News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Tell us what's your hometown/city known for

Started by Desert Man, October 22, 2020, 05:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amroad17

Syracuse, NY...

Syracuse University, along with Orange basketball; Carrier Corporation and the Carrier Dome; Carrol's Corporation; DestiNY USA (Carousel Mall); Interstate 81 and the Community Grid.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Rothman

Quote from: amroad17 on October 26, 2020, 05:38:25 AM
Syracuse, NY...

Syracuse University, along with Orange basketball; Carrier Corporation and the Carrier Dome; Carrol's Corporation; DestiNY USA (Carousel Mall); Interstate 81 and the Community Grid.

Onondaga Lake:  The most polluted lake in the country (at least, it was).

Syracuse should be better known for the Underground Railroad (including the very important Jerry Rescue).

Hasn't Carrier lessened their presence in Syracuse?  Their HQ is in Florida.  I keep thinking they removed their name from the Dome, but...not yet.

Not sure how famous Carrols is.

And, DestiNY is more of a regional joke than anything...but it does carry a sort of infamy. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on October 26, 2020, 07:24:21 AM
... And, DestiNY is more of a regional joke than anything...but it does carry a sort of infamy. :D

I guess I missed the joke. Sure, it's never going to rival Mall of America or anything, but it was the talk of town even here in Rochester for the first few years, and it's seemed plenty busy every time I've been.

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on October 26, 2020, 07:54:11 AM
... And, DestiNY is more of a regional joke than anything...but it does carry a sort of infamy. :D

I guess I missed the joke. Sure, it's never going to rival Mall of America or anything, but it was the talk of town even here in Rochester for the first few years, and it's seemed plenty busy every time I've been.
It's an overhyped mall.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

thspfc

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 22, 2020, 08:59:34 PM
Detroit is obvious, the domestic automotive industry.
If you're restircting it to positive things, then yes . . .

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thspfc on October 26, 2020, 08:04:02 PM

Even out of the massive list of negative things most would know it for the automotive industry.  Not a lot of people who aren't some what local really understand the City of Detroit essentially is a burnt out ghost town.

briantroutman

Personally, I think this thread is most interesting when the response for any given city is narrowed down to a single #1 item. (Like the psychologists' exercise: "Say the first thing that pops into your head when I mention ___" .)

In that scenario, I think that the answer for Detroit has to be something along the lines of "The Motor City" , "the U.S. auto industry" , etc.–I don't think urban decay, Motown Records, or anything else outweighs that.

MikieTimT

Charleston, AR

1). 1st school district in the former Confederate states to successfully implement racial integration.
2). Steve Cox - kicker/punter for Super Bowl XXII winning Washington Redskins.
3). Denny Flynn - 3 time National Finals Rodeo bullriding champion.

I remember as a kid riding down the dirt road from my Granny's house to Denny Flynn's training arena on the hood of Granny's 1978 Ford Thunderbird at around 5 MPH and hopping off every few seconds to pick up beer cans for recycling.  Franklin County is dry, but it seems bullriders are not.  Probably pain management as he got turned inside out by a bull's horn once.

hotdogPi

Quote from: briantroutman on October 26, 2020, 09:40:12 PM
Personally, I think this thread is most interesting when the response for any given city is narrowed down to a single #1 item. (Like the psychologists' exercise: "Say the first thing that pops into your head when I mention ___" .)

In that scenario, I think that the answer for Detroit has to be something along the lines of "The Motor City" , "the U.S. auto industry" , etc.–I don't think urban decay, Motown Records, or anything else outweighs that.

On the other hand, Flint = Flint water crisis.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

epzik8

The Aberdeen Proving Ground and Ripken Stadium.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

hotdogPi

Expanding on other towns in the area (see the first reply for the earlier ones):

Derry NH: Being the largest town (not city) in the state. Contains the Robert Frost Farm. For Irish tourists, the amusement comes from Derry and Londonderry being adjacent towns; in Ireland, they're different names for the same city.
Manchester NH: Being the largest city in the state. Nothing really stands out as being in Manchester and not the rest of the state, though. It does have many politicians speaking there during election season, and it also has a mall, but you would expect both of those.
Exeter NH: Phillips Exeter Academy (not to be confused with Phillips Academy in Andover, MA).
Newburyport MA (#12 in 1800): Mouth of the Merrimack River. Known for its boats.
Salisbury MA: Salisbury Beach.
Hampton NH: Hampton Beach and the I-95 tolls.
South Hampton NH: One of the few towns that was named after the 1616 map that had entirely made-up names. It's not exactly in the same location, but the real South Hampton is in the location of the map legend, so it's as close as you're going to get. Also far less populous than every adjacent town.
Salem MA (#8 in 1790): The Salem Witch Trials, obviously. For locals, the Peabody Essex Museum is also located here.
Danvers MA: Where the Salem Witch Trials actually happened. Also has the Liberty Tree Mall (which is a strip mall, not an actual mall).
Peabody MA: North Shore Mall, and subject to mispronunciation by non-locals.
Gloucester MA (#13 in 1790), Rockport MA: The ocean.
Lynn MA: City of Sin.
Manchester-by-the-Sea MA: The movie with the same name.
Marblehead MA (#11 in 1790): Very rich, and also very old.
Woburn MA: Subject to mispronunciation by non-locals. Contains one of the more important commuter rail stations.
Reading MA: I-95/I-93 interchange.
Stoneham MA: Stone Zoo
Burlington MA: Burlington Mall, as well as Lahey Hospital's original and flagship location.
Lexington MA, Concord MA: April 19, 1775. Lincoln is somehow forgotten despite being halfway between the two, even at the time. Lexington is also known for having the best public schools in the state.
Bedford MA: Hanscom Air Force Base, which extends slightly into Lincoln and Concord.
Westford MA: Kimball Farm.
Pepperell MA: One of the better covered bridges.
Harvard MA: Fruitlands Museum, and having a confusing name (nowhere near the university).
Carlisle MA: Basically being a rural "gap" surrounded on all sides by larger towns.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Flint1979

Quote from: 1 on October 27, 2020, 06:12:47 AM

Flint is just like Detroit, it's an automotive town. It's known as the Vehicle City. The water crisis has only been the last 6 years that's certainly not what it's known for.

Flint1979

Quote from: thspfc on October 26, 2020, 08:04:02 PM
I would have to say even with Detroit's negative image it's still well known as the Motor City. Anyone that has been to Detroit would know that it's known for the auto industry. Just enter the city from the south on I-75 and you're going right between all the industrial sites between the massive Ford Rouge Plant and Zug Island.

kphoger

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 27, 2020, 08:41:56 AM

Flint is just like Detroit, it's an automotive town. It's known as the Vehicle City. The water crisis has only been the last 6 years that's certainly not what it's known for.

I disagree.  If you tell someone from around here that you're from Flint, I think they're much more likely to say "Don't drink the water!" than to say anything automotive-related.

A lot of people know Detroit as an automotive town, but that's about all they know about Michigan.  If anything else, they also know that Detroit is home to current urban decay.  They don't know anything else about any other town in Michigan except what they've heard on the news about the water in Flint.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Flint1979

Quote from: kphoger on October 27, 2020, 11:39:49 AM

I disagree.  If you tell someone from around here that you're from Flint, I think they're much more likely to say "Don't drink the water!" than to say anything automotive-related.

A lot of people know Detroit as an automotive town, but that's about all they know about Michigan.  If anything else, they also know that Detroit is home to current urban decay.  They don't know anything else about any other town in Michigan except what they've heard on the news about the water in Flint.
The auto industry is what built Flint and ultimately what killed Flint, same as Detroit. This post asks for what your hometown/city is known for, Flint is well known as an auto town even outside of Michigan. General Motors was founded in Flint and if you were to ride around Flint you'd notice that it's an auto town and if you were to fly into Flint you'd be greeted by a huge General Motors plant as you leave the airport.

Just put in google, "What is Flint, Michigan known for?" and it will say the birthplace of General Motors.

US 89

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 27, 2020, 01:09:12 PM

Personally, I think this thread is most interesting when the response for any given city is narrowed down to a single #1 item. (Like the psychologists’ exercise: “Say the first thing that pops into your head when I mention ___”.)

In that scenario, I think that the answer for Detroit has to be something along the lines of “The Motor City”, “the U.S. auto industry”, etc.—I don’t think urban decay, Motown Records, or anything else outweighs that.

The auto industry is what built Flint and ultimately what killed Flint, same as Detroit. This post asks for what your hometown/city is known for, Flint is well known as an auto town even outside of Michigan. General Motors was founded in Flint and if you were to ride around Flint you'd notice that it's an auto town and if you were to fly into Flint you'd be greeted by a huge General Motors plant as you leave the airport.

Just put in google, "What is Flint, Michigan known for?" and it will say the birthplace of General Motors.

Okay, but very few people outside of Michigan know that.

Right now, if you pick a random person from one of the other 49 states and ask them where GM started, their answer is very likely to be Detroit even if that’s wrong. That same person, if they even know Flint exists, has only ever heard of it because its water issues keep making it onto the evening news.

Flint1979

Quote from: US 89 on October 27, 2020, 02:07:50 PM

Right now, if you pick a random person from one of the other 49 states and ask them where GM started, their answer is very likely to be Detroit even if that's wrong. That same person, if they even know Flint exists, has only ever heard of it because its water issues keep making it onto the evening news.
People haven't heard of Flint just because of the water crisis that isn't true at all. Flint was known before the water crisis that's for sure.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 27, 2020, 09:01:07 PM

Right now, if you pick a random person from one of the other 49 states and ask them where GM started, their answer is very likely to be Detroit even if that's wrong. That same person, if they even know Flint exists, has only ever heard of it because its water issues keep making it onto the evening news.
People haven't heard of Flint just because of the water crisis that isn't true at all. Flint was known before the water crisis that's for sure.

How many people from other parts of the country can distinguish between Flint, Ann Arbor, and Dearborn?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1 on October 27, 2020, 09:06:44 PM

How many people from other parts of the country can distinguish between Flint, Ann Arbor, and Dearborn?

Probably quite a few.  Ann Arbor for one is associated with one of the more notable college football programs.  Dearborn probably be the least noted in the public consciousness. 

Flint1979

Quote from: 1 on October 27, 2020, 09:06:44 PM

I'd say a lot. People know where Flint is, Ann Arbor is a college town and Dearborn is known for being the home of Ford.

amroad17

Quote from: amroad17 on October 26, 2020, 05:38:25 AM
Syracuse, NY...

Onondaga Lake:  The most polluted lake in the country (at least, it was).

Syracuse should be better known for the Underground Railroad (including the very important Jerry Rescue).

Hasn't Carrier lessened their presence in Syracuse?  Their HQ is in Florida.  I keep thinking they removed their name from the Dome, but...not yet.

Not sure how famous Carrols is.

And, DestiNY is more of a regional joke than anything...but it does carry a sort of infamy. :D
Yes, Carrier has lessened their presence in Syracuse, however, at one time they were one of the big corporations in the area.  Just like GE was until the TV operations were transferred to Suffolk, VA in the early to mid 1970's (the reason I left Syracuse--my father worked for GE and we moved to Chesapeake, VA).

It is somewhat difficult to find many positive things that Syracuse is known for since the city has lost over 70,000 in population from 1960 until now, along with the loss of some corporations--though the OP did not distinguish whether the things known for are positive or negative.

If one is 50 or more years old and a Syracuse-area native, they would know what Carrol's was--a pretty good hamburger restaurant.  Now Carrol's is a franchise owner of many Burger Kings in the Northeast.  They even own two or three here in Northern Kentucky.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Rothman

We aren't talking about what cities are known for by locals, though.  I would think that most people would just know about the university and their once reputable basketball team.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on October 28, 2020, 08:13:46 AM
We aren't talking about what cities are known for by locals, though.

Looking back at the OP, though, I'm not so sure that's true.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on October 28, 2020, 11:57:36 AM
Quote from: Rothman on October 28, 2020, 08:13:46 AM
We aren't talking about what cities are known for by locals, though.

Looking back at the OP, though, I'm not so sure that's true.
If something is just locally known, it ain't famous.

Big John

The #1 item is way too obvious so I will go with Toilet Paper.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.