News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Guitarists as occasional vocalists

Started by hbelkins, July 15, 2021, 11:54:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Most bands have one main vocalist -- with some notable exceptions. Chicago had three in their prime (Lamm, Kath, and Cetera) and Kiss had three (Simmons, Stanley, and Criss; Frehley's vocals came along later). The Eagles and BTO were two other groups with more than one regular singer.

Was it a fad or novelty for some bands to have a guitarist or other instrumentalist as a vocalist on a handful of songs? Most famous example is probably the Stones, with Keith Richards singing on a few tunes such as "Happy," "Before They Make Me Run," "Little T&A," and probably some others I can't recall offhand.

What about other examples?

Aerosmith -- Joe Perry singing on "Combination" and "Bright Light Fright."

Foreigner -- Mick Jones on a number of tunes like "Starrider," "I Have Waited So Long," "The Modern Day," "Woman Oh Woman," and others.

More examples?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on July 15, 2021, 11:54:15 AM
Most bands have one main vocalist -- with some notable exceptions. Chicago had three in their prime (Lamm, Kath, and Cetera) and Kiss had three (Simmons, Stanley, and Criss; Frehley's vocals came along later). The Eagles and BTO were two other groups with more than one regular singer.

Was it a fad or novelty for some bands to have a guitarist or other instrumentalist as a vocalist on a handful of songs? Most famous example is probably the Stones, with Keith Richards singing on a few tunes such as "Happy," "Before They Make Me Run," "Little T&A," and probably some others I can't recall offhand.

Foreigner -- Mick Jones on a number of tunes like "Starrider," "I Have Waited So Long," "The Modern Day," "Woman Oh Woman," and others.

More examples?
The drummer with Grand Funk Railroad.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

KeithE4Phx

All of the Beatles sang.  Carl Wilson and Al Jardine of the Beach Boys did also.  Dennis Wilson contributed a few vocal leads as well. 

Pete Townshend and John Entwistle of the Who sang lead on quite a few of the songs they wrote.  Even Keith Moon sang (and I use the term loosely) a couple.

David Crosby, Stephen Stills, Graham Nash, and Neil Young were all lead or 2nd-lead vocalists, both with CSNY and their previous bands:  Crosby with the Byrds, Stills and Young with Buffalo Springfield, and Nash with the Hollies.

But I think the record for the number of band members who sang lead has to be Sha Na Na, where all 12 (later 10) members led a few songs each.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

TheHighwayMan3561

Styx had rotating vocals from Tommy Shaw ("Blue Collar Man, "Crystal Ball", others) and occasionally James Young ("Miss America:) in addition to Dennis DeYoung. Shaw might be too broad for what you're asking for.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Pink Jazz

Smooth jazz/R&B musician George Benson is both a guitarist and a vocalist. He started off mainly as a guitarist, then rose to fame with many vocals in the 1970s, but then later shifted back mostly to instrumentals (with occasional scat singing).

TheHighwayMan3561

Brian May sang lead or co-lead on a few Queen songs.

index

Ler LaLonde and Tim Alexander (as well as Jay Lane) have had occasional backing vocals in Primus, Ler being on the guitars and the other two being drummers.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

jp the roadgeek

The Grateful Dead had a few songs not sung by Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir. Phil Lesh sang lead on a couple (Box of Rain, Unbroken Chain [released in 1974, not performed live until 1995], and a cover of Dylan's Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues).  He sang many of the high harmony parts up until they took a break from the road in 1974.  Citing vocal burnout, (coupled with his love for alcohol indulgence), Phil sang very little between 76 and 84 (Donna Godchaux, then Brent Mydland and Vince Welnick after that assumed that part).  Having cleaned up his act and adjusting to singing in more of a baritone, he resumed singing backup vocals, and a few duets with Mydland.  Mydland and Welnick (formerly of The Tubes) also sang lead on a few songs (Mydland mostly on his own contributions and Welnick on a combination of his and cover tunes).  Since the demise of the band, Phil sings lead quite a bit in his side projects, including on several of Garcia's tunes. Donna even sang lead on a couple numbers, and Keith, her keyboardist husband, contributed one song that was performed a handful of times live, but he never sang again with the band (though he did offer some backup vocals in Garcia's side band).  And Bruce Hornsby in his short tenure with the band contributed a couple of his own tunes.  But the rarest thing you'll ever hear is drummer Mickey Hart attempting to sing (there's a rap version of Fire on the Mountain with him contributing the spoken word, as well as one April Fool's gag with him on lead). 

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

TheHighwayMan3561

Yes:

Chris Squire: "Can You Imagine", "The Man You Always Wanted Me To Be"
Trevor Rabin: "Lift Me Up", "Shoot High Aim Low", "Changes", "Walls", "Endless Dream" (most of these co-lead with Anderson)

Takumi

James Iha has sung on some Smashing Pumpkins songs over the years. Usually he wrote them.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on July 15, 2021, 02:03:31 PM
Pete Townshend and John Entwistle of the Who sang lead on quite a few of the songs they wrote.  Even Keith Moon sang (and I use the term loosely) a couple.

Yeah.... but if you really want some Keith Moon vocals, you gotta play some of his solo album "Two Sides of the Moon".
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

davewiecking

Although Gregg Allman and later Dickie Betts were the primary singers for the original Allman Brothers Band, Berry Oakley did the vocals on their cover of Hoochie Coochie Man.

hbelkins

Not sure how I could have forgotten about Townshend and May. And poor Entwistle. Wonder if his wife ever caught up with him, or if he's still running?

And speaking of May's band, Roger Taylor (drummer) had a few vocals on some good Queen tunes. "I'm In Love With My Car" and "Tenement Funster" are a couple.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

dlsterner

Most famous example is probably the Stones, with Keith Richards singing on a few tunes such as "Happy," "Before They Make Me Run," "Little T&A," and probably some others I can't recall offhand.

Not just Keith Richards singing the occasional lead, but Bill Wyman sang lead on the Stones' song "In Another Land" (from the "Their Satanic Majesties Request" album)
(OK, technically he's a bassist and not a guitarist)

Keith's "Happy" is (I believe) the only non-Jagger vocal to be released as a single (hitting #22 on Billboard's Hot 100).

NWI_Irish96

Three of my favorite bands, Chicago, Fleetwood Mac and Styx, all had more than one singer. They had singers who could rock (Kath/Lamm, Buckingham, Shaw) as well as singers who could belt out a great ballad (Cetera, Nicks [granted she could rock too], DeYoung).
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Mr_Northside on July 15, 2021, 03:39:07 PM
Quote from: KeithE4Phx on July 15, 2021, 02:03:31 PM

Yeah.... but if you really want some Keith Moon vocals, you gotta play some of his solo album "Two Sides of the Moon".

No thanks.  I've heard enough of Moon"s "singing."  Compared to Moon, Bob Dylan is Pavarotti.  :)
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

roadman65

Blood, Sweat, & Tears had their guitar player sing lead on Sometime in Winter on the self titled album (which was not their debut, but the first with David Clayton Thomas) as Thomas sang lead on the rest except the Erik Satie Theme start and end.  I believe it was Tony Katz was his name.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kendancy66

The Band had multiple players who had lead vocals.  Robbie Robertson (The Weight) on guitar.  and Levon Helm (Cripple Creak, The Night they drove ole Dixie Down) on Drums. I remember that Rick Danko on bass also sings and does backing vocals.  Not sure about Garth Hudson or Richard Manuel though

Mr_Northside

I don't think Robbie did that much actual singing though.   I'm pretty sure I've read they didn't even turn his microphone on during The Last Waltz (don't know if he knew that or not).
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Throckmorton

Quote from: kendancy66 on July 16, 2021, 12:25:00 AM
The Band had multiple players who had lead vocals.  Robbie Robertson (The Weight) on guitar.  and Levon Helm (Cripple Creak, The Night they drove ole Dixie Down) on Drums. I remember that Rick Danko on bass also sings and does backing vocals.  Not sure about Garth Hudson or Richard Manuel though

QuoteI don't think Robbie did that much actual singing though.   I'm pretty sure I've read they didn't even turn his microphone on during The Last Waltz (don't know if he knew that or not).

Levon, Danko and Manuel were the lead vocalists.

Robbie rarely sang. There is one song on Big Pink he does the lead vocal but I don't think they ever played it live. I think the microphone thing is true and was standard practice for all live shows. But it is on when he addresses the audience. I'm pretty sure he knew about it. He did not sing lead on The Weight.   

Garth Hudson did not sing.   

Richard Manuel was considered by the others to be the best vocalist among them. He had a  tenor voice but sometimes sang falsetto.   

Proceed with caution

roadman65

Clapton started out that way until he went solo.

Joe Walsh you can say for the Eagles as most vocals were Henley and Frey. Occasionally Randy Meisner would do some ( he had the falsetto voice in Take It To The Limit) and a couple from Timmy B. Schmidt.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

bwana39

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

jmd41280

Quote from: hbelkins on July 15, 2021, 11:54:15 AMAerosmith -- Joe Perry singing on "Combination" and "Bright Light Fright."

Joe also sang on "Walk on Down" from the Get a Grip album.

Other examples:

U2: The Edge sang on "Numb" from the Zooropa album.
Heart: Nancy Wilson sang on "These Dreams"
Van Halen: Eddie Van Halen sang on "How Many Say I" from the VH3 album (aka the one they did w/ Gary Cherone).
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

Flint1979

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 11:56:58 AM

More examples?
The drummer with Grand Funk Railroad.
Don Brewer

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.