News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Maryland

Started by Alps, May 22, 2011, 12:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MASTERNC

Thought the tunnels used to have VSLs but maybe those didn't change much.  I think more states/agencies should use VSLs. 

Alps

No I think MD has used them in work zones before, along 95 specifically.

ixnay

Bitmapped

Rothman

Quote from: Bitmapped on October 16, 2023, 08:19:08 PM
Cumberland is losing its MPO due to declining population density in Allegany County: https://www.times-news.com/news/population-decline-releases-county-from-planning-requirements/article_32572c60-69ef-11ee-9847-d3e591519b1b.html
Holy cow.  Ithaca, NY was also sweating the new census numbers out, but managed to keep ITCTC around almost by single digits.

Makes me wonder how many MPOs have gone kaput due to new Census numbers.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

MASTERNC

Quote from: MASTERNC on September 24, 2023, 03:51:54 PM
FYI, if anyone wants to take a survey about proposed work zone changes as a result of the Lt. Governor's work group, here is the link.  Note the suggestions include unmanned speed cameras in more work zones, more speed cameras in long work zones, and higher fines.

https://zerodeathsmd.gov/wzsurvey/

Sounds like $250 fines and unmanned cameras are the big recommendations.  Hopefully there's some type of graduated system or identification of a driver should this come to pass.

https://thedailyrecord.com/2023/10/19/md-work-zone-speed-camera-fines-could-jump-from-40-to-250/

TheOneKEA

One of the segments of MD 978 is now signed! I noticed the new signage at the intersection west of the MD 214/US 301 interchange. It looks like that segment was repaved and modernized in connection with a new housing development south and west of the interchange.

There is also another huge housing development under construction east of US 301 north, south of the MD 197 intersection, which will certainly make the existing bottleneck on US 301 south of US 50 even more chronically bad. Unfortunately the old SHA project documentation for the planned interchange construction at the US 301/MD 197 intersection is missing from the new SHA project portal, which implies that this bottleneck won't be fixed for a very long time.

Viridiscalculus

Quote from: TheOneKEA on October 25, 2023, 08:25:11 PM
One of the segments of MD 978 is now signed! I noticed the new signage at the intersection west of the MD 214/US 301 interchange. It looks like that segment was repaved and modernized in connection with a new housing development south and west of the interchange.

There is also another huge housing development under construction east of US 301 north, south of the MD 197 intersection, which will certainly make the existing bottleneck on US 301 south of US 50 even more chronically bad. Unfortunately the old SHA project documentation for the planned interchange construction at the US 301/MD 197 intersection is missing from the new SHA project portal, which implies that this bottleneck won't be fixed for a very long time.

MD 956 is no longer the highest-numbered signed state highway for the first time since...the late 1990s?

According to Google Street View, the MD 978 sign has been there since at latest June 2023. The sign was not present in June 2022, but intersection improvements had begun by then.

Viridiscalculus

In other news, the 2022 Highway Location Reference documents are out. Data are as of December 31, 2022.

Several new service roads have been designated as part of the toll plaza removals:

• There is a new MD 50A for the new eastbound inspection station at the former Bay Bridge toll plaza. I'm surprised this is not MD 908F.
  • In concert with the Key Bridge toll plaza removal, MD 695C is extended and we welcome MD 695X, MD 695Y, and MD 695Z. Where are D through W?
  • I-95T was added at the former Tydings toll plaza, and US 40A and US 40B are new at the former Hatem toll plaza.

Other changes:

• Data seem to be missing for the new Potomac River Bridge on US 301 in the Charles County document.
  • There are a couple changes at the completed I-70 Exit 59 and several transfers in Frederick County.
  • MD 733 is no more in Garrett County.
  • The BGSs for Watkins Mill Road on I-270 in Gaithersburg were a dead giveaway that the route was going to be assigned a state route number. MD 114 returns to active duty, but not yet in the field and not yet with details in the HLR.
  • Also in MoCo, MD 117's eastern end is truncated to Muddy Branch Road in Gaithersburg, and MD 187 is re-extended to MD 355 at Pike and Rose in North Bethesda.
  • There are some new MD 210s at the new Kerby Hill Road interchange in Oxon Hill.

FLAVORTOWN

How does MD come up with route numbers for new highways? It seems like theyre just randomly assigned everywhere ... or is there a method to the madness?

Dough4872

Quote from: FLAVORTOWN on October 29, 2023, 10:42:18 PM
How does MD come up with route numbers for new highways? It seems like theyre just randomly assigned everywhere ... or is there a method to the madness?

A lot of the lower numbers from 2-378 are in geographical clusters, for example 267-286 is in Cecil County. Numbers above 378 are random throughout the state.

cockroachking

Quote from: Dough4872 on October 29, 2023, 11:05:16 PM
Quote from: FLAVORTOWN on October 29, 2023, 10:42:18 PM

A lot of the lower numbers from 2-378 are in geographical clusters, for example 267-286 is in Cecil County. Numbers above 378 are random throughout the state.
Basically this. MDRoads has a fairly comprehensive description.

FLAVORTOWN

Im a bit confused, how did 355 come about? It looks like the range assignment should have it in the eastern shore somewhere yet its the old US-240 route. I wonder why MD just didnt number it 240 like they did with the 222 route.

Maybe im getting too into the weeds here but this makes me  :confused:

cockroachking

Quote from: FLAVORTOWN on October 30, 2023, 02:21:33 PM
Im a bit confused, how did 355 come about? It looks like the range assignment should have it in the eastern shore somewhere yet its the old US-240 route. I wonder why MD just didnt number it 240 like they did with the 222 route.

Maybe im getting too into the weeds here but this makes me  :confused:
There was a 355 originally in Somerset County that got axed fairly early on. Post-WWII, numbers seemed to be assigned more randomly from those that were not active at the time (see MD-10, MD41, or MD43). Since US-240 was being moved onto present-day I-270 at the time, MD-240 would not have been a good decision, and 355 happened to be the number of choice. Once US-240 was decommissioned in favor of I-270, MD-355 stayed as-is, since it would have been silly to renumber it again. (Remember, key here is that the US-240 freeway slightly predated the Interstate Highway System.)
Source

BrianP

Quote from: Viridiscalculus on October 27, 2023, 11:25:40 PM
The BGSs for Watkins Mill Road on I-270 in Gaithersburg were a dead giveaway that the route was going to be assigned a state route number. MD 114 returns to active duty, but not yet in the field and not yet with details in the HLR.
Using MD 114 seems like a waste of a 100 route. Since it'll be little more than a mile long. On the other hand, what else would they use that route number on?

We just have wait until 2030 for the route to be signed. Since the county maintains the road until then. 

cockroachking

Quote from: BrianP on October 30, 2023, 02:44:23 PM
We just have wait until 2030 for the route to be signed. Since the county maintains the road until then.
Source? AIUI, it has already been transferred to SHA:

Quote from: MDOT SHA 2022 Highway Location Reference
ROUTE ALERT LIST
MONTGOMERY COUNTY
MD 114 – Watkins Mill Rd.  From Clopper Rd to MD 355 has been transferred to SHA.

BrianP

Quote from: cockroachking on October 31, 2023, 12:38:04 AM
Quote from: BrianP on October 30, 2023, 02:44:23 PM
Source? AIUI, it has already been transferred to SHA:

Quote from: MDOT SHA 2022 Highway Location Reference
ROUTE ALERT LIST
MONTGOMERY COUNTY
MD 114 – Watkins Mill Rd.  From Clopper Rd to MD 355 has been transferred to SHA.
I looked it up again. The ten year part to which I was referring turns out to be a maximum. 
QuoteThe County will assume ownership and maintenance of the road, except that the City will be responsible for snow removal for a period of ten years or until such time as the road is turned over to SHA, whichever is less.
The segments this refers to are the parts adjacent to the interchange.
https://apps.montgomerycountymd.gov/BASISCAPITAL/Common/Project.aspx?ID=P500724

So now all we need is a project to add and update the signage.

FLAVORTOWN

Whats up with the milepost markers on US-1? No way its mile 3 obviously, since its way up north so where are they measuring from? Is this due to jurisdictional change or something?

Also kinda surprised to see these enhanced MP markers, I don't think they are around anywhere else in the state. https://www.google.com/maps/@39.5134403,-76.3778982,3a,75y,28.99h,88.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSJKpQIySkuSoNvacEuni6A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

froggie

Quote from: FLAVORTOWN on November 18, 2023, 06:35:49 PM
Whats up with the milepost markers on US-1? No way its mile 3 obviously, since its way up north so where are they measuring from? Is this due to jurisdictional change or something?

Also kinda surprised to see these enhanced MP markers, I don't think they are around anywhere else in the state. https://www.google.com/maps/@39.5134403,-76.3778982,3a,75y,28.99h,88.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSJKpQIySkuSoNvacEuni6A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Looks to me like they're measuring from the Baltimore/Harford County line.

vdeane

Many states have mileage for non-freeway routes reset at county lines.  Looks like Maryland is one of them.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

tmoore952

It occurred to me earlier this evening (while talking to my brother on a phone call) that this past week marked the 60th anniversary of the opening of the Delaware Turnpike/Maryland Northeast Expressway.

There was a ceremony (ribbon cutting and unveiling of a replica Mason-Dixon crownstone) at the MD-DE line on Nov 14, 1963, with President Kennedy, Delaware Governor Elbert Carvel, and Maryland Governor Millard Tydings. First traffic allowed at midnight Nov. 15.

Eight days later (Nov 22), President Kennedy was assassinated. Entire highway renamed in JFK's honor in December.

(side note - I remembered this when my brother asked about the I-95 bridge over the Susquehanna River -- which is called the Tydings Bridge).

(note - identical post placed in Delaware thread)

vdeane

Per mob-rule, the Baltimore/Harford County Line is approximately here.  Measuring it out, it is about three miles to that mile marker.  Therefore, the mileage being from the county line is a reasonable assumption.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

tmoore952

Quote from: FLAVORTOWN on November 18, 2023, 06:35:49 PM

Re: enhanced mileage markers in Maryland. Last week, I drove on significant portions of US 13 (35 out of about 40 miles in MD) and US 50 (85 of about 140 miles in the eastern section of US 50 in MD) and I saw mileposts like that along both of them. But this is the only part of US 1 north of Baltimore on which I have seen them.

Because of family in extreme northern Delaware, and me being between Baltimore and Washington, I have driven this stretch of US 1 a lot over the last 25 years or so.

This milepost in the link, as the accompanying map shows, is not that far north of MD 147 intersection. It is on a US 1 bypass of Bel Air which continues for about 8 (?) miles or so to Hickory. There are mileposts like this along the entire bypass.

I agree that they are counting from the Harford/Baltimore county line (always used to wonder about that). But south of MD 147, which is not a bypass, there is no milepost 0, 1. or 2, nor is there any above about 11 (north of Hickory). There aren't any mileposts along any other part of US 1 north of Baltimore.

US 1 used to go right through Bel Air (it is now Business US 1, with mostly green signs). I do not know the history of this area very well, as mentioned I was not on this bypass prior to about 25 years ago.

tmoore952

Quote from: vdeane on November 18, 2023, 10:04:02 PM
Per mob-rule, the Baltimore/Harford County Line is approximately here.  Measuring it out, it is about three miles to that mile marker.  Therefore, the mileage being from the county line is a reasonable assumption.

County line is at a bridge over Little Gunpowder Falls. Last time I drove it, there were signs announcing the county line change.   

(per mob-rule??? You could just ask a local like me)

tmoore952

Quote from: vdeane on November 18, 2023, 09:22:44 PM
Many states have mileage for non-freeway routes reset at county lines.  Looks like Maryland is one of them.

Not true for US 50 (eastern section), US 13, or US 15, all of which I have been on in the last four months. The mileposts are cumulative for the entire state. US 13 and US 50 cross county lines within the state (US 15 does not).

With the exception of US 1 (see below), I haven't been on the other US routes (US 11 or farther west, the (very short) sections of US 222 or US 522, or US 40 where it is not multiplexed with I-70) recently enough to definitively say.

As mentioned in another post I made, US 1 north of Baltimore generally does not have mileposts with the exception of the 8 (or so) miles of the Bel Air bypass. What is occurring here is an exception, not the rule.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.