News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARMOURERERIC

Curious at to why it is PA 699, instead of just PA99

74/171FAN

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on March 22, 2023, 06:57:56 PM

It is SR 0699 because SR 0099 is used for I-99.  Why was it not renumbered to PA 699?  I have no idea.

I-86 and PA 86 (SR 0886) are much closer to each other, yet both stay.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

sprjus4

I'm confused - it's SR 699 but also PA 99?

famartin

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 23, 2023, 03:24:01 AM
I'm confused - it's SR 699 but also PA 99?
PA does a few weird things with internal vs external numbers. I believe PA 283 also has a different internal number (300?)

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

CE Expert System:

District 1:  PA 8 at PA 77 (looks to be all but a no-build in Travel Mapping)

PennDOT - District 5 News: Shapiro Administration Highlights Upcoming PennDOT Construction in East Central Region

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

tckma

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 22, 2023, 07:02:02 PM

It is SR 0699 because SR 0099 is used for I-99.  Why was it not renumbered to PA 699?  I have no idea.

Meanwhile, in 2018, when portions of I-95 (SR 0095) were renumbered to I-295... PennDOT took pains to renumber PA 295 (in York County, almost two hours' drive away) to PA 297, just so I-295 could be SR 0295 internally.

famartin

Quote from: tckma on March 30, 2023, 03:00:18 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 22, 2023, 07:02:02 PM

Meanwhile, in 2018, when portions of I-95 (SR 0095) were renumbered to I-295... PennDOT took pains to renumber PA 295 (in York County, almost two hours' drive away) to PA 297, just so I-295 could be SR 0295 internally.

I thnk it matters more to PennDOT that the Interstates have the official numbers.

That said, I find it odd that they didn't just resign PA 283 as PA 300, which I believe is its internal number. 283 isn't directly continuous with I-283, so why keep the same number?

tckma

Quote from: famartin on March 30, 2023, 05:33:20 PM
That said, I find it odd that they didn't just resign PA 283 as PA 300, which I believe is its internal number. 283 isn't directly continuous with I-283, so why keep the same number?

PA-283 is a fairly reasonable extension of I-283, though if the whole thing were an Interstate, I'd think it should have an odd first digit -- since it would then not be connected to interstate highways at both sides, but rather would become a Frankenspur from I-83 into Lancaster.  It would just require some reconfiguration of the interchange with the PA Turnpike, changing existing exit numbers on the current I-283 segment, and adding exit numbers to the current PA-283 segment.  Maybe PennDOT once anticipated the whole thing would be approved into the Interstate system.

My opinion (and I don't know how doable this is) -- eliminate the PA-283/I-283 interchange with the PA Turnpike and construct a new interchange between the PA Turnpike and Airport Connector.  The current PA-283/I-283/PA Turnpike interchange configuration is horrible.  This solution would both get rid of that mess, AND provide more direct access from the PA Turnpike to MDT airport.

Problem is, the current I-283/PA Turnpike interchange provides access from the Turnpike to PTC HQ, so I doubt the PTC would go for it.

Chris19001

Quote from: tckma on March 31, 2023, 11:51:45 AM
Quote from: famartin on March 30, 2023, 05:33:20 PM

My opinion (and I don't know how doable this is) -- eliminate the PA-283/I-283 interchange with the PA Turnpike and construct a new interchange between the PA Turnpike and Airport Connector.  The current PA-283/I-283/PA Turnpike interchange configuration is horrible.  This solution would both get rid of that mess, AND provide more direct access from the PA Turnpike to MDT airport.

Problem is, the current I-283/PA Turnpike interchange provides access from the Turnpike to PTC HQ, so I doubt the PTC would go for it.
That's actually a pretty good suggestion.  A downgrade of the current "Harrisburg East" to an "Official Use Only" exit would require a bit of work and the current I-283/PA-283 interchange could be significantly simplified with little traffic heading to the current interchange. (yes it was just updated)  The Airport connector has good sized field to the northwest that could work well for the ramps to and from a new PATP electronic interchange.  The big problem is the I-76 eastbound service plaza (Highspire) would require a heavy merge point with the I-283 ramp acceleration lane.  That service plaza may be due for a redo with 3rd lane designs eventually coming along in that section, whenever that may happen.

famartin

We're straying more into PA Turnpike topics, but what's the estimated time frame for widening that section? Is there one?

tckma

Quote from: Chris19001 on March 31, 2023, 01:01:33 PM
That's actually a pretty good suggestion.  A downgrade of the current "Harrisburg East" to an "Official Use Only" exit would require a bit of work and the current I-283/PA-283 interchange could be significantly simplified with little traffic heading to the current interchange. (yes it was just updated)  The Airport connector has good sized field to the northwest that could work well for the ramps to and from a new PATP electronic interchange.  The big problem is the I-76 eastbound service plaza (Highspire) would require a heavy merge point with the I-283 ramp acceleration lane.  That service plaza may be due for a redo with 3rd lane designs eventually coming along in that section, whenever that may happen.

(Is there a PA Turnpike discussion topic here?  I didn't see one.  The NJTP has one separate from New Jersey, but...)

Looking more closely at GM satellite view of the PA Turnpike / Airport Connector area, it seems that Highspire is pretty boxed in by industrial/commercial property and can't expand.  However, looks like any interchange construction would have to be done in the form of a double trumpet interchange to the northwest of the Airport Connector overpass across the Turnpike... so you'd have at least SOME separation between the merge point of the onramp(s) from Airport Connector to the eastbound Turnpike.  Perhaps the entire service plaza can be relocated a bit to the east, such as here (also a good alternate spot for an interchange with PA-283/I-283 if that doesn't work out).  I'm sure the industrial park would be quite interested in buying up the existing Highspire Service Area property.

74/171FAN

Quote from: tckma on April 03, 2023, 03:24:54 PM
Quote from: Chris19001 on March 31, 2023, 01:01:33 PM

(Is there a PA Turnpike discussion topic here?  I didn't see one.  The NJTP has one separate from New Jersey, but...) 

Looking more closely at GM satellite view of the PA Turnpike / Airport Connector area, it seems that Highspire is pretty boxed in by industrial/commercial property and can't expand.  However, looks like any interchange construction would have to be done in the form of a double trumpet interchange to the northwest of the Airport Connector overpass across the Turnpike... so you'd have at least SOME separation between the merge point of the onramp(s) from Airport Connector to the eastbound Turnpike.  Perhaps the entire service plaza can be relocated a bit to the east, such as here (also a good alternate spot for an interchange with PA-283/I-283 if that doesn't work out).  I'm sure the industrial park would be quite interested in buying up the existing Highspire Service Area property.

You posted there just last week.  (https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=419.msg2831189#msg2831189)   :-D

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

PennDOT - District 3 News: Restrooms at I-80 WB Rest Areas in Columbia County Closed for Repair

CE Expert System:

District 5:

PA 611 Closure in Delaware Water Gap  (I am surprised that I have PA 611 clinched considering this closure and the one south of Easton after Hurricane Ida in 2021.)

(For PA 255)  PennDOT - District 2 News: Signals Now Operating at Intersection of Route 255 and Shaffer Road

74/171FAN

ixnay

The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.