Football (North America: NFL, CFL, Arena Football, minor leagues)

Started by Stephane Dumas, July 29, 2012, 11:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on September 05, 2022, 07:30:23 AM
Great game from both FSU and LSU.
Has to be the craziest ending of any football game, college or NFL, that I have watched.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

thspfc

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 05, 2022, 03:20:46 PM
Has to be the craziest ending of any football game, college or NFL, that I have watched.
I didn't watch it live, but I don't believe for a second that it was crazier than the Chargers/Raiders game.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: thspfc on September 05, 2022, 06:07:14 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 05, 2022, 03:20:46 PM
I didn't watch it live, but I don't believe for a second that it was crazier than the Chargers/Raiders game.
The Chargers Raiders game was also crazy, that game was probably a bit less crazy in a vaccum but the crazy implications made it all the better.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

brad2971

What happened with FSU-LSU last nite...wasn't even the first time this happened with a Louisiana football team!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4ZBT3BWaj4

US 89

What an insane weekend of college football. If only Texas had managed to finish off the Bama upset...

bing101

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

US 89

Stephane Dumas

The Montreal Alouettes got a new owner.
https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/entrepreneur-businessman-pierre-karl-peladeau-becomes-new-montreal-alouettes-owner-1.1929654
MONTREAL – Pierre Karl Peladeau is the new owner of the Montreal Alouettes.

The Montreal businessman was unveiled as the franchise owner by the CFL at a news conference at Olympic Stadium on Friday. Peladeau, the president/chief executive officer of Quebecor Inc., has a reported net worth of US$1.9 billion.

Peladeau, a former leader of the Parti Québécois, will represent the Alouettes as their lead governor on the CFL's board of governors.

"I'm proud to run a large company which has been involved in the Montreal business and the Montreal community. My father told me that when you receive so much, you need to give as much as possible," said Peladeau. "The Montreal Alouettes is not only a business, it's more than a business. It's about community investment. It's about being here, being strong and creating (something) Montrealers can be proud of."

The move comes just over a week after the CFL entered into an exclusive negotiation with Peladeau regarding ownership of the franchise.

"Our goal in this process was to put the Alouettes on a path to long-term success, ideally under strong, local ownership," said CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie.

"This is a special day for this incredible franchise, its fans across Quebec, and the city of Montreal. Pierre Karl and his passion for sports, entertainment and his community are remarkable. I know he will do a tremendous job in stewarding the Alouettes."

The CFL took over operation of the Alouettes last month, appointing former president Mario Cecchini as interim president. Cecchini and Park Lane, the CFL's investment banking partner, helped facilitate the search for a franchise owner.

But Cecchini won't remain with the Alouettes under Peladeau's ownership. Earlier this week, he was appointed commissioner of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.

Peladeau said hiring a new president will not be a quick process.

"I'm not saying we'll take three years but you'll need to give us a few days or a few weeks to take the necessary steps," he said Friday. "We've identified candidates and it's important to take the necessary time in order to fully understand the objective."

The CFL also assumed control of the Alouettes on May 31, 2019 from Robert and Andrew Wetenhall. The league sold the franchise to Ontario businessmen Sid Spiegel and Gary Stern, Spiegel's son-in-law, in January 2020.

hotdogPi

Idea for college football: Get rid of conferences entirely and have it strictly numerical. Your "adjusted win rate"  is 4/5 of your win percentage plus 1/5 of the average "adjusted win rate"  of opposing teams (effectively strength of schedule). It will take several iterations, but the numbers will converge. The top however many teams get in the playoffs.
Clinched

Traveled, plus 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

New:
I-189 clinched
US 7, VT 2A, 11, 15,  17, 73, 103, 116, 125, NH 123 traveled

thspfc

Quote from: 1 on March 11, 2023, 05:37:49 PM
Idea for college football: Get rid of conferences entirely and have it strictly numerical. Your "adjusted win rate"  is 4/5 of your win percentage plus 1/5 of the average "adjusted win rate"  of opposing teams (effectively strength of schedule). It will take several iterations, but the numbers will converge. The top however many teams get in the playoffs.
This would only work if there's a central governing body that has full control over scheduling, to ensure that everyone's schedule is mostly balanced. Because, for example, if a bunch of former SEC teams schedule each other and a bunch of former Conference USA teams schedule each other (which would probably happen), there will be Conference USA teams with inflated records and SEC teams with deflated records as a result of the teams they play, which affects the adjusted win rate of all the teams they play.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: thspfc on March 11, 2023, 06:30:16 PM
Quote from: 1 on March 11, 2023, 05:37:49 PM
This would only work if there's a central governing body that has full control over scheduling, to ensure that everyone's schedule is mostly balanced. Because, for example, if a bunch of former SEC teams schedule each other and a bunch of former Conference USA teams schedule each other (which would probably happen), there will be Conference USA teams with inflated records and SEC teams with deflated records as a result of the teams they play, which affects the adjusted win rate of all the teams they play.

The SEC and BIG, which far outearn all other conferences in TV money, are never going to agree to this.

We do have the strength of record metric, which measures how difficult it is to achieve your record against your schedule, and that is used by the playoff committee. It's a decent way to compare an undefeated team with a weak schedule against 1 and 2 loss teams with more difficult schedules.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hotdogPi

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on March 12, 2023, 11:36:27 AM
We do have the strength of record metric, which measures how difficult it is to achieve your record against your schedule, and that is used by the playoff committee. It's a decent way to compare an undefeated team with a weak schedule against 1 and 2 loss teams with more difficult schedules.

Not being that familiar with college football, is this a purely objective measure based solely on statistics?
Clinched

Traveled, plus 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

New:
I-189 clinched
US 7, VT 2A, 11, 15,  17, 73, 103, 116, 125, NH 123 traveled

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: 1 on March 12, 2023, 11:37:37 AM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on March 12, 2023, 11:36:27 AM

Not being that familiar with college football, is this a purely objective measure based solely on statistics?

Yes. The committee does not always go strictly by it, but they generally stick pretty close.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

SP Cook

The problem with all ideas about college playoffs is that college playoffs were an answer to a question that no one asked.  College football's bowl system worked, and worked well, for decades.  ESPN, the focus of evil in the sports world, has finally engineered, a single crushing exhaustive long playoff deal, where, BTW, there are maybe being as liberal as possible, 15 teams that will EVER have a shot, and everyone else is a POS.  Leading to its "little super bowl". 

Which doesn't get all that great of a TV rating, and which had to more or less give away tickets when they tried to play it out of the natural college football area. 

Big John

Northwestern fires head coach Pat Fitzgerald after a hazing suspension led to an investigation led to more serious infractions.

hobsini2

Quote from: Big John on July 10, 2023, 07:42:38 PM
Northwestern fires head coach Pat Fitzgerald after a hazing suspension led to an investigation led to more serious infractions.

Not surprised. After reading a few comments from former players, he is lucky that it is just a firing. He is a modern era Joe Paterno in that he allowed the sexual hazing to happen and he knew about it. Meaning he was at the very least complacent.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

1995hoo

Four local radio stations are sponsoring this event near Nats Park next Thursday. This is funny.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

davewiecking

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 13, 2023, 05:16:44 PM
Four local radio stations are sponsoring this event near Nats Park next Thursday. This is funny.

Excellent! I truly hope the sale goes through, despite the last minute snag related to leaked emails that led to the firing of Jon Gruden.

Roadgeekteen

DeAndre Hopkins signs with Titans. Dammit I wanted him.

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Roadgeekteen

mgk920

NFL training camps open next week, too, I believe.

Mike

Big John

Washington Commanders sale approved today any to boot, Snyder fined $60 million for misconduct.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.