88.76t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sF_rhuUsWub18os5fIau1iA!2e0!5s20150901T000000!7i13312!8i6656
(US 23 NB, approaching OH 95 exit, Marion; street view 2015 Sep has old, faded sign; street view 2016 Jan has new sign)

Wow, have gone by that sign many times and never noticed that. It's so green it's easy to just assume it was green from the start.

bzakharin

7/8

Here's a sign for some museum on King St at Weber St in Waterloo, ON (the museum name is too faded to even read).

Here's two pretty faded signs for Hwy 7 and 401 on King St at Ottawa St in Kitchener, ON.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

7/8

A faded "16" on this sign for TCH 16 on TCH 16A in Yorkton, SK

freebrickproductions

This old directional sign on Sullivan Street in Madison, AL likely dates back to when Madison Boulevard (just beyond the sign) was still AL 20/ALT US 72:
Faded Directional Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Max Rockatansky

Way over exposed but some of the lettering is still visible, I can't make this one out:

IMG_6435 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

7/8

These two signs for Highway 3 at the south end of Highway 24 in Simcoe, ON are getting pretty faded.

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

mrsman

E.T. is on an official highway sign?

Life in Paradise

Back in the late 1990s, some advertising friend of Progressive's owner made a pitch to the company and also to the movie studio/Spielberg about using ET.  They would only allow ET to be used in safety type ads.  It was one of the dumbest advertising campaigns that I have ever seen.  I was a claims manager at Progressive back then, but didn't dare say anything about how lame it was, although everyone else had the same feeling.  Didn't know that they actually produced street signs.

SectorZ

Quote from: Life in Paradise on July 20, 2017, 09:42:15 AM
Back in the late 1990s, some advertising friend of Progressive's owner made a pitch to the company and also to the movie studio/Spielberg about using ET.  They would only allow ET to be used in safety type ads.  It was one of the dumbest advertising campaigns that I have ever seen.  I was a claims manager at Progressive back then, but didn't dare say anything about how lame it was, although everyone else had the same feeling.  Didn't know that they actually produced street signs.

Lamer than what they have now?

I worked in insurance, in claims, for years. I could tolerate any company but two. Progressive was one, and another over-advertiser who's company name is technically an acronym and not a lizard was the other.

plain

This is on VA 150 SB. The banner on the top says  (or at least SAID) TOLL. The circular shield says RMA (basically what's in my avatar)
https://goo.gl/maps/N24nDZrfJiS2

The I-95 shield is faded as well as both direction banners
https://goo.gl/maps/rosbjNWfjav

The blue is still recognizable but the red is gone
https://goo.gl/maps/XZMHPLpcF622
Newark born, Richmond bred

PHLBOS

Quote from: plain on July 20, 2017, 06:17:25 PMThe blue is still recognizable but the red is gone
I've seen plenty other examples of such.  For some reason; the red tends to fade earlier than the blue.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Roadsguy

This sign near Pittsburgh was recycled from a previous sign, and said previous sign's markings have bled through to the point where it's impossible to tell which is which just by looking at it. Is it a right-turn-only sign that used to be a no-right-turn sign, or vice versa? It's the former, but you'd never know by looking at it.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

JJBers

This must be from at least the 70's, because it's completely de-saturated.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

PHLBOS

Quote from: JJBers on July 24, 2017, 07:17:17 PM

This must be from at least the 70's, because it's completely de-saturated.

Mid-80s vintage; when reflectorized sheeting w/button-copy was ConnDOT's order of the day.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.