News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

The CE 2 Reevaluation for the PA 329 Cementon Bridge Replacement over the Lehigh River was posted on August 29th.  This bridge replacement puts PA 329 on a slightly new alignment and will remove the current Truck Route in the area that diverts you all the way down to US 22.

Another CE 2 Reevaluation for the replacement of the PA 183 SB (Schuylkill Ave) Bridge in reading over the Norfolk Southern Railroad was posted on August 29th as well.

PA 183 NB will temporarily be two-way to account for the detour on PA 183 SB.

QuoteThe recommended posted 0.6-mile car detour would utilize Greenwich Street, Front Street (SR 183 North) and Buttonwood Streets. The traffic pattern on Front Street would be temporarily changed from two lanes one direction northbound to one lane bidirectional flow. This is the shortest detour route and the preferred alternative by Reading Police and Fire Department to minimize the detour length and emergency access to the neighborhood

An updated CE 1b evaluation has also been posted for the US 422/PA 724 intersection realignment in Sinking Spring.

A CE 1a evaluation has been posted for safety improvements along the solo US 322 portion of the West Chester Bypass.

QuoteThe proposed scope of work includes vehicle and pedestrian safety improvements along a 2.87 mile stretch of West Chester Bypass (SR 322) in East Bradford and West Goshen Townships, Chester County.  The improvements begin at the intersection of Downingtown Pike and West Chester Bypass and continue east to the intersection with the SR 202 interchange. This corridor was identified as having a high frequency of angle, fixed-object, and rear-end crashes.  The following improvements to the corridor are proposed:

-Throughout Project Corridor
◦Narrowing of travel lanes from 12'-13' to 11' in areas along project corridor to ensure a minimum shoulder width of 5'. Slightly narrower shoulders (4') are present through intersections to accommodate turn lanes.
◦Installation of bicycle-tolerable shoulders and centerline rumble strips through project corridor
◦Replacement and addition of guide rail to Manual for Assessing Safety Hardware (MASH) standards with approved end treatments, removal of turndowns, and protection of bridge wing walls through the project corridor

-North New Street Intersection◦Replacement of existing signal mast arm and signals with new mast arms and signals including overhead street lighting on the northwest and southeast corners
◦Installation of curved guide rail at northwest corner dependent on placement of mast arm
◦Installation of retroreflective backplates on signals
◦Addition of exclusive left turn lanes from SR 322 onto New Street

-Pottstown Pike Interchange◦Removal of passing lanes from road segment 0520/0-1443 to 0521/1425 through pavement markings
◦Extension of the acceleration lane of the Pottstown Pike off-ramp to EB West Chester Bypass to 780' (plus 300' lane taper) through pavement markings
◦Extension of the deceleration lanes of the WB West Chester Bypass off-ramp to NB Pottstown Pike to 410' (plus 255' taper) through pavement markings
◦Implementation of wrong way countermeasures at the Pottstown Pike on- and off-ramps
◦Extension of guide rails along bridge abutment of Pottstown Pike overpass

-Penn Drive Overpass◦Installation of guide rail on the east and west sides of the southern bridge abutment

-Phoenixville Pike Intersection◦Replacement of mast arms to include overhead street lighting on all four corners of the intersection

- SR 202 Interchange◦Implementation of wrong way countermeasures at the bottom of the off-ramp from SR 202 North to SR 322 west

PennDOT - District 9 News: Route 4010 (17th Street) High Friction Surface Treatment to be Placed
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Roadgeekteen

I just went on vacation and spend a good ammount of time in Pennsylvania. State is great, but many of the highways, especially I-78, are in very rough shape.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

MATraveler128

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 31, 2022, 02:53:28 AM
I just went on vacation and spend a good ammount of time in Pennsylvania. State is great, but many of the highways, especially I-78, are in very rough shape.

When I went to Virginia a couple weeks ago, we took I-78 and it was being extensively worked on due to what appeared to have been widening going on west of Allentown. The freeway really could use a good widening due to all the trucks. At one point, we were slowed down to 35 mph behind a semi in one of the work zones. Although Pennsylvania is known for bad roads.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Ted$8roadFan

I wonder which route is better through PA: I-78, I-80, or I-84 to I-81.

Rothman

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on August 31, 2022, 07:25:49 AM
For what?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

74/171FAN

I would think that most people driving from MA to PA that want to get on I-81 would just take I-84.  I do not see much of a debate here.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Crown Victoria

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on August 31, 2022, 07:00:30 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 31, 2022, 02:53:28 AM

When I went to Virginia a couple weeks ago, we took I-78 and it was being extensively worked on due to what appeared to have been widening going on west of Allentown. The freeway really could use a good widening due to all the trucks. At one point, we were slowed down to 35 mph behind a semi in one of the work zones. Although Pennsylvania is known for bad roads.

Unfortunately, I-78 is not receiving a full six-lane widening in the section currently being reconstructed, only climbing lanes. Any other widening is simply to upgrade the road to current standards, not to provide more capacity. I agree that I-78 needs to be fully widened to six lanes (as does most of I-81), but it won't happen anytime soon.

The next I-78 segment to be reconstructed is from the Berks/Lehigh line to PA 100. Hopefully that section will be fully widened, but I'm not counting on it.

74/171FAN

^I doubt it considering that the right shoulder WB is now an exit-only lane for PA 100 NB.

I do remember hearing about a planned interchange at Adams Rd, but I do not remember hearing anything further about it recently.

Browne: State agrees to $374 million funding plan for I-78 work in Lehigh County, including new interchange  (Nov 26, 2019 at 8:23 pm)

He said about $394 million in federal and state money ― including about $20 million within Northampton County ― will be earmarked for I-78 projects in the two counties. The state made the decision to replace a 12-year plan that had $233 million earmarked for state and local road projects in both counties with the new, interstate project-only plan.

The numbers point to a 12-year funding increase of more than $160 million over what was previously anticipated.

If there was a downside in the news, Browne said it was that state and local road projects that previously were expected to get funds through the state's plan, would not.

"Some sacrifices had to be made,"  Browne said. "We see this as a significant win."

Tony Iannelli, president of the Greater Lehigh Valley Chamber of Commerce, applauded Browne's work.

But, he said, attention still must be paid to roads in outlying communities.

"We have had tremendous growth in this valley, which has led to increased traffic on state and local roads,"  Iannelli said.

He and Michelle Young, executive vice president for government and external affairs at the Chamber, were not aware of the new plan. Young said a prime example of a state road that needed attention was Route 22.

Becky Bradley, secretary of the Lehigh Valley Transportation Study, said she learned of the state decisions on its new 12-year plan in a confidential phone call late Tuesday.

She would not identify the caller. And she declined to comment on specifics outlined by Browne to the newspaper until she had seen the state's list herself.

She stressed that LVTS had its own, separate transportation plan. The two plans, she said, "work in tandem"  but PennDOT decisions on the state plan do not dictate decisions in the LVTS plan.

Beyond that, she said, LVTS receives federal transportation money separately from the state.

The most recent LVTS plan was completed near the end of September, Bradley said, when the federal fiscal year ended. It included, she said, "many, many underfunded needs."

The 12-year figures outlined by Browne involve an 80%-20% split of funding supplied by federal and state governments.

Earlier this year, officials revealed expectations of a statewide, massive cut in funds for local roads projects.

PennDOT's hand was forced by a welter of problems. They included the expiration of a five-year federal transportation funding plan and the reluctance of federal lawmakers to approve any larger, more sustainable source of money than the gasoline tax, which has not increased since 1993.

On Tuesday, Campbell, the PennDOT press secretary, said there was less transportation funding available across the board.

Pennsylvania, she said, has more than 1,300 miles of interstate highways. Twenty-four percent of statewide traffic is logged on the interstates.

In recent years, she said, "We had hoped for more robust investment from the federal government, and that has not happened."

The less-than-anticipated federal flow of money puts extra pressure on the state, according to Campbell. The need to keep interstates in good condition, she said, meant "we need to kind of realign how the funds we get are distributed locally."

The Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority, or SEPTA, announced last week that Richards, the PennDOT secretary, has been hired as SEPTA's next general manager. She will start in January.

A breakdown of Richards' approved 12-year spending plan, provided by Browne, showed that the vast majority of Lehigh County money ― about $336 million ― will be devoted to the stretch of I-78 between the Berks County line and the Route 100 interchange.

That work is to include rebuilding the road, a new interchange at Adams Road and reconstruction of the Route 100 interchange.

Another stretch of I-78 between Lehigh Street and the Route 309 South exit is slated for spending of about $20.8 million.

In Northampton County, the details released by Browne show that a stretch of I-78 between Easton Road and Route 33 will be the focus of about $20.5 million in spending.

The figures, Browne said, show that there is "a lot of need" in the Lehigh County section.

He called I-78 through western Lehigh County a very important corridor, and said he would defend targeting the stretch between Route 100 and Berks as "the biggest need."

74/171FAN

vdeane

Quote from: 74/171FAN on August 31, 2022, 08:38:43 AM

I would think that most people driving from MA to PA that want to get on I-81 would just take I-84.  I do not see much of a debate here.
Depends on where on I-81.  Getting directions from Google from a point on I-90 east of I-84 to a point on I-81 south of I-78, the suggested route is actually I-84/I-684/Saw Mill River Parkway/I-287/I-78, with I-84 to I-81 being about 12 minutes longer.  This is probably because I-84 travels a decent distance close to due north after the I-684 interchange.  Using I-684 all the way to I-287 is not much different.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

74/171FAN

Quote from: vdeane on August 31, 2022, 12:48:14 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on August 31, 2022, 08:38:43 AM

Depends on where on I-81.  Getting directions from Google from a point on I-90 east of I-84 to a point on I-81 south of I-78, the suggested route is actually I-84/I-684/Saw Mill River Parkway/I-287/I-78, with I-84 to I-81 being about 12 minutes longer.  This is probably because I-84 travels a decent distance close to due north after the I-684 interchange.  Using I-684 all the way to I-287 is not much different.

Fair point.  I would still think that most people would rather avoid the NYC area entirely, but with the newer Gov. Mario M. Cuomo Bridge being 8 lanes that probably helps the I-684/I-287/I-80 or I-78 route quite a bit.

74/171FAN

Note that I had to make a correction (bolded) to my 10:14 AM post from yesterday.

A CE 1b Reevaluation has been posted yesterday for a project adding a center-turn lane on PA 313 on a segment northwest of PA 611.  I remember PA 313 being very crowded between PA 309 and US 202 when I clinched it back in April so any relief would be helpful.

QuoteThis project involves the reconstruction and widening to add a center left turn lane on SR 0313 (Swamp Road) from just west of T-413 (Broad Street) to just west of the SR 0313 Bridge over the North Branch of the Neshaminy Creek and from approximately 2700 feet northwest of the SR 0313 intersection with SR 1016 (Ferry Road) to approximately 800 feet northwest of the SR 0313 intersection with SR 1016 (Ferry Road).  At all other locations between Broad Street and approximately 800 feet northwest of the SR 0313 intersection with SR 1016 (Ferry Road), a two lane section will be maintained and the roadway will be reconstructed. 

Storm water will be collected along SR 0313 in a closed system and managed through proposed storm water management facilities along the project corridor.

Two structures are to be replaced within the project limits:  One existing structure is an earth filled spandrel arch bridge over the North Branch of Neshaminy Creek and over the existing structure is a plank bridge over an Unnamed Tributary to North Branch of Neshaminy Creek.

Traffic signal improvements and the addition of left turn lanes on all approaches will be constructed at the SR 0313/SR 1010 (Stump Road) intersection.

PennDOT District 6 News: I-95 Lane Closures at Night Next Week for Roadway Construction in Delaware County

(For US 15) PennDOT District 3 News: Work on Route 15 Railroad Crossing in Winfield, Union County to Begin Next Week

PennDOT District 6 News: PennDOT to Begin Project to Repair 17 Bridges Across Philadelphia Region Damaged by Ida

(For US 22/US 322 at PA 34) PennDOT District 8 News: Traffic Switch Planned for Route 22 Bridge Project at Route 34 in Perry County

MATraveler128

Quote from: 74/171FAN on September 01, 2022, 07:51:00 AM
Note that I had to make a correction (bolded) to my 10:14 AM post from yesterday.

A CE 1b Reevaluation has been posted yesterday for a project adding a center-turn lane on PA 313 on a segment northwest of PA 611.  I remember PA 313 being very crowded between PA 309 and US 202 when I clinched it back in April so any relief would be helpful.

QuoteThis project involves the reconstruction and widening to add a center left turn lane on SR 0313 (Swamp Road) from just west of T-413 (Broad Street) to just west of the SR 0313 Bridge over the North Branch of the Neshaminy Creek and from approximately 2700 feet northwest of the SR 0313 intersection with SR 1016 (Ferry Road) to approximately 800 feet northwest of the SR 0313 intersection with SR 1016 (Ferry Road).  At all other locations between Broad Street and approximately 800 feet northwest of the SR 0313 intersection with SR 1016 (Ferry Road), a two lane section will be maintained and the roadway will be reconstructed. 

Storm water will be collected along SR 0313 in a closed system and managed through proposed storm water management facilities along the project corridor.

Two structures are to be replaced within the project limits:  One existing structure is an earth filled spandrel arch bridge over the North Branch of Neshaminy Creek and over the existing structure is a plank bridge over an Unnamed Tributary to North Branch of Neshaminy Creek.

Traffic signal improvements and the addition of left turn lanes on all approaches will be constructed at the SR 0313/SR 1010 (Stump Road) intersection.

I usually use PA 313 when traveling between the northern suburbs of Philly to the Lehigh Valley when I travel down that way. That section in Doylestown really does need safety improvements especially at Ferry Rd. I usually use the 276/476 combo on the Turnpike if traffic is bad.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Crown Victoria

Apparently some progress has been made detailing potential improvements to the I-81 corridor from Maryland to I-78. I don't recall seeing any of this being publicized in the media or discussed in this forum, but here it is.

https://www.i81southcentralpa.com/

Highlights include numerous interchange improvements, auxiliary lanes between interchanges (particularly around Carlisle), possible use of shoulders for travel lanes, and southbound only widening between I-78 and I-83.

Also...the plan includes studying a new direct interchange between I-81 and the PA Turnpike east of Carlisle AND a new interchange on the Turnpike west of Carlisle.

74/171FAN

I am not sure how I am about removing the PA 74 Exit (Exit 48), but if it is really doable to restripe the George Wade Bridge, I think it should be done ASAP.

Crown Victoria

Quote from: 74/171FAN on September 03, 2022, 01:16:37 PM
I am not sure how I am about removing the PA 74 Exit (Exit 48), but if it is really doable to restripe the George Wade Bridge, I think it should be done ASAP.

Agree on the George Wade Bridge restriping. Actually a good number of the potential projects should be relatively easy to do. There's not too many major undertakings planned, besides the potential widening mentioned above and the possible Turnpike interchange. The overall plan reminds me of Virginia's approach to improving I-81 (longer accel/decel lanes, auxiliary lanes, better signage and communication of road conditions) but with less widening (because PA).

As for that PA 74 interchange...I guess something had to go. There's a lot of interchanges in that area. I'm not familiar with the local traffic patterns in Carlisle other than US 11 between I-81 and the Turnpike and of course traveling past Carlisle on I-81 so I can't really say if losing that interchange is good or bad.

74/171FAN

One other thing worth mentioning is that I-81 SB may be reconfigured to make the I-83 exit/entrance be on the right instead of the left. 

It looks like the Exit 69 exit would also be served by the I-83 exit if this reconfiguration happens.

sbeaver44

Losing exit 48 kind of sucks for anyone in like, Dillsburg or Boiling Springs area connecting to South 81, but I suppose making the trade with a full PA 641 exit and a new direct turnpike interchange is worth it.

I have noticed a new road being built between PA 641 and PA 74 about 3/4 mile maybe out from I-81 called "Connector Road"

I wonder if this is to alleviate people who use the Target shopping center road to counteract the partial interchanges at Exits 48 and 49

Also, the NB merge from PA 34 (Exit 47) sucks...no merge area, and that light is long.  I always thought between 47-48 should be a third, exit only lane.

Turnpike absolutely needs a West Carlisle exit near Plainfield for all the warehouses.  It should remove some traffic off I-81 between Exits 44-52.  Imagine being a truck coming from Pittsburgh to one of the warehouses by PA 465/PA 641.  Having to either do all that backtracking around Carlisle now...or taking Exit 201/PA 997 down to PA 696/PA 641 seems like a pain.

I feel like a West Carlisle exit could also, if done right, benefit Newville residents who use the Turnpike.

Alps

Quote from: Crown Victoria on September 03, 2022, 12:54:09 PM
Apparently some progress has been made detailing potential improvements to the I-81 corridor from Maryland to I-78. I don't recall seeing any of this being publicized in the media or discussed in this forum, but here it is.

Highlights include numerous interchange improvements, auxiliary lanes between interchanges (particularly around Carlisle), possible use of shoulders for travel lanes, and southbound only widening between I-78 and I-83.

Also...the plan includes studying a new direct interchange between I-81 and the PA Turnpike east of Carlisle AND a new interchange on the Turnpike west of Carlisle.
I'll take the Carlisle interchange and widening BOTH sides of 81 please

Crown Victoria

Quote from: Alps on September 03, 2022, 10:59:58 PM
Quote from: Crown Victoria on September 03, 2022, 12:54:09 PM

I'll take the Carlisle interchange and widening BOTH sides of 81 please

Yes, it would be nice if both sides of I-81 were widened. But I guess we'll take what we can get at this point.

Looking at that potential I-81/Turnpike interchange, it's rather close to the existing Exit 52 so I'm not sure the configuration shown would work, at least not without C/D lanes. There's also the matter of the warehouse located immediately adjacent to that location. It will be interesting to see if the interchange actually gets built (years from now of course), and how it looks when it's finished, as no doubt the design will change between now and then (it's just some lines on a map now...).

Roadsguy

Quote from: sbeaver44 on September 03, 2022, 09:39:31 PM
Turnpike absolutely needs a West Carlisle exit near Plainfield for all the warehouses.  It should remove some traffic off I-81 between Exits 44-52.  Imagine being a truck coming from Pittsburgh to one of the warehouses by PA 465/PA 641.  Having to either do all that backtracking around Carlisle now...or taking Exit 201/PA 997 down to PA 696/PA 641 seems like a pain.

Between this and a direct Turnpike/81 connection, it's likely only one will be built any time soon. I think the direct connection is the much bigger need, though I'd love to see a western Carlisle exit connecting to PA 465.

Quote from: Crown Victoria on September 04, 2022, 08:20:02 AM
Yes, it would be nice if both sides of I-81 were widened. But I guess we'll take what we can get at this point.

While only southbound has a full widening lined up in the near future, northbound is still being considered for a peak-use left shoulder lane. I'd also prefer a true widening of both directions, but I'll take it.

I'll also note that I drive northbound I-81 into Lebanon County fairly regularly on my commute back from work in the Harrisburg area. I often see southbound in stop-and-go conditions, while northbound remains freely flowing (albeit dense and truck-heavy). This is in the evening outbound rush, mind you, when you'd expect it to be the other way around.

What's unclear is whether a fourth lane will be added between I-83 and Mountain Road, whether just southbound or in both directions. This is where a third lane was added a few years ago in both directions.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

74/171FAN

roadman65

Wow 74/171 didn't know it's a mortal sin to talk about Philly here.  Excuse me, like I'm the first to post like that and Pennsylvania is where Philly is at. I

It's not like I asked a question about Southern California here. Yes I am aware now of a Philly thread, but you made it sound like it was a major deal.  It's not that urgent to mention removal to another thread. Yeah, I admit it could have been posted there, but it's not that like hey it's go to be removed pronto.  Just a little friendly reminder will suffice such.  All you have to do is say " Just FYI we do have a Philly Thread and you could mention it there next time."
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on September 06, 2022, 05:25:29 PM
Wow 74/171 didn't know it's a mortal sin to talk about Philly here.  Excuse me, like I'm the first to post like that and Pennsylvania is where Philly is at. I

It's not like I asked a question about Southern California here. Yes I am aware now of a Philly thread, but you made it sound like it was a major deal.  It's not that urgent to mention removal to another thread. Yeah, I admit it could have been posted there, but it's not that like hey it's go to be removed pronto.  Just a little friendly reminder will suffice such.  All you have to do is say " Just FYI we do have a Philly Thread and you could mention it there next time."
It was moved because it was convenient to move. Just learn from it and move on.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.