News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NASCAR

Started by kenarmy, February 12, 2021, 10:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kenarmy on February 19, 2021, 12:13:30 PM
Matt Kenseth is underrated. He has 2 Daytona wins, a championship, 39 wins, and he beat Dale Jr. for roty  :nod: . And last but definitely not least, he spun Joey Logano. nascar rarely mentions him but they are quick to bring up Dale Jr and Kurt Busch. I pray he doesn't continue to be one of those interim drivers and tarnish his legacy.

He'll be fine, it didn't stop Terry Labonte from getting into the NASCAR Hall of Fame.  I'd argue Kenseth had a better overall body of work given he has way more Cup Wins. 

Takumi

Matt Kenseth is underrated. He has 2 Daytona wins, a championship, 39 wins, and he beat Dale Jr. for roty  :nod: . And last but definitely not least, he spun Joey Logano. nascar rarely mentions him but they are quick to bring up Dale Jr and Kurt Busch. I pray he doesn't continue to be one of those interim drivers and tarnish his legacy.
He's also partially responsible for the shitshow that is the playoffs. In his 2003 championship season, he won one race, but won the title on consistency, while Ryan Newman won eight races but finished down in the points because he had quite a few DNFs.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kenarmy

Quote from: Takumi on February 19, 2021, 07:41:13 PM
He's also partially responsible for the shitshow that is the playoffs. In his 2003 championship season, he won one race, but won the title on consistency, while Ryan Newman won eight races but finished down in the points because he had quite a few DNFs.

NASCAR resetting everyones wins during the chase has nothing to do with Matt, and that's honestly the only reason it's a shitshow. They were already changing their rules before the championship and had started planning more adjustments. Matt helped because drivers get more points for wins. Otherwise, we'd have things like Martin Truex Jr. winning the championship over Chase Elliott
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

Max Rockatansky

I don't think that I'm in the minority on this but if you can't be consistent and wreck out all the time then you shouldn't be handed the championship because you had a bunch of wins.  Yeah 1st should have awarded 190 or 195 points in the old system but there is way too much emphasis placed on it now over consistency.  It didn't work well for CART being so win emphasis heavy and it isn't working for NASCAR.  Then again I thought 5 points should have been awarded for the pole and fastest lap of the race in the old system. 

hbelkins

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 19, 2021, 11:53:45 AM
Quote from: Henry on February 19, 2021, 10:56:13 AM
Even 20 years after Dale Earnhardt's death, the memory of that tragic ending at Daytona has never really faded. On the plus side, it gave NASCAR the opportunity to make its cars safer than ever, thus saving drivers like Ryan Newman from a similar fate.

There was a couple other deaths that happened around the same time.  The one that I really recall was Kenny Irwin in the summer of 2000.  It's kind of bizarre to think that things like the HANS device, open face helmets and letting drivers get away with things like modifying harnesses was allowed into this century.  Thankfully the COT didn't last too long, there aren't many fond memories I have of that spec car.

Adam Petty. And John Nemechek.

If not for the Chase, people would not be mentioning Jimmie Johnson in the same breath with Dale Earnhardt and Richard Petty. I've come across a site in the past that shows who would have been the champion if the old system had stayed in use.  If I remember correctly, Jeff Gordon would have had a couple more and Johnson would only have had about three.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kenarmy

Quote from: hbelkins on February 19, 2021, 10:20:08 PM
Even 20 years after Dale Earnhardt's death, the memory of that tragic ending at Daytona has never really faded. On the plus side, it gave NASCAR the opportunity to make its cars safer than ever, thus saving drivers like Ryan Newman from a similar fate.

There was a couple other deaths that happened around the same time.  The one that I really recall was Kenny Irwin in the summer of 2000.  It's kind of bizarre to think that things like the HANS device, open face helmets and letting drivers get away with things like modifying harnesses was allowed into this century.  Thankfully the COT didn't last too long, there aren't many fond memories I have of that spec car.

If not for the Chase, people would not be mentioning Jimmie Johnson in the same breath with Dale Earnhardt and Richard Petty. I've come across a site in the past that shows who would have been the champion if the old system had stayed in use.  If I remember correctly, Jeff Gordon would have had a couple more and Johnson would only have had about three.
Exactly, people are quick to complain about the chase but don't realize that it's mostly in favor of their favorite drivers. Do you remember the name of the site?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kenarmy on February 19, 2021, 10:24:23 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 19, 2021, 10:20:08 PM

Exactly, people are quick to complain about the chase but don't realize that it's mostly in favor of their favorite drivers. Do you remember the name of the site?

Jayski.com

It's still online btw. 

kenarmy

Oh, I've been to Jayski but i've never noticed that part

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kenarmy on February 19, 2021, 11:07:24 PM
Oh, I've been to Jayski but i've never noticed that part

It's kind of impressive it has stayed online all these years.  I recall going to Jayski.com with Netscape via Prodigy and AOL in Middle School.  I want to came online in 1996?

Max Rockatansky

Speaking of 1996, NASCAR and Prodigy that was the year they were the primary sponsor on the 71 which was owned/driven by Dave Marcis.  My Dad was the VP of Marketing at Prodigy at the time and had arranged for them to be an associate sponsor in 1994/1995.  During the 1994 and 1995 Prodigy was the primary sponsor at Ponoco and Phoenix (the latter because my brother lived in Phoenix) while the majority of the season had Olive Garden as the primary.  My Dad convinced the board at Prodigy to invest $3,000,000 dollars into being the primary sponsor for Dave Marcis for the entire 1996 season after Olive Garden had walked away. 

At the time Prodigy had moved form a closed ISP to an Netscape based service so they really wanted the exposure of being on TV.  The show car and merchandise trailer gave out free trial CDs for Prodigy but it didn't really have the desired effect on adding subscribers.  The thought was that the trial CDs shouldn't have been in plastic wrap because they often ended up going unused after Mr. Marcis signed them at autograph sessions. 

The paint scheme of the 1996 Prodigy car was purple and green which something new Prodigy changed to compete with AOL.  In 1995 the colors were purple and yellow whereas they were a more bland blue on white for 1994.  My Dad and actually made models of the 1996 paint scheme on Revell 1/24 die-cast cars in our garage in Connecticut.  The final paint scheme was fairly close to the last design we came up with in the garage (and I really wish that I had that die-cast still). 

I attended dozens of races as a guest from 1994 until Mr. Marcis retired after the 2002 Daytona.  I was often put to work in the garage which required a waiver from NASCAR given I was a kid for most of that time.  Being around a Winston Cup race team so much through the years really was a once in a life time experience and was some of the best times I ever spent with my Dad.  This photo is of me with Mr. Marcis at the last pre-race ceremonies of the 1996 Tyson Holly Farms 400 which was the last Winston Cup Race at North Wilkesboro:

IMG_1246 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

So to that end I often get asked why my Challenger is purple with green stripes, the reason is that it matches the colors of the 1996 Prodigy car.  It might not be a 1996 W-Body Chevy Monte Carlo but I thought it would be a good way to honor my Dad and those nostalgic times.  It seemed even more appropriate given it was almost 20 years to the day after that sponsorship was approved by the Prodigy board to when I bought that Challenger. 

IMG_2710 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

hbelkins

Dave Marcis. Drove in wingtips and basically served as an R&D car for Richard Childress Racing (Dale Earnhardt in particular) his last few years.

Some national outfit picked Jayski up. ESPN maybe? I didn't realize Jayski was the one who had the list of champions under the old system online.

They're running the Daytona road course tomorrow without benefit of practice or qualifying. Makes me wish I hadn't given up NASCAR.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kenarmy

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 19, 2021, 11:38:05 PM
Speaking of 1996, NASCAR and Prodigy that was the year they were the primary sponsor on the 71 which was owned/driven by Dave Marcis.  My Dad was the VP of Marketing at Prodigy at the time and had arranged for them to be an associate sponsor in 1994/1995.  During the 1994 and 1995 Prodigy was the primary sponsor at Ponoco and Phoenix (the latter because my brother lived in Phoenix) while the majority of the season had Olive Garden as the primary.  My Dad convinced the board at Prodigy to invest $3,000,000 dollars into being the primary sponsor for Dave Marcis for the entire 1996 season after Olive Garden had walked away. 

At the time Prodigy had moved form a closed ISP to an Netscape based service so they really wanted the exposure of being on TV.  The show car and merchandise trailer gave out free trial CDs for Prodigy but it didn't really have the desired effect on adding subscribers.  The thought was that the trial CDs shouldn't have been in plastic wrap because they often ended up going unused after Mr. Marcis signed them at autograph sessions. 

The paint scheme of the 1996 Prodigy car was purple and green which something new Prodigy changed to compete with AOL.  In 1995 the colors were purple and yellow whereas they were a more bland blue on white for 1994.  My Dad and actually made models of the 1996 paint scheme on Revell 1/24 die-cast cars in our garage in Connecticut.  The final paint scheme was fairly close to the last design we came up with in the garage (and I really wish that I had that die-cast still). 

I attended dozens of races as a guest from 1994 until Mr. Marcis retired after the 2002 Daytona.  I was often put to work in the garage which required a waiver from NASCAR given I was a kid for most of that time.  Being around a Winston Cup race team so much through the years really was a once in a life time experience and was some of the best times I ever spent with my Dad.  This photo is of me with Mr. Marcis at the last pre-race ceremonies of the 1996 Tyson Holly Farms 400 which was the last Winston Cup Race at North Wilkesboro:

IMG_1246 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

So to that end I often get asked why my Challenger is purple with green stripes, the reason is that it matches the colors of the 1996 Prodigy car.  It might not be a 1996 W-Body Chevy Monte Carlo but I thought it would be a good way to honor my Dad and those nostalgic times.  It seemed even more appropriate given it was almost 20 years to the day after that sponsorship was approved by the Prodigy board to when I bought that Challenger. 

IMG_2710 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr
That is really neat!

Honestly, Idk how I feel about the race tmr. I personally am not a fan of the road courses and short tracks, except for Sonoma (I fondly remember this as being the last place were Tony Stewart won).

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hbelkins on February 21, 2021, 12:05:38 AM
Dave Marcis. Drove in wingtips and basically served as an R&D car for Richard Childress Racing (Dale Earnhardt in particular) his last few years.

Some national outfit picked Jayski up. ESPN maybe? I didn't realize Jayski was the one who had the list of champions under the old system online.

They're running the Daytona road course tomorrow without benefit of practice or qualifying. Makes me wish I hadn't given up NASCAR.

Yes, there was also a time he had to choose over being supplied with Childress engines or Hendrick engines.  Considering that he was a test driver for Childress it was an obvious choice to pick them.  He was testing the IROC cars at the same time with Dick Trickle and Jim Sauter.

Regarding Jayski it was sold to ESPN and Jay Adamczyk purchased it back after the domain was abandoned. 

74/171FAN

Ty Gibbs wins in his first XFinity start at the Daytona Road Course holding off Austin Cindric after driving in the grass on the final restart.

It is crazy to think that he did something Kyle Busch did not do.  (He finished 2nd in his first XFinity start at Charlotte in 2003.)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

kenarmy

Christopher Bell won't do the Joe Gibbs #20 justice. It's been going down since Matt Kenseth (my fave btw) left.

Christopher surprised me! And he beat a Penske Car... He might be my new favorite. w

Max Rockatansky

Damn, Christopher Bell for the win.  Lagano wasted his brakes at the end. 

Heh...Michael McDowell got a Top Ten finish.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 21, 2021, 06:21:04 PM

and two weeks in a row, someone who's mostly been in like the top 35 ... wins.
beautiful stuff
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

kenarmy

I wonder why Sara Christian hasn't been inducted in the hof. Sure, she only ran 7 races but she was the first woman to drive in a NASCAR race, the first and only woman to record a top five finish in NASCAR, participated in the first purely stock race, and finished 13 in standings. That's a better resume than d- but anyway.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on February 21, 2021, 09:33:41 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 21, 2021, 06:21:04 PM

and two weeks in a row, someone who's mostly been in like the top 35 ... wins.
beautiful stuff

His only year in Cup was last year and he finished 20th in the standings with a lower level team, so the clues were there that he could win with elite equipment, especially on road courses.

McDowell lost a tire right at the green flag, which knocked him back from 2nd to last, and he battled back to finish 8th.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

rickmastfan67

I attended dozens of races as a guest from 1994 until Mr. Marcis retired after the 2002 Daytona.  I was often put to work in the garage which required a waiver from NASCAR given I was a kid for most of that time.

Did you by some odd chance attend the 2001 race @ Dover right after 9/11?  I've been looking everywhere since '01 for pictures of Marcis's car from that weekend, but haven't found a single one since he was a DNQ.

rickmastfan67

So, somebody @ Homestead is a roadgeek.  Look at this BGS they put up that's pretty much spot on.  :cool:

https://twitter.com/WookieAutomoTV/status/1365694404082749441

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 27, 2021, 04:37:44 PM
I attended dozens of races as a guest from 1994 until Mr. Marcis retired after the 2002 Daytona.  I was often put to work in the garage which required a waiver from NASCAR given I was a kid for most of that time.

Did you by some odd chance attend the 2001 race @ Dover right after 9/11?  I've been looking everywhere since '01 for pictures of Marcis's car from that weekend, but haven't found a single one since he was a DNQ.

Negative, I wasn't at Dover in 01. 

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 27, 2021, 04:50:17 PM

Negative, I wasn’t at Dover in 01.

Dang.  I so want to find some pictures of his car from that race to see what, if anything, his team did to show support after 9/11.  His is the only car from that weekend that I've found 0 pictures of.

74/171FAN

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 27, 2021, 04:38:37 PM
So, somebody @ Homestead is a roadgeek.  Look at this BGS they put up that's pretty much spot on.  :cool:

https://twitter.com/WookieAutomoTV/status/1365694404082749441

I never would have expected to see that.  This makes Jimmie Johnson's 7 championships worth seeing in and of itself.

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 27, 2021, 04:52:00 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 27, 2021, 04:50:17 PM

Negative, I wasn't at Dover in 01.

Dang.  I so want to find some pictures of his car from that race to see what, if anything, his team did to show support after 9/11.  His is the only car from that weekend that I've found 0 pictures of.

I want to say my Dad did have a picture of it so I might actually have a physical one in storage in Florida.  I plan on scanning all those photos the next time I'm in the Tampa area (maybe in September?) and I'll let you know if I find one.  At the time I would have just started my first job after moving to Phoenix so I was more or less stuck where I was. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.