News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-5 Skagit River Bridge closed

Started by kkt, December 09, 2020, 01:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

QuoteMOUNT VERNON, Wash. - Both directions of Interstate 5 are closed at the Skagit River Bridge after a semi-truck struck a barrier Wednesday morning.

The crash happened before 5:00 a.m. A few hours later, the Washington State Department of Transportation said to expect a "long term closure" of the Skagit River Bridge.

Inspectors from Olympia were being sent to evaluate the bridge after a semi-truck hit a barrier and broke its front axel.

No other vehicles were involved, troopers said.

-https://www.q13fox.com/news/i-5-closed-in-both-directions-at-skagit-river-bridge-after-semi-strikes-barrier

Yes, this is the same bridge that was knocked down in 2013 when an oversized vehicle struck part of the truss.  A detour is posted.

kkt

And they now report the bridge has been inspected and reopened.

jakeroot

Glad this didn't turn into a massive debacle. Oh and that nothing fell into the water, of course.

CtrlAltDel

Here's a picture of some of the damage. There are also some scrapes on the concrete barrier further ahead.

I'm no expert of course, but the warning for a "long-term closure" seems like it might have been excessive.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kkt

Yes, when they say "long term," I am thinking weeks, months, or years, not a few hours for the engineer from Olympia to get there.

Bickendan

WSDOT must have facepalmed hard when the collision happened.

mrsman

Quote from: kkt on December 09, 2020, 01:52:52 PM
QuoteMOUNT VERNON, Wash. - Both directions of Interstate 5 are closed at the Skagit River Bridge after a semi-truck struck a barrier Wednesday morning.

The crash happened before 5:00 a.m. A few hours later, the Washington State Department of Transportation said to expect a "long term closure" of the Skagit River Bridge.

Inspectors from Olympia were being sent to evaluate the bridge after a semi-truck hit a barrier and broke its front axel.

No other vehicles were involved, troopers said.

-https://www.q13fox.com/news/i-5-closed-in-both-directions-at-skagit-river-bridge-after-semi-strikes-barrier

Yes, this is the same bridge that was knocked down in 2013 when an oversized vehicle struck part of the truss.  A detour is posted.

When I first saw the headline, I assumed it was a necropost.  Thanks for the clarfication!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.