News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Oddities within Texas

Started by roadman65, April 25, 2022, 11:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtespi

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on August 06, 2022, 12:31:22 PM
EL PASO IS NOT DEAD!

I really wish it weren't the case but it seems like I'm the only one posting on El Paso specific discussion threads. The most active thread is actually in the Mountain West forum because people thought it made more sense there (I agree). There's a lot of interesting stuff happening in El Paso regarding roads like the upcoming reconstruction of I-10 through the city, the Montana Avenue Freeway, and upcoming Borderland Expressway (formerly Northeast Parkway).

Seriously though, I don't have an answer for you as each city in Texas does their toll roads a bit different.  Reminds me of the two different shields here in the Austin area.  This one and this one.  There are even differet ways it's signed on ground mounted shields; white on blue cardinal directions and black on white cardinal directions.

Wow, those toll signs without the Texas flag icon to the left look really cheap, almost like a knockoff. The word "toll" is so thin and hard to see. That must have been a first generation design before TxDOT stepped in and altered the design.

bwana39

Quote from: jtespi on August 07, 2022, 01:18:41 AM
EL PASO IS NOT DEAD!

I really wish it weren't the case but it seems like I'm the only one posting on El Paso specific discussion threads. The most active thread is actually in the Mountain West forum because people thought it made more sense there (I agree). There's a lot of interesting stuff happening in El Paso regarding roads like the upcoming reconstruction of I-10 through the city, the Montana Avenue Freeway, and upcoming Borderland Expressway (formerly Northeast Parkway).

Some of the places on the line between two different AAROADS defined regions really struggle with this. The Memphis area between Mid-South and Southeast. (Western Tennessee is in Mid-South but Tennessee is in Southeast.) Where should North West Mississippi fit? It is part of metro-Memphis. Where do Mississippi River crossings fit? Where does Louisiana transition.? I-35 at the Red River?

I am sure there are lots of others. El Paso is closer to Phoenix than to DFW or ANY of the major Texas cities. It is similar in distance from Midland as to Tucson. Most of us from east of US-281 will make it to El Paso once a decade or so. It just is not familiar to the average Texan or anyone from, as I said, east of US-281; even farther east than Texarkana, Orange, or Waskom (IE Past Texas).
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: bwana39 on August 08, 2022, 08:18:15 AM
Quote from: jtespi on August 07, 2022, 01:18:41 AM
EL PASO IS NOT DEAD!

Some of the places on the line between two different AAROADS defined regions really struggle with this. The Memphis area between Mid-South and Southeast. (Western Tennessee is in Mid-South but Tennessee is in Southeast.) Where should North West Mississippi fit? It is part of metro-Memphis. Where do Mississippi River crossings fit? Where does Louisiana transition.? I-35 at the Red River?

I am sure there are lots of others. El Paso is closer to Phoenix than to DFW or ANY of the major Texas cities. It is similar in distance from Midland as to Tucson. Most of us from east of US-281 will make it to El Paso once a decade or so. It just is not familiar to the average Texan or anyone from, as I said, east of US-281; even farther east than Texarkana, Orange, or Waskom (IE Past Texas).

I agree.  I used to travel to El Paso about twice a year because I loved it out there, and even then, I felt like it was in another world from the rest of Texas.  Texas in general seems to forget about El Paso, until something good happens out there and then everyone wants to claim it. 

bwana39

Quote from: roadman65 on April 26, 2022, 09:26:45 AM
Quote from: CoreySamson on April 25, 2022, 03:43:06 PM
Quote from: Thegeet on April 25, 2022, 02:56:22 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 25, 2022, 11:05:49 AM
Here is an oddity for TX SH shields, but not so much along TX SH 35 in Pearland, Texas.

I remember this shield. I think it was installed within 2018-2020. I forgot about it until now.
Yeah, I've covered this before in the "Unique, Odd, Ugly, and Interesting"  signs thread. There's a whole rash of shields on SH-35 in Pearland that are like this. There's also a lot of what I believe are Arial LGS's in the area as well.

Yeah these are common NB on SH 35 in Pearland.  This is one of many, but the last as in Houston they are all usual TxDOT design for free standing shields.

This is the norm a seen a mile north of OP photo.

https://goo.gl/maps/JusJbuE9iWXcmWhQ8

The last one is in Harris County, but still south of BW-8.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.